Getting health insurance is very important in India. The number of health issues arising out of air and water borne diseases here is among the highest in the world, and most of the diseases could be treated at a decent health care facility. Health insurance, therefore, provides a cushion against the prevailing illnesses in any area by taking care of unexpected expenses incurred in hospitals.
Lucknow is among the most populous cities in the country. The health levels in the city are very poor compared with rest of the country. Some of the avoidable diseases that plague the city include Kala-ajar, Malaria, Dysentery, Japanese Encephalitis, Hepatitis A and Tuberculosis. The major problems faced by Lucknow residents are parasites, dysentery and similar water-borne diseases. People in villages suffer from malnutrition, respiratory infections, skin diseases and other problems related to unhygienic conditions.
All these diseases make it imperative for people to take necessary precautions as well as get health insurance. Health insurance by definition is insuring yourself for expenses related to diseases. A lot of policies are available from various national level providers.
Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in Lucknow:
Lucknow is home to all of the health insurance providers operating in India. Chief among them are:
Public Sector Health Insurers:
- New India Assurance: Counted among the top health insurance providers in the country, this public company has the highest premium collections in India. It provides some great policies for NRIs, senior citizens and overseas mediclaim policies.
- National Insurance: Another public sector heavyweight, National Insurance boasts of the second highest premium collection for health policies in the country. It also has a significant presence in Lucknow.
- Oriental Insurance: Oriental is also a public sector company and provides attractive health plans across the spectrum with great premium rates. It is counted in the big 4 of the Indian health insurance sector.
Private Sector Health Insurers:
- Religare Health Insurance: Religare is one of the health insurance providers in Lucknow that provides customers with health insurance cover through collaborations with hospitals like Charak Hospital & Research Centre, Divine Heart & Multispeciality Hospital, Lucknow Cancer Institute, Shriram Memorial Hospital and Shanti Clinic & Hospital.
- Reliance General Insurance has a significant presence in Lucknow with 59 network hospitals providing care for a wide range of illness and other health issues.
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance has a good presence in Lucknow with 56 network hospitals. It is among the largest private sector firms and has been posting great growth figures over its short while in the Indian insurance sector.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance is among the top private sector general insurance providers in Lucknow and in India. The company has tie-ups with 56 local hospitals in the city that provide cashless facilities for patients who are customers of Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance is the biggest private general insurance firm in India. It has network connections with 27 hospitals in the city, providing customers faster and hassle free services in case of health complications.
Standalone Health Insurers:
- Star Health and Allied Insurance is the largest specialized health insurance company in India, with comprehensive operations throughout the country. Its list of networked hospitals in Lucknow include 55 hospitals located in and around the city.
- Apollo Munich Health Insurance is another specialized health insurance provider. It has more than 40 networked hospitals in Lucknow, including Sahara India Medical Institute, Vasan Eye Care hospital, Sai Medical Center, Lucknow Hospital and Lifeline Hospital, among others.
- Max Bupa Health Insurance offers health insurance plans for all age groups and across the spectrum. There are 33 hospitals in Max Bupa’s network in Lucknow, including Eye-Q Super Specialty, Ford Hospital, Lucknow Hospital, and many more.
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.