The Oriental Insurance Company Ltd was incorporated at Bombay on 12th September 1947. The Company was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Oriental Government Security Life Assurance Company Ltd and was formed to carry out General Insurance business. ORIENTAL with its head Office at New Delhi has 30 Regional Offices and nearly 1800+ operating Offices in various cities of the country.
Key Benefits of Oriental Car Insurance
Cashless Claim Networks
Direct Cashless Claim settlement in network garages across India
Automobile Association Membership Discount -Discount of 5% on the Own Damage premium subject to a maximum of Rs. 200/-
Accidental Cover /Customer Support
Cars manufactured prior to 31.12.40 and duly certified by the Vintage and Classic Cars Club of India - A discount of 25% on the OD Premium & TP Premium
Add-on Covers for Oriental Car Insurance
Liability to third parties, Personal Accident cover to owner-driver
Third Party Cover
compensation for personal injuries to third parties is unlimited, property damage is limited to Rs.6,000 only. This limit can be enhanced on payment of additional premium.
Personal Accident Cover
Personal accident cover for the owner driver for a specified sum insured.we alleviate the inconvenience by allowing benefit for use of an alternative vehicle for a limited period of time of 5,10 or 15 days with per day limit of Rs.400 or Rs.650
Inclusion & Exclusion in Oriental Car Insurance
Electrical / Electronic Fittings which do not form part of the vehicle manufactured and imported have to be specifically covered separately by paying additional premium of 4% on the value of such fittings
Damage, outside India unless covered by extra premium for Nepal, Bhutan & Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka &Maldives
Oriental Car Insurance Policy Highlights Updated on 16 Dec 2017
|Third Party Cover||Upto 7.5 L|
|Incurred Claim Ratio*||68.68%|
|Net Earned Premium*||295944|
*For Year 2015-2016
Oriental Insurance operates overseas in Nepal, Kuwait and Dubai while listing 14,000+ highly qualified and technically competent employees on its rolls. From humble beginnings- at just under a lakh rupees at inception, the Gross Premium as managed by the company has reached a staggering Rs.7282.54 crores in the financial year 2013-14. Oriental specializes in providing special covers to large scale projects like power plants, steel plants, etc. while also providing niche products to attend to the specific requirements of the urban and rural population of India.
Private Car Package Policy from Oriental Insurance Company Ltd.
For many of us, buying a car is a long drawn, meticulously planned event that justifies our stand as a financially independent individual. However, the perils that could befall your cherished vehicle are many. For such scenarios- and to ensure that you don’t lose your hard earned money over unintentional loss or damage caused to your car, theft, or the involvement of your vehicle in accidents that could have caused injury, loss of property or death of a third party- Oriental brings you a comprehensive and simple to execute car Insurance product. Oriental brings you the convenience of buying a robust Motor Insurance policy at the click of a button- and it takes all of 5 minutes!
Sum Insured Per The Oriental Private Car Package Policy
The sum insured will be the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle. Herein, the IDV for vehicles that are less than five years old is the manufacturers’ listed selling price that is suitably adjusted for depreciation depending upon the age of the vehicle, and in accordance with set norms. The IDV for vehicles that are older than five years is decided to be a mutually agreed upon value.
The tenure of this car insurance policy is 1 year, however coverage for shorter durations is also available.
Incidents Covered Under the Private Car Package Policy
- Damage or loss of vehicle that is caused accidentally.
- Third Party Liability wherein your vehicle was involved in an accident that caused loss, damage to property and/or injury, death to a third party.
- Natural Mishaps: Fire, explosion, self-ignition or lightning, earthquake, flood, typhoon, hurricane, storm, tempest, inundation, cyclone, hailstorm, frost, landslide, rockslide.
- Man-made: Burglary, theft, riot, strike, malicious act, accident by external means, terrorist activity, any damage in transit by road, rail, inland waterway, lift, elevator or air, etc.
Exclusions- Incidents That Aren’t Covered By The Policy
- Damage caused to vehicle when the driver wasn’t carrying a driver’s license, and/or driving under the influence of alcohol or other mood/mind stimulating substances.
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure.
- Damage to vehicle by war, mutiny or nuclear attacks.
