ICICI Prudential is a life insurance company that is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
ICICI Prudential Market Cap
The market capitalisation of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited as of March 2018 is more than Rs.54,546 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
Q1 FY 2018-19
- For the quarter ended on June 30, 2018, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited reported its standalone gross premium income to be at Rs.5,517.9 crore, as against Rs.4,884.8 crore reported for the June quarter for the previous fiscal year.
- Considering the profit for the quarter, it took a sharp hit on account of a significant increase in the expenses. On a y-o-y basis, the expenditure grew from Rs.682 crore to Rs.874 crore.
- Consequently, the net profit after tax for the June quarter of the FY19 stood at Rs.281.6 crore as against a profit of Rs.406 crore reported for the same quarter of the previous financial year. This marked a decline of a little over 25%.
- The company’s basic earnings per share also came down from Rs.2.83 to Rs.1.96 y-o-y. The value of new business for the quarter registered a growth of 34.1% y-o-y.
- For the financial year 2017-18, ICICI Prudential reported its consolidated gross premium income to be at Rs.27,068.7 crore. For the previous fiscal year, the same was reported to be at Rs.22,354 crore.
- However, the profitability of the company was once again impacted by an increase in the expenditure for the year. For the year ended on March 31, 2018, the insurer reported its consolidated profit to be at Rs.1,619.1 crore, as against a profit of Rs.1,681.6 crore reported for the previous fiscal year.
- On a y-o-y basis, the company reported a marginal decline in its earnings per share. The basic EPS dropped from Rs.11.72 to Rs.11.28 over the course of the year.
- The company’s solvency ratio for the year was stated to be 252.7% as against 280.7% reported for the year ended on March 31, 2017. The value of new business registered a remarkable growth of 93.1% y-o-y.
Q3 FY 2017-18
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance in its mandatory filing for the Q3 FY18 reported a 19.31% increase in gross premium to Rs.6,855.63 crore from Rs.5,746 crore in the corresponding quarter last fiscal.
- Considering the insurer’s profit after tax for this quarter, it was reported to be at Rs.452.1 crore. This figure reflects a flat growth when compared with the reported profit of Rs. 450 crore in the Q3 FY17.
- The most impressive growth was seen in the value of new business metric, which increased by 82.2% to Rs.767 crore over 9M FY18, in comparison to Rs.421 crore in the corresponding period of the fiscal year 2016-17.
- The company’s market share stood at 13.1 percent while its 13th month persistency was reported to be at 86.7%.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Stock Trends in 2018
- ICICI Prudential stock price on January 1, 2018, was Rs.383 on NSE and Rs.384.10 on BSE. By mid-January, the stocks had made considerable gains driven by company updates and bullish trends. The stock price, as a result, crossed Rs.400 and the closing price at the end of the year was Rs.406.70 on NSE.
- On February 1, the scrip opened at Rs.424.90 on NSE. The stock price did not vary significantly over the course of the month, although it did shed some gains owing to weak global market cues. The closing price at the end of the month was Rs.412.80 on NSE.
- In the first half of March, the ICICI Prudential Life Insurance shares lost a little over 6% to descend into the Rs.300 region. However, the shares recovered marginally in April to reach their previous levels at Rs.400. Things didn’t change considerably until the final week of the month, when the stock price incurred a sharp rise.
- This rise resulted in the shares gain more than 13% in a span of one week. On May 2, the shares were seen trading hands at levels above Rs.420. In the same month, the shares hit their 52-week high at Rs.462.20. However, after reaching this high, the shares failed to find momentum at those levels.
- As a result, the scrip moved on to lose roughly 20% over the course of June and July. The scrip descended back to its previous levels at Rs.370, and on July 19, the shares hit their 52-week low at Rs.347.25. The share price of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance moved up again in August to cross the Rs.400 mark, although the stocks, once again, shed those gains over the month. As of early September, the shares were seen trading at levels above Rs.360.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance went public in September 2016 following its first IPO. At the end of the month, its shares were listed on the secondary market and they commenced trading at Rs.279.55 on NSE. In October, the scrip crossed Rs.300 and an interim dividend of 18% was announced in early November. However, the stocks suffered post demonetisation and they went below Rs.300. Towards the end of the month, the shares recovered but only to drop down again. The closing price at the end of December 2016 was Rs.302.25 on NSE.
