Piramal Group is a global business conglomerate with interests in pharma, financial services, real estate, information services, glass packaging, etc.
The market capitalisation of Piramal Enterprises Ltd.on June 15, 2018 around Rs.43,911 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- Piramal Enterprises Ltd. recorded revenue of Rs.10,639 crores, up 24% during FY 2018 as compared to Rs.8,547 crores in FY 2017. Meanwhile, revenue for Q4, FY 2018 were up 21% at Rs.2,991 crores against Rs.2,463 crores in Q4 FY 2017. The net profit of the company increased by 24% to Rs.1,551 crores for FY 2018 as against Rs.1,252 crores in FY 2017. Strong growth in profitability was recorded mainly on account of decent growth in revenues and improved operational performance.
- The company’s board recommended a dividend of Rs.25 per share for the year ending 2017. The company’s loan book grew 69% to Rs.42,168 crores as on 31 March 2018.
- Piramal Group completed the process of merging Piramal Finance and Piramal Capital into Piramal Housing Finance in order streamline the Financial Services business.
- Income from Financial Services was 49% higher at Rs.4,982 Crores for FY 2018 while revenues for FY 2018 grew 11% year-over-year to Rs.4,322 Crores. The Piramal Group’s turnover was around $1.7 billion in FY 2018.
- Piramal Finance launched its Housing Finance Offering in Bangalore. It crossed Rs.20,000 crores of wholesale loans in South Market in March 2018. Earlier this year, NITI Aayog teamed up with Piramal Foundation to ‘Transform Aspirational Districts’ across India.
Piramal Enterprises Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- On January 1, 2018, the price of Piramal Enterprises Ltd. was Rs.2,860 on NSE. The stock price saw a marginal change throughout the month. In February, the price of the stock continued to fall by over 100 points. The month of March witnessed further drop in the stock price. The price of the stock by the end of the month was Rs.2,450.
- The stock gained some momentum in the month of April. The price of the stock by the end of April was Rs.2,616. In May, the stock decreased over 300 points and was at Rs.2,363 by the end of the month.
Piramal Enterprises Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The price of the Piramal Enterprises stock on January 1, 2016 was Rs.1,018 on NSE. It gradually kept falling throughout the month as the company announced sale of its Canada based cartilage repair product BST-CarGel. In February, the stock price continued to decrease and was at Rs.893 by the end of the month. The price of the stock crossed Rs.1,000 mark in the month of March. The stock changed over 100 points in April and was at Rs.1,148 by the end of the month.
- In May 2016, the stock price of Piramal Enterprises Ltd. saw a decent increase of over 300 points mainly due to an strong growth in Q4. The company agreed to buy four brands from Pfizer Ltd. for its consumer product. In June, the company raised Rs.105 crore from NCDs. The price of the stock by the end of the month was Rs.1,409. In the month of July, the stock performed well and gained over 200 points. The price of the stock crossed Rs.1600 mark by the end of the month. Piramal Enterprises Ltd. recorded 36% increase in the net for Q1. The stock price saw a massive increase and crossed the Rs.2,000 mark in August.
- The price of the stock in September was Rs.1,842 and changed marginally throughout the month. In the month of October, the price was pretty stable and did not see a major change. The price of the stock dropped by over 400 points by mid-November and was Rs.1,659 by the end of the month. In December, the price of the stock continued to decline further and was at Rs.1,596 by the end of the month.
- On January 2017, the price of the stock was Rs.1,624 on NSE. It crossed the Rs.1,800 mark by middle of the month. The month of February saw a marginal change in the price of the Piramal stock. In March, the price of the stock increased to 100 points. It performed well in the month of April and crossed the Rs.2,500 mark.
- The stock continued to grow in the month of May. By the end of the month, the stock price was at Rs.2,758. By mid-June, the stock price crossed the Rs.3,000 mark as it got a nod to raise Rs.125 crore. In July, Piramal announced expansion of its pharma vertical further in the US, and Europe. The price of the stock did not change a lot in July. The similar trait continued in August as the price was quite stable at Rs.2,721 by the end of the month.
