GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (GSK) deals in consumer healthcare products, prescription medicines, and vaccines. It is an associate of GlaxoSmithKline plc. of U.K.Market Capitalisation
The market capitalisation of GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. as on 3 July 2018 is a little close to Rs.26,900 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- The company recorded a comparable revenue growth of 8% for quarter ended 31 March 2018 while the profit before tax (PBT) saw a growth of 18.3% at Rs.319 crore for the same period. The revenue for Q4 FY 2017-18 was Rs.1,180 crore. The volume growth was at 5.3% for the quarter. The comparable revenue for the full year was Rs.4,377 crore. It saw a surge of 7.6% while the PBT was at Rs.1,074 crore, up 6.3% as compared to last year.
- For the year ended 31 March 2018, GSK Board of Directors recommended a dividend at the rate of Rs.75 per equity share of Rs.10 each.
- GSK’s Horlicks gained a market share of 1.1% in Q4 2018 at 32.5%. On the other hand, Boost continued to register strong growth with double digit volume growth.
- In February 2018, GSK launched a new variant called Horlicks Protein that is aimed at active adults. The company also launched the ‘Horlicks Mission Poshan’ initiative with veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan as the campaign ambassador to support the Rashtriya Poshan Abhiyaan program which is conducted by the government of India.
- GSK is aiming to focus on consumer healthcare as well as pharmaceuticals on over-the-counter products and oral care going forward.
GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- On 1 January 2018, the opening price of the GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. share was Rs.6,552 on NSE. It fluctuated in the first 10 days of the month and crossed the Rs.6,600 mark in the later half of the month. However, the scrip fell again and ended the month at Rs.6,476. In the month of February, the price of the stock saw an increase of 200 points. By the end of February, the stock price was Rs.6,725.
- In March, the scrip saw some frequent fluctuations. After crossing the Rs.6,800 mark in mid March, it fell by 400 points by the end of the month. The srcip ended the month at Rs.6,725. However, in April the opening price of the stock fell by over 550 points and was at Rs.6,175. The scrip continued to slip throughout the month.
- The month of May, the scrip again witnessed fluctuations. The price of the stock at the beginning of the month was Rs.6,130 and it kept falling by mid May. However, the stock picked up pace and ended the month at Rs.6,475.
- In June, the stock price continued to fall since the beginning of the month and reached Rs.6,000 in the later half of the month. However, the stock picked up again and ended the month at Rs.6,400.
GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The opening price of the stock on 1 January 2016 was Rs.6,406 on NSE. By the mid of the month, the price had already fallen by 400 points and continued its downfall till the end of January. The scrip ended the month at Rs.5,848. In the month of February, the price of the stock fell by over 200 points. The opening price of the stock by the end of February was Rs.5,642. It crossed the Rs.6,000 mark by the end of March. The scrip was pretty stable in April and changed marginally.
- The price of the share dropped owing to a fall in Q4 profit in May. However, the scrip gained and ended the month at Rs.5,919. The month of June did not see a big change in the stock price. In July, the scrip crossed the Rs.6,500 mark. However, in August the scrip saw a downfall by 200 points and ended the month a little over Rs.6,300.
- In September, GSK Consumer Healthcare Ltd. stock continued to fall throughout the month. Meanwhile, in October the scrip increased a little and ended the month at Rs.6,100. In the month of November, the stock fell by over 1000 points and reached below Rs.5,000. The trend continued even in December and the scrip ended the month at Rs.5,019.
- The opening price of the stock on 1 January 2017 was Rs.5001 on NSE. It saw a marginal change throughout the month. In February, the scrip was in the range of Rs.5,100-Rs.5,200 range. The month of March, saw the price of the stock increase and it touched the Rs.5,500 mark. However, the scrip fell again and ended the month at Rs.5,175. In April, the stock rallied back and forth in the range of Rs.5,300 and Rs.5,100.
- The month of May, the scrip gained some momentum and ended the month at Rs.5,300. The stock price did not change much in June. In July, the scrip crossed the Rs.5,550 mark however it fell again in August and ended the month at Rs.5,387.
- In September, the price of the stock fell below 400 points and was at Rs.4,909 by the of the month. The month of October saw the scrip rally in the range of Rs.4,900 however it picked up momentum in November and had crossed the Rs.6,000 mark by mid of the month. By mid December, the GSK stock had crossed Rs.6,600 and ended the month at Rs.6,564.
Should you invest in GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd?
- The share price of GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd has witnessed fluctuations quite often in the past couple of years. However, the scrip has gained strength quickly in most cases.
- GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare has been a trusted brand in India for decades and is investing in creating new products and improving the existing product portfolio.
- You could invest in the stock of GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare for a long-term. However, it is strongly advised to do a thorough research before investing money in stock market as it is volatile in nature.
GSK is headquartered in the United Kingdom. It has more than 1 lakh employees across the globe that includes around 35,000 employees. These employees are spread across 85 manufacturing sites in over 37 countries, R&D and Sales and Marketing. In India, GSK has 3800 employees, as per the company website. The consumer healthcare business deals in five important areas such as skin healthcare, respiratory, nutrition/ gastro intestinal, pain relief, and oral healthcare. The company is a leader in health food drink industry and thanks to its flagship product Horlicks. Currently, Horlicks has a 44.1% market share in India. Meanwhile, GSK’s Boost is also among the top three health food drinks in India. The company is also a distributor of health products such as Sensodyne, Eno, Crocin, Iodex, and others.
History of the Company
GlaxoSmithkline has a heritage of more than 160 years. GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd is an associate company of GlaxoSmithKline plc. The company was renamed to its current name from SmithKline Beecham Consumer Healthcare Ltd in April 23 2002. It also has a pharmaceutical and the healthcare division.
Management of the Company
Mr. Navneet Saluja
Navneet was appointed as the Managing Director as well as the ISC Area General Manager with effect from January 1, 2018. Before this role, he was serving as the VP and GM for Africa and Middle at GSK Consumer Healthcare. With an experience of more than 30 years, he has worked in various fields such as retail, FMCG, and telecom. In addition to India, Navneet has worked in India as well as Africa and Middle East. He has worked has held general Management positions in leading FMCG companies such as Kellogg’s, Cadbury and Gillette. Prior to Glaxosmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd, Navneet has worked with Reliance Retail and Reliance Infocom. He is an alumnus of Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS).
Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stock of GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Healthcare Ltd is available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Sector: Food Processing
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- Nifty 500
- Nifty MNC
- Nifty FMCG
- Nifty MNC
- S&P BSE 500
- S&P BSE 200
- Nifty Midcap 150
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
24-25 Floor, One Horizon Center
Golf Course Road, DLF Phase 5
Gurgaon 122002, India
Tel: 000 800 442 0168
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.