About India Post
Commonly referred to as the ‘post office’, the Department of Post, also known as India Post, is the government operated postal system of India. Founded all the way back in 1774, India Post is a part of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology and offers multiple services to the Indian population like letter post, parcel service, EMS (Enterprise Messaging System), delivery, freight forwarding, third party logistics, insurance, deposit accounts and more.
Recurring Deposit from India Post
India Post offers it’s customers the facility of a 5-Year Recurring Deposit (RD) Account which is essentially a deposit scheme allowing customers to add to their savings by investing money which earns interest over a fixed period of time. An RD is usually opened for a fixed period of time and deposits must be made at predetermined intervals which may be monthly, quarterly, depending on the terms and conditions of the deposit scheme. Unlike a fixed deposit, an RD is not a one-time investment and may be closed before its maturity date. The India Post Recurring Deposit Account is an ideal investment option for first time investors or young professionals as it does not require customers to invest large sums of money towards installments but does earn you handsome interest at the end of the maturity period.
Features of India Post Recurring Deposit
- Customers can open an RD Account with a minimum of Rs 10/- per month or any amount in multiples of Rs 5/-. There is no maximum limit on the amount one may wish to invest each month.
- You can open an RD Account by paying in cash or by cheque. In case payment is made by cheque, the date of presentation of the cheque will be considered as the date of deposit.
- Customers can avail the Nomination facility not only at the time of opening the account but also afterwards.
- You can transfer your Recurring Deposit Account from one post office to another.
- Customers are free to open any number of RD Accounts in any Post Office of their choice.
- Customers making an advance deposit for at least 6 months are entitled to a rebate.
- Customers have the option of converting a Single account to a Joint account and vice versa.
- If the RD Account has been opened by the 15th of a month, then the subsequent deposit to the same can be made up to the 15th of the month. If the account has been opened after the 16th of the month, up to the last day of the month, then the subsequent deposit can also be made up to the last working day of the month.
- After attaining majority, a minor must apply for converting the RD account in their name.
- Customers are allowed one withdrawal of up to 50% of the account balance after one year of opening the account.
- Any delay in deposits will attract a default fee at the rate of 5 paise for every Rs 5 of the deposit amount. If a customer defaults on deposit payments for 4 consecutive times, the account shall be discontinued and can be revived in a period of 2 months. However, if the account is not revived, then no further deposit can be made.
- Recurring Deposit Accounts can be opened by individuals as single or as joint accounts.
- An RD Account can be opened in the name of a minor. Minor individuals aged 10 years and above can open and operate their RD accounts.
The India Post 5-Year Recurring Deposit Account offers an interest rate of 7.4% per annum which is compounded quarterly.
Know the Current Recurring Deposit Rates
- Post Office RD Interest Rates Comparison with Other Banks and Institutions
- Post Office Recurring Deposit Interest Rate
Read More Articles On RD
- Flexi Recurring Deposit Schemes
- Which Bank Gives Highest Interest Rate On Recurring Deposit
- Recurring Deposit Interest Rates of All Banks
- Tax on Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
News About Post Office Recurring Deposit
Venkaiah Naidu: Post Offices have an Important Role to Play
M Venkaiah Naidu, the Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting said that the postal department and services, contrary to popular misconception, has defied the rise of mobile and internet services. While inaugurating the Telangana Postal Circle, he said that the Telangana Postal Circle and Andhra Pradesh Postal Circle will cater to the state's’ needs while increasing their efficiency. He also said that the Andhra Pradesh Postal Circle will receive new headquarters in due time.
The Minister of State for Communications and Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha said that the Department of Posts is currently in the process of setting up the India Post Payment Banks with complete Government equity. He also said that the number of saving accounts in post offices increased by 3 crores within a year of the functioning of the NDA government. He said that the India Post has reinvented its role in rural narrative.
17th September 2016
Post Office Agents Recognized for their Contribution
Post Office agents have received their much needed recognition. Senior Superintendent of Tezpur Head Post Office, A Patnayak, has observed that the PO agents are contributing a lot to the national coffers. He also also encouraged them to collect small saving deposits under the post offices of Darrang and Udalguri. These agents have helped create awareness amongst villagers in rural and remote areas. There is no cap on the maximum limit of post office agents. This has helped minimise the unemployment problems in India. Post offices have much-needed work ahead of them to reform and offer more facilities to the people. Customers should also be able to access and avail of these facilities at home. The post office currently offers PPF, NSC, Savings deposits, Recurring deposits, Sukanya Vriddhi Scheme, Kisan Vikas Patra, Life insurance, and more. These national schemes are being conveyed to every citizen through the agents. The cooperation of these PO agents bring strength to the national economy.
12th November 2015