Accidents are unpredictable and can at times will cost a person lot more than what they are prepared for. Hence, it is very important to have car insurance in order to cover the risk of any damage to one’s car. Most of the car insurance claims are due to a car accident. One might have a very huge financial loss in case of an accident but having a car insurance will help mitigate the cost incurred from the damages caused to your car from an accident. Given below is the process one has to follow in order to make a car insurance claim after an accident.
What to do Immediately After an Accident?
It is very important to keep a calm head in case of an accident. Listed below are few steps one should follow right after being in an accident.
- Check for injuries as this will help you determine the extent of the problem and help in deciding if there is a need to call an ambulance
- Note down the details of the other car involved in the accident. Number plate of the car, make and model of the car and colour of the car are imperative details that one needs to note down.
- Get the names and contact numbers of the witnesses present at the scene of the accident. These witnesses will later help when it comes to determining who caused the accident.
- Call the police. It is also very important to file an FRI if you are planning on claiming third party liability.
- Assess the situation and call the insurance company if you feel that you or the third party need to make a claim. One can forego making a claim if the damage has occurred only to their vehicle and is negligible.
What you Shouldn’t do After a Car Accident
Listed below are some things that one should avoid when they get into an accident.
- Avoid getting into a brawl with the third party
- Do not make any statement to the police or insurance company if you are not clear headed
- Do not make any harsh decision
How to File a Claim with Your Car Insurance Company?
Every insurance company has a stipulated time by which the customer needs to make a claim if they wish to get the benefit of the car insurance plan. There are two types of claims that can be made in case of a car accident.
- Third party claim- Third party claim can be made in instances where injury or damage is caused to the other party in the accident.
- Own damage claim- Own damage claim can be made when your vehicle is the only vehicle damaged in the accident, you can still make a claim.
In both cases, it is very important to note down the details such as the number plate, make and model of the other vehicle involved in the accident. Listed below is the claim process in case of an accident for both cases.
- Inform the insurance company as soon as you can after the accident. It is always important to inform the insurance company regarding the accident within the stipulated time
- Most of the insurance companies have a garage where you will need to take your car and get an estimate of the damaged caused to the car and the approximate cost of the repairs
- The insurance company will ask for certain documents that the customer has to provide in order for the insurance company to consider the claim
Given below is a list of documents that need to be submitted at the time of making a claim.
- Copy of the insurance policy
- Completely filled claim form
- Registration copy for the vehicle
- Copy of the driving license
- Original estimate of the repairs
- Medical receipts in case of any bodily injuries
- Best Tips to Save Money on Car Insurance Renewal
- Best Reasons To Buy Car Insurance Online
- Car Insurance Tips - When Not to Claim Your Insurance Policy
- Top Reasons Why Car Insurance Claims Are Denied
- Simple Ways To Help You Save On Motor Insurance Premium
- Useful Add On Covers To Save Your Car In Monsoon
- Must Have Car Insurance Add-On Covers for Luxury Cars
- Best Kept Secrets of Car Insurance
- Insurance for Car Damaged Due to Natural Disaster
- Insurance for SUV Cars
- Factors Affecting Car Insurance Premium in India
- How to Keep Your Car Protected During Winters
- Car Stolen? You Deserve Insurance As Much As Anyone
- Top Seven Car Checklist before Long Drive
- How to Claim for Accidents Occurred in the Middle of Vehicle Ownership Change