- Depreciation in line with the market scenarios and other external conditions.
- Damage incurred while the car was operational outside India- unless covered by additional premium for Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- Vehicle was utilised as part of an agreement that isn’t suitably communicated to the insurer, including being used for hire or reward, speed tests, reliability trials, pace setting, racing, and any scenario involving motor trade.
- Damage caused to the tyres and tubes of the car- unless the damage occurred in an accident that ensured a liability of upto 50% of the overall value.
Additional Coverage from Oriental
|Nil Depreciation Cover||In cases of claims of partial damages to the vehicle, full value of the damaged parts shall be insured without taking into account the depreciation value|
|Loss of Personal Effects||The loss of personal items excluding monies, credit cards, laptops and mobile phones, are subject to a maximum payment of Rs.5000 or 10,000, payable when the loss is listed under the own damage section of the policy. An additional premium of Rs.400-650 is charged to avail this cover.|
|Alternative Car Benefit||Due to the accident/theft of your vehicle, you might have to use an alternative vehicle to meet your travel demands. Utilise the alternative vehicle for a duration of 5, 10 or 15 days with a daily limit of Rs.400 or Rs.650 in accordance with the premium charged. This benefit is applicable when your car is damaged beyond 20% of IDV and is disabled.|
|Free Emergency Services from TVS||If your vehicle is insured at any of our offices in Delhi & NCR, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, All Southern States, Mumbai or Kolkata, then your policy has a provision for FREE emergency services in the case of a breakdown.|
In conclusion, Oriental Private Car Insurance Package Policy is a well-rounded motor insurance cover for your cherished set of wheels that ensures that you are protected against all the major mishaps and unfortunate occurrences. The ease of purchase, the expert customer service network and the inclusion of many perks, makes this the ideal motor insurance for you. Why wait? Act Now!
How Is The Premium Calculated For Oriental Car Insurance?
The premium for the Oriental car insurance plan depends on the following factors:
- Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle - The IDV is essentially the current market value of the car. This is the selling price of the vehicle (as listed by the manufacturer) less the depreciation. The IDV is the maximum sum insured that the car insurance company pays the policyholder at the time of a total loss claim. The higher the IDV, the costlier it is to insure the vehicle.
- The cubic capacity of the engine - The part of the car insurance premium that corresponds to third-party liability is fixed by the IRDA on an annual basis. This depends on the cubic capacity of the vehicle’s engine.
The third-party liability premium rates for private cars for the year 2017-18 are as follows:
|Engine capacity||Premium (Rs.)|
|Not more than 1,000 cc||2,055|
|Between 1,000 cc and 1,500 cc||2,863|
|More than 1,500 cc||7,890|
- The area of registration of the car - If the car is used in an area that is prone to crimes and accidents, it will attract higher premiums.
- The age of the vehicle - The older the car the lower would be its insurance premium, and vice versa.
In addition to the above factors, the insurance company would also take into account the additional fittings in the vehicle while providing you an insurance quote. If the vehicle is equipped with a CNG/LPG kit, it would attract extra premium. Moreover, when you opt for add-on insurance you will have to pay additional premium as per the rider terms and conditions.
Oriental Car Insurance Premium Calculator Tool
The Oriental Insurance website has an online premium calculator tool that provides you a quote on car insurance for your specific needs.
- To access the Oriental car insurance premium calculator tool, you have to click on the menu option “Buy Online” for motor insurance.
- You will be taken to an online form that has to be accurately updated. You will need to provide the following details about the vehicle for the premium calculation:
- Type of vehicle - Update whether you are buying insurance for a two-wheeler or a private car.
- Type of policy - Update whether you would like to buy a package policy or a liability-only plan.
- Date of registration of the vehicle - This is the first registration date of the car, and it can be found in the RC book. In case you are buying insurance for a brand new car, you need not update the registration number. If you are seeking insurance for an older car, the registration date is mandatory. It should also be the same as or newer than the purchase date of the car.
- Date of purchase of the vehicle - Ideally, it should be the same day you buy the insurance.
- City of purchase - There is a drop-down list from which you should select the city from where you bought the car. In case you are not able to find the city name, you should select the name of the nearest city.
