Canara Bank Recurring Deposit (RD) is an easy small-saving scheme you can choose if you’re looking to start saving money. You can open an RD account with the Canara Bank for tenures between 6 months and 120 months, in multiple of 3 months. You can start saving with a minimum of Rs.50 per month and in multiples thereof, and there’s no maximum amount.
Given below is a list of interest rates offered by Canara Bank on its RD scheme according to the tenure of the deposit.
|Term Deposits (All Maturities)||General Public||Senior Citizen|
|Rate of Interest (% p.a)||Annualised Interest yield **||Rate of Interest (% p.a)||Annualised Interest yield **|
|7 days to 14 days *||4.50||4.58%||5.00||5.09%|
|15 days to 30 days||4.50||4.58%||5.00||5.09%|
|31 days to 45 days||4.50||4.58%||5.00||5.09%|
|46 days to 60 days||5.50||5.61%||6.00||6.14%|
|61 days to 90 days||5.50||5.61%||6.00||6.14%|
|91 days to 120 days||5.50||5.61%||6.00||6.14%|
|121 days to 179 days||5.50||5.61%||6.00||6.14%|
|180 days to 269 days||5.95||6.08%||6.45||6.61%|
|270 days to less than 1 year||5.95||6.08%||6.45||6.61%|
|1 year only||6.40||6.56%||6.90||7.08%|
|Above 1 year to less than 2 years||6.00||6.14%||6.50||6.66%|
|2 years & above to less than 3 years||6.00||6.14%||6.50||6.66%|
|3 years & above to less than 5 years||6.25||6.40%||6.75||6.92%|
|5 years & above to less than 8 years||6.25||6.40%||6.75||6.92%|
|8 years & above to 10 years||6.25||6.40%||6.75||6.92%|
|~ 111 days (Canara Khazana Deposit)||5.50||5.61%||6.00||6.14%|
|~ 222 days (Canara Khazana Deposit)||5.95||6.08%||6.45||6.61%|
|~ 333 days (Canara Khazana Deposit)||5.95||6.08%||6.45||6.61%|
|444 Days (Canara Shikhar Deposit)||6.00||6.14%||6.50||6.66%|
|555 Days (Canara Shikhar Deposit)||6.00||6.14%||6.50||6.66%|
*The above interest rates are for investments less than Rs.2 crore.
Interest rates offered to NRIs who wish to open an RD account with Canara BankGiven below are the rates of interest charged by Canara Bank for Non-Resident Indians who wish to open a Recurring Deposit Account at Canara Bank:
|Period of Deposit||Less than Rs.2 Crore|
|Rate of Interest (% per annum)||Annualised Interest Yield *|
|1 year only||6.40||6.56%|
|Above 1 year to less than 2 yrs||6.00||6.14%|
|2 yrs & above to less than 3 yrs||6.00||6.14%|
|3 yrs & above to less than 5 yrs||6.25||6.40%|
|5 yrs & above to less than 8 yrs||6.25||6.40%|
|8 yrs & above to 10 yrs||6.25||6.40%|
|444 Days (Canara Shikhar Deposit)||6.00||6.14%|
|555 Days (Canara Shikhar Deposit)||6.00||6.14%|
*The above interest rates are for investments less than Rs.2 crore.
Factors for Opening a Canara Bank RD Account
In order to open an RD account, you’re required to meet the eligibility criteria specified by the bank. The following factors are essential to consider before opening Canara Bank Recurring Deposit Account:
- Eligibility: Canara Bank RD account is available for any individual, joint account, Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), guardian of a minor, a company, an association, proprietorship firm, a trust, or any institution who fulfils the eligibility requirements.
- Deposit Amount: An account can be opened for a minimum of Rs.50 per month for a fixed term without any cap on the maximum amount.
- Term of Deposit: An RD account can be opened for a minimum period of 6 months and maximum of up to 120 months or 10 years, in multiples of three.
- Rate of Interest: Depending on the deposit amount and the account term, the interest will be compounded on a quarterly basis. Senior citizens are entitled to an additional 0.50% interest rate over and above the regular interest rate for individuals below 60 years of age.
- Premature Withdrawal: If the account is liquidated before the maturity, the account will be subject to premature withdrawal charges of 1% that are opened on or before 04 February 2011. Additionally, you’ll earn interest at 1% less than the interest rate set on the date of deposit and as applicable for the period.
Canara Bank Recurring Deposit: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for opening a recurring deposit account in Canara bank is as follows:
- Any individual is eligible to open a recurring deposit account with Canara bank.
- An individual can also open a recurring deposit account with another person. The account will be a joint account.
- A minor can open a recurring deposit account in Canara bank under the supervision of the natural or legal guardian.
- A Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) is also eligible for opening a recurring deposit account in Canara bank.
- A proprietorship firm, a company, a trust, an association or an institution is eligible to open a RD account as a group.
Documents Required to Open Canara Bank RD Account
- The application form in the bank’s prescribed form for opening a recurring deposit account in Canara bank.
- A copy of your PAN card.
- If you do not have a PAN card, then you must submit the Form 60/61.
- 2 passport size photographs of the applicant.
