Petronet LNG Ltd. (PLL) is one of the leading players that belongs to the energy sector in India, It deals in oil and natural gas space.Market Capitalisation
The market capitalisation of Petronet LNG Ltd. on 9 June 2018 is a little over Rs.32,700.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- Petronet posted a net profit of Rs.522.76 crore in the quarter four ended March FY 2017-2018. It was up 11% as against Rs.470.71 crore in the same quarter a year ago. The company recorded highest ever profit before tax (PBT) of Rs.3,055 crore in FY 2017-18, that was up 29% as against Rs.2,360 crore in the corresponding period. Meanwhile, the profit after tax (PAT) was Rs.2,078 crore for FY 2017-18, up 21% as against Rs.1,706 Cr in FY 2016-17.
- The significant increase in profit as compared to FY 2016-17 was attributed to increase in the regasification capacity of the Dahej Terminal and better efficiency in operations.
- The company produced highest every quantity of gas during FY 2017-18. Petronet LNG Ltd’s Dahej Terminal operated at 107% of its capacity and processed highest ever LNG quantities of 816 TBTU. This was a 14% increase above the LNG quantities processed in FY 2016-17, i.e. 714 TBTUs. The overall LNG processed by the company in FY 2017-18 was 848 TBTU, up 16% as compared to 728 TBTU processed in 2016-17.
- The Board of Directors of the company recommended a dividend of Rs.4.50 per equity share of Rs.10 each (45 %) for the FY 2017-18.
- PLL is looking forward to invest Rs.400 crore in the current financial year (2018-2019) as compared to Rs.200 crore spent in the last fiscal. The company is also planning to invest a whopping $2.5 billion to set up liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals in Mauritius, Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka.
Petronet LNG Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- On 1 January 2018, the opening price of Petronet LNG was Rs.254 on NSE. It fell by over 20 points in the first half of the month and picked up again by the end of the month. The opening price of the stock at the end January 2018 was Rs.258. In the month of February, the scrip changed marginally. However, in March the stock price fell by over 20 points and ended the month at Rs.226. The scrip fell a few points further in the month of April but was stable by the end of the month.
- In May, the Board of the company announced dividend in the later half of the month. The scrip continued to fall and end the month at Rs.218. The downfall of the stock price was also seen in June 2018. The opening price of the stock by the end of June was Rs.207.
Petronet LNG Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The opening price of the Petronet LNG at the beginning of January 2016 was Rs.124 on NSE. It remained stable throughout the month and did not report any change. The month of February and March did not bring any major change in the price of the stock. The opening price of the stock on 31 March 2016 was Rs.123. However, the scrip gained some momentum in the month of April and ended the month at Rs.130.
- In May, the price of the stock increased 10 points in the first half of the month. However, the company’s net profit fell 20% in Q4 owing to which the scrip fell again. The price of the stock in June was at Rs.145 by the end of the month. In July, the price of the stock was stable and changed hardly. The scrip finally picked up in the month of August and increased by over 25 points and hit Rs.170 by the end of the month.
- In September, the scrip did not fell by 10 points. However, in October the price of the stock gained some strength and increased by 30 points to cross Rs.200. The opening price of the stock by the end of the month was Rs.195. In November, the price of the stock fell by 20 points in the first of the month. It gained back 10 points after the company announced a strong growth in the profit in Q2. The scrip changed marginally throughout December. The opening price of the stock at the end of the month was Rs.185.
- In January 2017, the price of the stock fluctuated between Rs.185-Rs.190. The scrip gained some strength in February and crossed Rs.200 at the end of the month. In the month of March, the price of the stock was pretty stable and saw marginal fluctuations. The scrip picked up momentum in April and gained over 20 points. The price of the stock at the end of April was Rs.211.
- In the month of May, the price of the stock continued to perform well as the company reported a nearly double profit in Q4. The scrip changed marginally in June and ended the month at Rs.213. However, the stock price reduced in July to Rs.202. In August, the scrip increased with with over 10 points and was at Rs.225 by the end of the month.
- The scrip gained over 20 points in the month of September and kept increasing throughout October. The price of Petronet LNG stock increased by more than 50 points and crossed Rs.270. By the end of the month, the scrip was at Rs.262. In November, the scrip fell by around 20 points and ended the month at Rs.254. The price of the stock changed marginally in the month of December and wasat Rs.251 by the end of the month.
Should you invest in Petronet LNG Ltd.?
- The stock price of Petronet LNG has been quite stable for a couple of years. It has not showcased a drastic change in the price and has not been volatile. The company had a strong growth in FY 2017-2018 profit. It also has lined up investments for the 2018-19 financial year.
- You can consider Petronet LNG Ltd. stock for long-term investment purpose. However, it is strongly advised that you do a thorough research before investing your hard-earned money in the stock market as it involves a certain amount of risk and uncertainty.
Petronet LNG Ltd. is a company that belongs to the energy sector. The company was formed as a Joint Venture by the Government of India to import LNG and set up LNG terminals in the country. Petronet LNG was responsible to set up India’s first LNG receiving and regasification terminal at Dahej, Gujarat. The capacity of Dahej Terminal will expand to 17.5 million tons per year till 2019 from 15 million metric tons per year. Some of the company’s promoters are Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), GAIL (India) Limited (GAIL), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), and Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL). Petronet also has a strategic partnership with GAZ De France, a company which is based in France. In addition the company has entered into an agreement with Ras Laffan Liquefied Natural Gas Company which is based in Qatar for LNG sale and purchase.
Management of the company
Mr.Prabhat Singh - Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Mr. Prabhat Singh took over as MD and CEO of Petronet LNG Ltd. in 2015. He has an experience of more than 35 years in Hydrocarbon Industry. He has previously served as a marketing director for of GAIL (India) Limited and also as a Chairman of Ratnagiri Gas and Power Private Limited (RGPPL). Singh is a
is an Engineering graduate from IIT, Kanpur. He has worked in several projects related to Planning and Management, Exploration and Production and Training & Organizational Reforms. His major contribution has been the execution of world's longest exclusive LPG pipeline from Jamnagar to Loni.
Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stock of Petronet LPG Ltd. is available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Sector: Infrastructure - Oil drilling and exploration
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- BSE 100
- BSE 200
- BSE 500
- CNX 500
1st Floor, World Trade Center
Babar Road, Barakhamba Lane
New Delhi - 110 001, India
Tel: +91 - 11 - 2341 1411, 2347 2525
Fax: +91 - 11 - 2347 2550
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.