Motor insurance, apart from protecting the insured vehicle, can safeguard the life of the owner/driver as well. Several general insurance companies in India provide car insurance with limited and comprehensive coverage options. These companies provide their subscribers with the most suitable form of insurance for their specific needs.
There are various types of calamities that can befall a motor vehicle. Some of these include theft, collision, vandalism, in-transit damage, flood damage, etc. These are not very uncommon occurrences when compared to unpredictable mishaps that involve visitors from the animal kingdom.
Types Of Animal Attacks:
Colliding with animals on the highway are probably some of the most common types of animal attacks we hear of. However, animal attacks are not limited to such incidents. In some cases, the animal can cause damage to the vehicle without even being involved in such a collision. Some examples are listed below:
- A pet left unattended in the backseat of the vehicle for a short time can chew on the upholstery or even tear it up.
- A large animal such as a cow or a bull can come charging towards a car resulting in punctures and dents on the body of the vehicle.
- A rodent can chew on the wiring in the engine compartment of a car and damage it.
- A stray cat can climb in through the sunroof and damage the interiors of the vehicle.
Irrespective of how the car is damaged, animal attack incidents will be covered under a comprehensive car insurance policy. In other words, the policyholder will not be deemed responsible for the damage and insurance payout will be offered as usual. The policyholder will have to bear the deductibles at the time of a claim. If the animal was the pet of a neighbour, that person may or may not be held responsible for the incident. This totally depends on the specifics of the event.
How To Identify An Animal Attack Damage:
Usually, the cause of the damage is evident when you start investigating. At other times, the owner of the car may not be aware of the animal attack until the vehicle reaches a body shop. For instance, a car that has been parked for a long time may not start. After you tow the vehicle to a service centre, you may find the wires chewed on by the rodents. There may also be foul odours emanating from the inside of the vehicle that could be the result of a decaying animal.
Chewed wiring may result in short-circuits and cause total loss to the owner. The foul odours in the vehicle can also be very difficult to remove.
How To Prevent Animal Attack Damage:
It is not possible to avoid animal damages, as these are unprecedented events. But it is possible to reduce the loss from such an occurrence, as elucidated below:
- Keep the windows closed - Do not forget to close all the windows when the car is parked or is unattended for an extended duration. Also remember to close the sunroof.
- Start the car frequently - You should not leave the vehicle unattended without starting it regularly. Starting the car and moving it around frequently will prevent animals using it as a nesting place, resulting in mechanical problems.
- Equip your car with comprehensive car insurance policy - Although this does not protect your car from animal attack, it helps to alleviate the losses you incur from vehicle damages. Even if you do not use the vehicle too often, it is imperative that you buy extensive insurance protection for your car.
- Do not eat or store food in your car - Eating in your vehicle results in stains on the upholstery. It may also attract rodents or other pests.
- Park the car in a garage - Keep the vehicle in a garage to prevent attention from animals. This will also protect it from attack by wild animals. You should pay close attention to keeping the garage free of pests.
How To Raise A Claim For Animal Attack:
It is crucial to file a claim for an animal attack damage as soon as you identify it. The insurance company will send a surveyor or adjuster to inspect the damage and confirm whether it was really due to an animal attack. If the owner has a comprehensive car insurance policy, the claim payout will be made without any hassles. In the event of a total loss scenario, the insurer will pay the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle less the deductibles.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- Tata AIG Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care