- Address proof of the applicant along with the address according to KYC rules.
- Any documents that the bank may require from the proprietorship firm, the company, trust, the association or institution.
How to Apply for a Canara Bank RD Account
In order to apply for an RD account, you are required to visit any of the Canara Bank’s branch with the following documents –
- Bank specified application form.
- PAN card copies or Form 60 or 61 in the absence of PAN.
- 2 copies of photographs.
- Proof of identity.
- Proof of address.
- Other documents based on the applicant’s profile.
Premature Withdrawal of Canara Bank Recurring Deposit
Any premature withdrawal or closure of the recurring deposit account by a person in Canara bank will be charged a penalty of 1% on RDs that are opened on or after 04 February 2011. Also, such RDs will earn interest at 1% less than the interest rate set on the date of deposit and as applicable for the period run.
Canara Bank Dhanvarsha RD Scheme
Canara Dhanvarsha is a flexible recurring deposit scheme which allows the account holders to deposit more than the monthly required amount. Under this scheme, the customer can choose to invest surplus/bonus funds into their Canara Dhanvarsha account. The extra deposits will reward the account holder with additional interest over and above the contractual interest on the required monthly deposits.
Canara Bank Dhanvarsha RD Scheme is available for both residents as well as non-resident Indians. By making a minimum monthly deposit of Rs.1,000 up to a maximum of Rs.1 lakh, the Canara Dhanvarsha RD account can be opened for a minimum of 1 year up to a maximum of 10 years. This scheme doesn’t provide any special interest rates for senior citizens. Facilities such as nomination, loan facilities, etc. are applicable under this scheme.
Benefits of An RD Account
An RD account is one of the ideal avenues for saving money conveniently. Moreover, the nest-egg built through an RD account with a systematic and regular saving approach can help in achieving your financial goals to a large extent.
RD accounts are popular for various features which are beneficial to the account holder. A customer can open an RD account and earn interest on it by paying a small amount every month for a specific duration of time. At maturity, the account holder will earn interest on the RD account based on the deposit value, the tenure of the account, and the terms and conditions specified by the bank. Additionally, Canara Bank RD holders can expect the following benefits and features from their accounts:
- Deposit Amount: Canara Bank RD account can be opened for a minimum of Rs.50 per month. If you want to save more, you can choose to increase the amount in multiples of Rs.50. Moreover, there is no cap on the maximum deposit amount making it more desirable and convenient to individuals who have a higher savings goal.
- Deposit Term: Based on your requirement, you can choose to open an RD account for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 10 years.
- Rate of Returns: The interest is compounded on a quarterly basis which offers high returns even when the customer wants to opt for the premature withdrawal. The rate of interest is based on the term of the deposit, account holder’s age and other factors such as tax rules, premature withdrawal, etc.
- Loan Facility: Since most RD account holders move a considerable amount of their income to an RD account, an emergency or an uncertain situation can force the customer to consider liquidation or premature withdrawal. However, in order to ensure a certain kind of financial protection for customers, Canara Bank offers a maximum of 90% of the available deposit balance as the loan against the RD account. The calculation of the permissible loan amount is based on the value of the deposit, deposit terms, and other eligibility factors as per the terms and conditions of the bank.
- Nomination: The RD account holders can choose to either edit the nominee’s details which were provided at the opening of the account or modify the details later during the account term.
FAQs on Canara Bank Recurring Deposit
- How can I open an RD account in Canara Bank?
- Is there a difference between the interest rates for RD and FD?
- What are the documents required for opening an RD account?
Customers/applicants can visit any of the Canara Bank’s branch to open an RD.
No, most banks provide similar interest rates for both RD and FD accounts.
In addition to the filled in application form, applicants are required to have the following documents:
- Pan Card copy or Form 60 or 61 (in case of no PAN)
- 2 passport size photographs of the applicant
- Proof of identity and proof of address
- Specified documents based on the applicant’s profile
An RD account can be opened for as low as Rs.50 per month while there is no limit on the maximum amount of deposits.
An RD account can be opened for a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 10 years.
Yes, however, there are certain types of RD account that don’t have a renewal option.
Yes, you can either add the nomination while opening the RD account or before the maturity by contact the branch,
Yes, a customer can avail a maximum of 90% of the total deposit balance as the loan amount. It is a secured loan where the loan is given against the FD account, hence the deposits in the FD will be held as collateral.
Senior citizens are entitled to an additional 0.50% of interest rates on any of the FD accounts.
Yes, however, the liquidation will be subject to premature closure charges.
Yes, a guardian is allowed to open an RD account on behalf of a minor.
Canara Bank levies a 1% premature withdrawal charge on accounts that are opened on or after 04 February 2011. Also, such prematurely closed accounts will earn 1% lesser interest rate than it was set at the date of deposit and as applicable for the period.
With pan-India presence, Canara Bank can be contacted through telephone, email, or a branch visit.
More you need to know about Recurring Deposit
- RD Calculator
- Recurring Deposit
- Compare Recurring Deposit Interest Rate of Canara Bank with Other Banks and Institutions
- Tax on Recurring Deposit Interest Rates