The Canara Bank Recurring Deposit account enables an individual to save a certain amount of money on a monthly basis where he/she can earn an interest as applicable on a Fixed Deposit (FD) account. The Canara Bank RD account holder can earn an interest rate of 6.00% - 6.75% on the RD account based on the tenure, the age of the account holder, and other eligibility criteria. Canara Bank provides an option to open an RD account for a minimum 6 months up to a maximum of 10 years. An RD account can be opened for a fixed tenure which can be liquidated if required. However, the interest rates on these types of accounts are subject to premature liquidation fee as per the terms and conditions as specified by the bank.
|Deposit Tenure||General Customers (%)||Senior Citizen (%)|
|1 year only||6.5||7|
|Above 1 year to less than 2 years||6.3||6.8|
|2 years & above to less than 3 years||6.2||6.7|
|3 years & above to less than 5 years||6.2||6.7|
|5 years & above to less than 8 years||6||6.5|
|8 years & above to 10 years||6||6.5|
Benefits of An RD Account
An RD account is considered to be one of the ideal avenues for saving money conveniently. Moreover, the nest-egg built through an RD account with a systematic and regular saving approach can help a customer in achieving his/her financial goals to a large extent.
RD accounts are popular for various features which are beneficial to the account holder. A customer can open an RD account and earn interest on it by paying a small amount every month for a specific duration of time. At maturity, the account holder will earn interest on the RD account based on the deposit value, the tenure of the account, and the terms and conditions specified by the bank. Additionally, Canara Bank RD holders can expect the following benefits and features from their accounts -
- Deposit Amount: Canara Bank RD account can be opened for a minimum of Rs.50 per month. If the customer wants to save more, he/she can choose to increase the amount in multiples of Rs.50. Moreover, there is no cap on the maximum deposit amount making it more desirable and convenient to individuals who have a higher savings goal.
- Deposit Term: Based on the customer’s requirements, he/she can choose to open an RD account for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 10 years.
- Rate of Returns: The interest is compounded on a quarterly basis which offers high returns even when the customer wants to opt for the premature withdrawal. The rate of interest is based on the term of the deposit, account holder’s age and other factors such as tax rules, premature withdrawal, etc.
- Loan Facility: Considering the fact that most RD account holders move a considerable amount of their income to an RD account, an emergency or an uncertain situation can force the customer to consider liquidation or premature withdrawal. However, in order to ensure a certain kind of financial protection for the customers, Canara Bank offers a maximum of 90% of the available deposit balance as the loan against the RD account. The calculation of the permissible loan amount is based on the value of the deposit, deposit terms, and other eligibility factors as per the terms and conditions of the bank.
- Nomination: The RD account holders can choose to either edit the nominee’s details which were provided at the opening of the account or modify the details later during the account term.
Factors to Consider for Opening a Canara Bank RD Account
In order to open an RD account, an individual is required to meet the eligibility criteria specified by the bank. The following factors are essential to consider before opening an RD account –
- Eligibility: Canara Bank RD account is available for any individual, joint account, Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), guardian of a minor, a company, an association, proprietorship firm, a trust, or any institution who fulfils the eligibility requirements.
- Deposit Amount: An account can be opened for a minimum of Rs.50 per month for a fixed term without any cap on the maximum amount.
- Term of Deposit: An RD account can be opened for a minimum period of 3 months up to a maximum of 10 years.
- Rate of Interest: Depending on the deposit amount and the account term, the interest will be compounded on a quarterly basis. Senior citizens are entitled to an additional 0.50% interest rate over and above the regular interest rate for individuals below 60 years of age.
- Premature Withdrawal: If the account is liquidated before the maturity, the account will be subject to premature withdrawal charges as specified by the bank.
How to Open a Canara Bank RD Account?
In order to open an RD account, the individual is required to visit any of the Canara Bank’s branch with the following documents –
- Bank specified application form
- PAN card copy or Form 60 or 60 in the absence of PAN
- 2 copies of photographs
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Other documents based on the applicant’s profile
What is Canara Dhanvarsha RD Scheme?
Canara Dhanvarsha is a flexible recurring deposit scheme which allows the account holders to deposit more than the monthly required amount. Under this scheme, the customer can choose to invest surplus/bonus funds into their Canara Dhanvarsha account. The extra deposits will reward the account holder with additional interest over and above the contractual interest on the required monthly deposits.
Canara Dhanvarsha RD scheme is available for both residents as well as non-resident Indians. By making a minimum monthly deposit of Rs.1,000 up to a maximum of Rs.1 lakh, the Canara Dhanvarsha RD account can be opened for a minimum of 1 year up to a maximum of 10 years. This scheme doesn’t provide any special interest rates for senior citizens. Facilities such as nomination, loan facilities, etc. are applicable under this scheme.
Interest Rates on Canara Bank RD Accounts
The following interest rates are applicable for deposits which are less than Rs.1 crore -If the deposits are for a fixed term of 7 to 14 days, the interest rates will be applicable only for single deposit of Rs.5 lakh and above. Senior citizens are provided with an additional interest of 0.50% per annum. Depending on the type of the RD account, a customer might be entitled to a special interest rate. The interest rates mentioned above are also applicable for FD accounts. The interest rates for deposits of Rs.1 crore and above can be obtained from one the Canara Bank’s branches.
More you need to know about Recurring Deposit
- RD Calculator
- Canara Bank Recurring Deposit
- Recurring Deposit
- Compare Recurring Deposit Interest Rate of Canara Bank with Other Banks and Institutions
Canara Bank RD Schemes
Read More Articles On RD
- Best Bank for Recurring Deposit in India
- Recurring Deposit Interest Rates of All Banks
- Tax on Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
Know how to Link Your KYC Dcuments to Canara Bank Account
Perfect Fixed Deposit Deals for you
News About Canara Bank Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
Canara Bank Slashes Term Deposit Rates
Canara Bank has reduced the term deposit rates. The 1 year FD rate has been slashed by 0.10%, bringing it down to 6.9%. Canara Bank is now in tandem with HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank. As per a senior official, bank do not wish to keep the high cost deposits anymore. The deposit rates have now been aligned with the reduced lending rates.
2nd May 2017
Canara Bank’s Recurring Deposit Rates Revised
Canara Bank have revised their Recurring Deposit interest rates. Recurring deposits with a tenure of 2 years will now pay interest of 7.75% (senior citizens will receive 8.25%). The old rate for this tenure was 8% (8.50% for senior citizens).
The rate for a 3 year tenure has also been changed to 7.75% (8.25% for senior citizens) from the old rate of 8% (8.50% for senior citizens).
The rates of interest for the other Recurring Deposit tenures remain unchanged.
2nd March 2016