The Kerala ration card allows all the citizens in the state of Kerala who belong to the lower sections of the society, access to food and grains at a subsidised rate. The ration card serves as a document which verifies various families in the state who are eligible to receive food grains at a subsidised rate. The ration card is an important document which is issued by the Civil Department of the state to various families and also serves as a document which can be used as proof of identification in the country as well.
This article aims in providing information on the process of application of a Kerala ration card along with the eligibility criteria and the documents required for the procedure.
Kerala Ration Card Eligibility
The applicants who wish to apply for a ration card in the state of Kerala must ensure that they are eligible for the card. The primary eligibility criteria for the ration card are:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- The family of the applicant must not possess any other type of ration card issued by the state.
Types of Kerala Ration Card
There are mainly three types of ration cards which are provided to the citizens of Kerala by the state government.
Antyodaya Anna Yojana: This ration card is given to the weaker sections of the society in the state of Kerala. Under this scheme, the applicant and the family will receive 35kg of essential commodities which will include rice or wheat, at free of cost.
Priority: Under the Priority Scheme, the ration card will be given to the people of the state falling below the poverty line. Grain of 5kg will be given free of cost to all the members of the family who hold the ration card. The 5kg of food grain given in this scheme will include rice of 4kg and wheat of 1kg.
Non- Priority Subsidy: This scheme offered by the Kerala government can be availed by the people of the state who are above the poverty line. The essential commodity covered under this scheme includes 2kg of rice which is given to all members of the family.
Documents Required to apply for a Kerala Ration Card
In order to apply for the Kerala ration card, the list of documents mentioned below must be submitted along with a duly filled application form.
- Voter ID card
- One photograph
- Driving License
- Any Photo ID card issued by the Government
The applicant will also need to submit his or her residential proof, which can be any of the following documents given below:
- Electricity bill
- Bank passbook of the applicant
- Latest mobile phone bill
- Cancelled or old Ration card
- Rental agreement
How to Apply for a Kerala Ration Card
Applicants can apply for a ration card in Kerala through offline and online methods. If an applicant does not have access to the internet, he or she can apply for the ration card through offline methods which include applying through the Akshaya Centre or through the TSO and DSO centres in the state. Applications for a ration card can be done online as well from the official website of Civil Department of Kerala.
To apply for a ration card from the Akshaya Centre, the steps to be followed are:
- Visit the Akshaya centre located nearest to you.
- At the centre, you will need to take the application form, fill it and submit it along with the necessary documents required for verification.
- If the applicant already has an old Kerala ration card, then that needs to be submitted along with the application form.
- The documents and application form will be thoroughly checked by the authorities present in the centre and a digital photograph of the applicant will be taken.
- The applicant will then be required to pay a fee for the ration card application along with any other charges applicable.
To apply for a ration card from the nearest TSO or DSO centre, here are the steps to be followed:
- Visit the office of TSO or DSO located in the area.
- The applicant must then apply for the new ration card and pay the application fee to the officer present.
- The application form must be filled completely by the applicant and be submitted to the officer with the required documents.
- Once the documents are verified, the ration card will be sent to the official address of the applicant. The maximum time required for a new ration card is 15 days.
To apply for the ration card online, the steps required to be followed are:
- Visit the official website of the Civil Department.
- Click on the option of ‘New Ration Card’ if the applicant requires a new ration card.
- The applicant needs to provide the barcode number of the old ration card at the time of filling the details on the application form, in case of an application for an old ration card.
- The applicant must fill all the information asked in the application form.
- Once done, the applicant will be required to submit the application and click on the activation link after the submission is done.
- Once the activation process is completed the applicant will be able to login to the website using his/her login ID and password.
In the case of the fresh application, the applicant can choose from the options given on the website.
- Applicants must upload the entire document in the PDF format.
- Applications must be carefully verified before submission.
- The application form can be printed, and a hard copy can be kept for further verification.
- Once done, the application form along with the required documents must be submitted at a TSO centre.
- An application fee must be paid at the centre.
- Once done, the documents and the application are sent to an external official for verification.
- The inspection of the details is done within 30 days' from the date of application.
- If the application is approved by the authorized officer, a notification will be sent to the applicant about the same.
- In the case of rejection, a letter would be issued to the applicant about the same.
- What is the process to check the application status of the ration card?
In order to check the application status, applicants can do so by logging in to their account on the Civil Department of Kerala’s website. They can click on the option to check the status of the application. The minimum time required to process the application is 15 days.
- Can modifications be made on the ration card?
Yes, the details mentioned on the ration card can be changed. The applicant must visit the TSO office nearest to him or her and mention the changes to be made to the authorities. To make changes, the appropriate documents must be submitted at the office. Once they are verified, the changes can be made to the ration card.
- What are the types of ration cards given to people belonging to the state of Kerala?
There are mainly 3 types of ration cards given in Kerala which are the Priority ration card, the Non-Priority Subsidy ration card and the ration card under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana.
Ration Card Related Pages