- RTO zone - Select the RTO zone from the drop-down list.
You will also be required to update additional details about the coverage you require:
- Does the vehicle use non-conventional fuel?
- Do you require an extension in geographical area?
- Do you require higher deductibles than the standard value?
- Are you a part of the Automobile Association of India (AAI)?
- Does the vehicle have an anti-theft device?
- Do you require coverage for personal belongings?
- Do you require personal accident cover for the driver?
- Do you require personal accident cover for passengers/other employees?
- Is the vehicle equipped with CNG/LPG system?
- Do you require Return-to-Invoice cover?
- Do you require nil depreciation cover?
- Do you require alternative car benefits?
- In case you have accessories fitted in the car, you should also give details of the same.
- Are you a member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)?
- You should also select the start date and end date of the insurance policy. Usually the start date is the same as the payment date and end date is one year following that.
- You should enter the vehicle’s registration number, engine number, colour, chassis number, and hypothecation type. You should also confirm whether any insurer has declined your application for car insurance.
- Finally, you will have to select the state, city, and branch office of the insurer from drop-down lists.
- Once you verify all the information provided in the form, you should click on the “Calculate Premium” button to receive a quote.
If you agree to the quote, then you can proceed with the purchase of the policy. You will have to furnish some additional personal details online and make the payment via credit/debit card or through net banking.
Alternatively, you can use the online premium calculator tool available at neutral financial broking websites. The tool will have an attractive graphical user interface and work in the same manner as the one on the Oriental Insurance website. On neutral websites, you have the advantage of being able to compare quotes from various insurance companies and decide on a plan that best matches your needs.
Why Should You Buy Car Insurance Online From Oriental Insurance Company Ltd.?
Buying car insurance online has a set of significant advantages:
- Discounts - Several insurance companies offer discounts to customers who choose the online route of policy purchase. The insurance company saves a considerable amount on online sales, specifically in the form of processing and distribution costs. This is effective mainly due to the elimination of insurance brokers or other such middlemen from the workflow. The insurer understandably gains a good amount from online sales. It further passes on this benefit to the customer through discounts and promotional offers for online policy purchase/renewal.
- Instant policy issuance - When a car owner renews motor insurance online, the policy issuance is instant. Usually insurance companies do not insist on a car survey unless the previous insurance of the vehicle has expired before the purchase of the new policy.
- Policy comparison - Online purchase of car insurance has the added benefit of policy comparison that is not possible when the purchase is made through the agent of an insurance company. The policy comparison facility online enables you to decide on a plan with maximum coverage at a nominal cost. At the time of renewal, it is highly recommended that you compare plans online. You can also switch insurers if you happen to find a better deal elsewhere.
- Safety measures - The facility of online policy issuance is extremely secure. Most insurance companies and neutral financial broking websites employ global security standards to protect your personal/confidential details. Online policy issuance is, in fact, more safe than policy purchase through offline channels as per reports from insurance companies.
- Easy and convenient - Online policy purchase and renewals are easy, and can be done from anywhere. The process also involves minimal paperwork.
- Online repository - One of the most notable advantages of buying insurance online is that you will have a record of the policy at the insurer’s website and you can download or refer to the same as needed. This is very useful, as it can serve as a safe storage for the policy documentation, protecting it from natural calamities and the like.
- Automated services - When you buy car insurance online, the after-sales services offered are extremely attractive. You can pay premiums online, track your insurance investments, file claims, etc. This enables customers to be self-sufficient, as there is no need to involve an agent for the clarification of queries. The whole process is also highly cost-effective and efficient.
Oriental Car Insurance Renewal
The Oriental Insurance website enables you to renew your car insurance policy online.
- For this, you will have to visit the insurer’s website and click on the “Renew” option.
- It is possible to renew car insurance policies issued by Oriental Insurance and others through the website.
- In case you are renewing an Oriental motor insurance policy, you should select the appropriate radio button. Then provide the existing policy number and click on “Renew Now” button. You will be able to see your policy details, renewal premium, and personal information on the online form. You should confirm the displayed details and proceed to pay the premium for renewal.