- The month of January started on an excellent note for the investors. The opening price of the stock was above Rs.300 and through the month, the price rose steadily. By early February, the price had crossed Rs.350. The stock continued to make steady gains in March as well, with the closing price at the end of the month being Rs.382.40 on NSE.
- The rally continued in the month of April as well with the stock price crossing Rs.400 by the middle of the month. In early May, the price entered Rs.300 territory again although it was only for a brief period. The month of June saw the stocks make more gains as the share price crossed Rs.450. The closing price at the month was Rs.471.60 on NSE.
- A special dividend of 12% and a final dividend of 23% was announced in July. However, after touching a high of Rs.501 on bourses, the stocks lost their recent gains and by early August, they were back at around Rs.430-440. In late August, the stocks began a recovery but that did not last for long.
- At the start of September, the shares were trading at around Rs.443 on NSE and BSE. Over the course of the month, the stocks lost more value than they did in July, signalling the start of a bearish trend. The closing price on September 29, 2017, was Rs.388.30 on NSE.
- In October, the shares bounced back to cross Rs.400 but once again, they were back in the Rs.300 territory by the end of the month. An interim dividend of 23% and a special dividend of 11% was announced in early November. The bearish trend continued through November and December, and the closing price at the end of the year was Rs.383 on NSE.
Should you invest in ICICI Prudential Life Insurance?
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance is a leading private insurance and finance company in India. It's market cap is a little over Rs.54,000 crore - the largest among its peers. Its other financial metrics such as net profit and sales turnover are significantly greater in comparison to other players like Motilal Oswal, Edelweiss, IIFL Holdings, et cetera.
- The company is financially sound and fundamentally strong, which is evident from its relation to the parent groups of ICICI Bank and Prudential plc. It is expected that the insurance sector in India will grow to $300-400 million by 2020. Furthermore, the focus of Budget 2018 was on insurance as it aimed to provide universal coverage for the Indian population. These developments put ICICI Prudential right at the forefront.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Limited is a joint venture between ICICI Bank and Prudential Corporation Holdings Limited. The company has moved from strength to strength, crossing a number of milestones in a matter of a few years. One of the first private sector insurance companies to start operations, the company has steadily built up investor confidence and market share.
Term life, health, unit-linked and savings insurance plans are offered by the company, with a number of add-ons and riders making them an attractive option among competitors.
History of the Company
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company was set up in the year 2000 and is a joint venture between ICICI Bank, a leading Indian private bank and Prudential Corporation Holdings Limited. The company began operations in 2001 and has been consistently surpassing targets. The company crossed over 1 million policies in 2002 and listed profits in the year 2010.
Another milestone has been the crossing of Rs.1 trillion assets in 2015 and its distinction as being the first insurance company in India to be listed on both the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) as well as the National Stock Exchange (NSE).
Mr. Sandeep Bakshi- Managing Director, CEO and Director
Mr. Bakhshi has been the Managing Director of ICICI Prudential since August 2010. He also serves in the capacity of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for the same period of time. He has been associated with ICICI since 1986 in various capacities, being appointed a Managing Director of ICICI Lombard from 2007 to 2009. Following this, he served as Deputy Managing Director and Head of Retail at ICICI Bank until his appointment as CEO.
He also serves on the board of ICICI prudential Pension Funds Management Company Limited.
A mechanical engineer from Punjab Engineering College, he also holds a Master’s Degree in Management from Xavier’s Labour Relations Institute (XLRI).
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stocks of ICICI Prudential are available for trading on the National Stock Exchange Limited and the Bombay Stock Exchange. The codes for the same are as follows:
- BSE – 540133
- NSE – ICICIPRULI
- ISIN – INE726G01019
- Sector – Finance, General
As for the stock market indices in India, the company is a part of the following, among many more.
- NIFTY 100
- NIFTY 200
- NIFTY 500
- S&P BSE 200
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited have their registered office at the following address:
ICICI Pru Life Towers,
1089, Appasaheb Marathe Marg,
Mumbai – 400025
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.