ICICI Lombard General Insurance is one of the top private sector insurance companies. It deals in general insurance, investment management, home insurance and more.
ICICI Lombard Market Capitalisation
The market capitalisation of the company, as of March 2018, is close to Rs.36,097.97 crore.
ICICI Lombard Wealth and Recent Performance
Q1 FY 2018-19
- For the quarter ended on June 30, 2018, ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited reported its gross premiums written to be Rs.3,856 crore, as against Rs.3,394 crore reported for the same period of the previous fiscal year.
- The company’s total profit after tax for the June quarter was revealed to be Rs.289.2 crore, in comparison to a PAT of Rs.214.1 crore reported for the Q1 FY 2017-18. The company’s return on average equity was observed to be 24.7% for the quarter, as against 22.4% for the same period a year ago.
- For the quarter, the company’s basic earnings per share (EPS) improved from Rs.4.74 to Rs.6.37. The Board also approved a final dividend of Rs.2.50 for the year ended on March 31, 2018.
- For the year ended on March 31, 2018, ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company reported its gross premiums written to be worth Rs.12,600 crore. Over the previous fiscal year, this marked an improvement of a little over 10%.
- Considering the profit before tax for the year, it was observed to be Rs.1,196.2 crore, as against a PBT of Rs.910 crore for the FY17. Consequently, the profit after tax also improved for the year, from Rs.701.8 crore to Rs.861.7 crore.
- The basic earnings per share improved y-o-y from Rs.15.66 to Rs.19.01.
- The company’s debt-equity ratio also incurred a marginal improvement from 0.13 to 0.11, y-o-y. A similar improvement was also seen in the Return on Equity (ROE) from 20.3% to 20.8% y-o-y. As of March 31, 2018, the company’s net worth is Rs.4,541.1 crore.
Q3 FY 2017-18
- The profit after tax (PAT) increased 5.20% at Rs.231.76 crore for the third quarter ended 31 December 2017. A 17.8% growth on a year-on-year (YoY) basis was reported by the company for the gross direct premium at Rs. 2,937 crores.
- ICICI Lombard’s combined ratio improved to 96% in Q3 of FY18 from 106.6% a year ago. A combined ratio is a measure of a companies underwriting performance. The ROE (return on average equity) increased to 22.4% in Q3 FY18, up from 20.4% in Q3 FY17.
- The solvency ratio of the company improved 2.21 times as against 2.01 times in December, 2016. As per regulatory requirement, the solvency ratio needs to be 1.50 times.
- The company reported an underwriting loss of Rs.12.71 crore as against Rs.10.4 crore in the same quarter in 2017. The loss was attributed to 87% fall in premium from the government health business at Rs.8 crore.
- ICICI Lombard’s net worth as on December 31, 2017 was Rs.43.29 billion. The company crossed Rs.100 billion of gross direct premium income (GDPI) in 2017.
- In January 2018, the company launched cashless insurance for outpatient consultations (OPD) by teaming up with healthcare startup, Practo.
ICICI Lombard Stock Trends in 2018
- The opening price of the share on January 1, 2018 was Rs.775 on NSE and it soon crossed Rs.800. By the end of the month the closing price of the stock was Rs.795.
- The stock price again crossed Rs.800 in February 2018 and closed at Rs.816 at the end of the month.
- In the month of March, the price of the share did not change and was Rs.800 in the middle of the month.
- In the second half of the month, however, the shares took a massive dive to enter the Rs.700 region. The scrip went below the Rs.750 mark, although by the end of the month, it was back to its previous levels above Rs.765.
- The share price of ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company dipped gradually over the course of April. The scrip commenced the month trading at levels around Rs.790. The same, on 30 April, was observed to be at Rs.759. Things didn’t change considerably in June. For most of the month, the shares were traded at levels varying from Rs.720 - Rs.740.
- The stock price went down further over the course of June with the shares inching closer to the Rs.600. A similar bearish trend was seen in the first half of July as well, with the shares being traded at levels close to Rs.700. A final dividend of 25% was also announced in the month.
- This announcement was followed by a meteoric rise in the shares. Through the remainder of July, the ICICI Lombard shares gained a little over 10% to touch the Rs.770 mark once again. In August, the shares stabilised at those levels. In September, the scrip gained another 15% to ascend well into the Rs.900 region.
- On September 10, the scrip reached its 52-week high at Rs.932.40 on the NSE.
ICICI Lombard Stock Trends in 2017
- The company debuted on market on September 27, 2017 with an opening price of Rs.651. The share price crosses Rs.700 mark in mid October.
- In the beginning of November, the share price was Rs.675 and did not change much throughout the month. The stock price was over Rs.700 in December 2017 and continued to increase to Rs.792 by the end of the month.
Should you invest in ICICI Lombard General Insurance?
ICICI Lombard General Insurance holds 18% share among private sector non-life insurers in the country, It debuted in the stock market in September 2017. The price of the share has been stable in the past 6 months. As the stock is new in the market, it will take some time to understand the behaviour of the share over the coming months. Investing in the stock from a long-term perspective could be a good option. However, it is advised to consult a financial expert and do thorough research about other companies stock before investing.
ICICI Lombard offers several insurance solutions such as two-wheeler, travel, health, home, business, NRI, car, third party, rural, and more. The company also deals in investment management services, reinsurance, and insurance claims management. ICICI Lombard’s clientele includes government-owned enterprises, conglomerates, state and central governments or rural customers, small and medium enterprises, and individual customers. All the aforementioned clientele are approached via several channels like brokers, direct alliances, agents and online platforms.
History of the Company
Established in 2001, ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company is a joint venture between ICICI Bank and Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited- a financial services company based in Toronto. In 2006, the company crossed the receipt of Rs.10 billion of GDPI while it settled more than 5 million claims in 2010. The number of policies issued by the company crossed 10 million in 2014 while the profit after tax (PAT) crossed Rs.5 billion. In 2016, ICICI Lombard became the first general insurance company in India to issue subordinated debt. ICICI Bank sold a 9% stake in ICICI General Fairfax Financial Holdings, at a company valuation of Rs.172.25 billion in fiscal 2016. As a result of the transaction, ICICI Bank’s ownership in ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company is approximately 64% while Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited’s ownership is 35% respectively.
Mr. Bhargav Dasgupta - CEO and MD
Mr. Bhargav Dasgupta is serving as the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director at ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited since May 1, 2009. He joined ICICI in 1992 in the Project Finance Department. From 2003 to October 2006, he was working as a Senior General Manager at ICICI Bank Ltd. He was also in charge of International Banking Group. Since May 1, 2009, Mr. Bhargav has been a Director of ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited and also served as Executive Director of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd. from October 24, 2006 to April 30, 2009. An alumnus of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, Mr. Dasgupta holds an engineering degree from Jadhavpur University.
ICICI Lombard in NSE and BSE
The stocks of ICICI Lombard kcan be bought and sold on the two major stock exchanges in the country - National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange. The codes for the same are mentioned below.
BSE - 540716
NSE - ICICIGI
ISIN - INE765G01017
Sector - Diversified
ICICI Lombard House
414, P.Balu Marg,
Off Veer Sawarkar Marg,
near Siddhivinayak Temple, Prabhadevi
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds . It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.