- If you are renewing a motor insurance policy from an alternate insurance company, you should select the corresponding radio button. You should then provide the existing policy number and select the type of insurance you are renewing. You will be required to update other details about the policy and agree to the premium quote to proceed with the payment. Once the payment is made, the policy will be renewed.
Alternatively, you can visit the nearest branch of the insurance company for Oriental car insurance renewal.
Oriental Car Insurance Claim
If the policyholder encounters a situation that qualifies for a claim, then he/she should do the following:
For accidental injuries:
- The policyholder should immediately send a written notice to the insurance company with all relevant documents.
- The claim form should be duly filled in and submitted along with the following documentation:
- Medical certificate that specifies the nature of the injuries
- Report from the medical examiner
- Details of the treatment availed
- Name of the hospital/nursing home/doctor
- Employer’s certificate that states that the policyholder was on leave for the duration specified in the claim
- Fitness certificate of the policyholder
For accidental death:
The following documents need to be submitted by the claimant in the event of an accidental death:
- FIR or police report
- Post-mortem report
- Departmental inquiry, if applicable
- Report from the hospital/nursing home/doctor
- Death certificate
The Oriental car insurance claim process is easy and hassle-free if you follow the guidelines and report the incident on time. The insurer also resolves all claims and makes the necessary payouts within the shortest possible time.
If your car has been stolen, you should immediately inform the office from where the policy was issued. You should also submit a written notification to Oriental Insurance. The insurer will then designate a surveyor for investigations. It is also necessary to notify the police and file an FIR. Any delays in notifying the police or the insurance company may jeopardise the claim settlement process.
Points To Note When Taking Insurance For Your Vehicle
When buying insurance for your vehicle, there are certain things you should keep in mind for a smooth process:
- You should fill up the proposal form accurately, as this plays a significant role in determining your premium. If you furnish incorrect information, your claim may not be honoured by the insurance company. Also, never let anyone else fill up the form for you, as the chances of submitting erroneous information would be higher in that case.
- You should ensure that information about the vehicle is recorded accurately.
- If there are any updates to the policy, it will be done in the form of endorsements by the insurance company. As soon as your policy is updated with an endorsement, you should verify it for accuracy.
- Read the policy terms and conditions thoroughly, as this would make you better equipped at the time of a claim.
- The insurance of the vehicle and its registration should be in the same name and address. Most insurance companies do not honour claims if this is not the case.
FAQs – Oriental Car Insurance
- Can I apply for Oriental Car Insurance if accident to my vehicle was caused by a person driving without a valid license?
No. Not even if you as the owner of the vehicle have an invalid driving license. No insurance cover can be claimed if the person driving does not have a valid driving license as Oriental Car Insurance has always condemned irresponsible driving.
- Do I have to close the existing insurance and buy a new one in case of relocation?
Some motor insurance companies do insist on switching automobile insurance as insurance procedures and premium calculations can vary slightly from state to state. But Oriental insurance has a more centralized approach and makes renewal of existing policy in another state very much possible. You need to fill in a fresh proposal form. Remember that the slightest error can result in claim denial. The specific branch can request for personal inspection of your vehicle and also insist on other formalities as per the situation. Please get in touch with the nearest branch for further assistance.
- Can I choose the amount of insurance?
No. Usually, the sum insured will be based on the Insured Declared Value of your bike/car, also called as IDV. If your vehicle is fairly new (i.e. less than 5 years old), the Oriental bank will count the manufacturer’s registered selling price as the IDV. This can be subjected to change with deprecation on the basis of age of your vehicle. For all automobiles older than 5 years and other outmoded (second hand) ones, the IDV is a jointly agreed sum between the owner and the insurance company.
- Does the insurer provide any discount in car insurance premium?
Yes, Oriental Insurance offers premium discounts to customers in the following manner:
- Voluntary deductible - At the time of a claim, this is a part of the claim amount that the policyholder chooses to bear. This can translate into a significant reduction in the annual premium. So, if you are a confident driver, you can opt for a higher voluntary deductible. This helps you save a considerable amount on premium in the long run.
- Anti-theft device - If the insured vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft device approved by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), the car insurance company offers a premium discount to the owner.