- In the month of September, the price of the stock fell over 120 points by the end of the month. There was only a marginal change in the Piramal stock price in October. The company’s Q2 net profit was down by 66%. The stock price continued to fall in November. By the end of December 2017, the stick price of Piramal Enterprises was Rs.2,850.
Should you invest in Piramal Enterprises Ltd.?
- The shares of Piramal Enterprises Ltd. has seen a significant rise in the price over the couple of year. It has also not showcased a dramatic price change since past couple of months and the stocks have been pretty stable.
- The shares of the company can be a good investment for a long-term basis. However, it is strongly suggested that you do your own research before investing in the market.
Piramal Group has a global presence in more than 30 countries including the US, the UK, Europe Union, Japan, Asia-Pacific and South Asia. Valued at over $10 billion, the company’s products are sold in over 100 markets and a team of more than 10,000. Piramal Enterprises Limited, the flagship company of Piramal Group generates over 51% of its revenues from international markets. The Piramal Group comprises of four main business verticals - Piramal Enterprises Limited, Piramal Pharma, Piramal Finance, and Piramal Realty. Piramal Enterprises Limited (PEL) is one of India’s large diversified companies, with a presence in Financial Services, Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Insights & Analytics. PEL’s consolidated revenues were over US$1.7billion in FY 2018, with around 51% of revenues generated from outside India.
History of the Company
Mr. Piramal took over the Piramal Group in 1980 following which in 1988, the company exited the textile business and entered the Pharma business. It acquired Gujarat Glass in 1984 and Nicholas Laboratories in 1988. The company continued acquisitions in national as well as international markets. Nicholas Piramal India Limited was renamed to Piramal Healthcare Limited in 2008. Piramal Healthcare acquires 11% of Vodafone India in 2011. The same year, Fortune 500 ranks Piramal Healthcare in the top-50 largest corporations across India. In 2015, Warburg Pincus to invest INR 1800 crore in Piramal Realty. Piramal Enterprises Limited announces its plan to enter Housing Finance in 2017. Piramal Realty launches Piramal Mahalaxmi, its Flagship Project in South Mumbai.
Management of the Company
Mr. Ajay Piramal - Chairman - Piramal Group
Mr. Piramal is the founder of Piramal Group. He joined his family's textile business in 1977 and ended up building a pharma empire through several acquisitions. In 2010 when Piramal sold his domestic formulations business to Abbott Labs for $3.8 billion. In 2018, Forbes, estimated his net worth to be US $4.6 Billion. He serves on the Harvard Business School's Board of Dean's Advisors. Mr. Piramal holds an Honours Degree in Science from Bombay University, and a Masters Degree in Management Studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies. He has also completed an Advanced Management Programme from Harvard Business School.
Nandini Piramal - Executive Director
Nandini Piramal serves as the Executive Director, Piramal Enterprises and leads the Over-The-Counter (OTC) business of the company. She is the head of Human Resources at Piramal Group. She also holds the head position for the Quality & Risk functions at Piramal Healthcare. She played a pivotal role in Piramal Healthcare’s branded generic-medicine business sale to Abbott Laboratories at a record 30x EBITDA. Nandini is a graduate with BA (Hons) Philosophy, Politics, and Economics from Oxford University and has an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Piramal Enterprises Ltd.Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stock of ABB India are available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and The Stock Exchange, Mumbai.
ISIN code: INE140A01024
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- Nifty 100
- Nifty 200
- Nifty 500
- Nifty Next 50
- S&P BSE 100
- S&P BSE 200
- S&P BSE 500
- S&P BSE Healthcare
Piramal Ananta, Agastya Corporate Park,
109 A, 109A/1 to 109/21A,
111 and 110, 110/1 to 110/13,
Opposite Fire Brigade, Kamani Junction
Tel: +91-22-3802 3000
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.