- Cumulative bonus - Oriental Insurance offers a cumulative bonus to policyholders who do not raise any claims in a policy year. This bonus for the first year will be 5%, and it increases by 5% every subsequent claim-free year. The sum insured under policy at renewal will hence, increase by 5% every year at the same premium. Up to 50% cumulative bonus can be earned by a policyholder, which is a significant increase in the sum insured.
- Automobile association membership - If the policyholder is a member of the Automobile Association of India (AAI) or any of its subsidiaries, he/she will receive a discount in premium.
Additionally, Oriental Insurance offers a digital payment discount of 10% when a customer purchases a new policy from the website. This is subject to a maximum amount of Rs.2,000 per policy.
- How does Oriental Insurance determine the rate of depreciation of my car parts?
The rate of depreciation of car parts is as mentioned below:
- For nylon, rubber, or plastic parts, including tubes, tyres, airbags, and batteries, the depreciation is 50%.
- For fibreglass parts, the rate of depreciation is 30%.
- For all car parts made of glass, the depreciation rate is nil.
- For all other parts, including wooden parts, the depreciation is according to the following table:
|Age of vehicle||Percentage depreciation|
|6 months or lesser||Nil|
|Between 6 months and 1 year||5%|
|Between 1 year and 2 years||10%|
|Between 2 years and 3 years||15%|
|Between 3 years and 4 years||25%|
|Between 4 year and 5 years||35%|
|Between 5 years and 10 years||40%|
|More than 10 years||50%|
There are no tax benefits for premiums paid towards these covers.
Yes, Oriental Insurance offers a premium discount depending upon the number of persons covered under the Personal Accident Cover for the family.
Yes, you can transfer your existing insurance to the buyer of your vehicle. For this, you will have to provide an agreement in writing to the insurance company. A fresh proposal form should also be filled in and submitted to Oriental Insurance. A nominal fee will be charged for the insurance transfer. You can contact the insurance company for further details.
Yes, it is very important that you transfer the car insurance to your name. It is mandatory for the insurance and registration of the car to be in the name of the same person with the same address. Otherwise, Oriental Insurance (like most other insurance companies) will not honour your future claims. To transfer the insurance, you should update a fresh proposal form and pay the fee for insurance transfer. You can contact the insurance company for further details on this.
You should approach the same branch of the insurance company from where you had purchased the policy initially. On submission of a written request and payment of a nominal fee, a duplicate copy of the policy will be issued.
Installation of a CNG/LPG kit or any other such changes in the structure of the car will require registration with the RTO. Your Registration Certificate (RC) should also have an entry regarding the same. Further, you will have to approach your insurer and declare it along with a copy of the RC. Installing a CNG/LPG kit demands a higher premium. The insurance company will add an endorsement to your existing car insurance policy to that effect. Only after the endorsement is effective will the company be liable to honour a claim.
- Oriental Home Insurance
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Credit Card
- Oriental Bank Of Commerce Car Loan Interest Rates
- Oriental Bank Of Commerce Car Loan Eligibility Calculator
- Oriental Health Insurance
- Oriental Two Wheeler Insurance
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Education Loan
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Personal Loan
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Car Loan
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Used Car Loan
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Recurring Deposit Rates
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Fixed Deposit Rates
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Personal Loan Interest Rates
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Personal Loan Eligibility
- OBC IFSC Code
This Insurance Company has not partnered with BankBazaar.com. For more details, please visit its website/branch office. The trademarks, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective owners.
News About Oriental Car Insurance
Delay In Reporting A Loss Equals Claim RejectionDelaying up the news of a stolen vehicle to the concerned insurance authorities could prove to be a costly mistake. An example for this axiom emerged recently wherein a consumer forum rejected the insurance claim of a man who hadn’t reported his loss to the concerned insurer for 46 days. This inordinate delay stole from the insurer the opportunity to properly investigate the claim in line with the tenets laid out in the motor insurance documentation and thus, the ensuing denial was deemed completely justified. The claimant, Mr. Naveen from Delhi, should have ideally informed, Oriental Car Insurance Company, about his loss at the earliest possible opportunity, thereby avoiding this very costly oversight.
3rd February 2015
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017