The outbreak of Covid-19 in India has caused huge financial implications. In case you or any family member gets diagnosed with coronavirus, the cost of treatment can be very high. In order to ensure that you do not exhaust your savings to meet the treatment expenses, you can apply for the Corona Kavach Policy from National Insurance.
The Corona Kavach Policy will provide coverage in case you or any family member gets hospitalised after being diagnosed with Covid-19. We will look into details of what this health insurance policy offers to its customers.
Features and benefits of National Insurance Corona Kavach Policy
- Allopathy and AYUSH treatment i.e. medical treatment received under Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy systems are covered under the policy.
- The policy will provide coverage not only to you but also members of your family such as your spouse, parents, in-laws, and dependent children (aged between 1 day and 25 years). However, children above the age of 18 years who are financially independent will not be eligible to receive cover under the policy.
- Hospitalisation claims related to Covid-19 will be covered.
- Ambulance charges are covered.
- Cashless facility is available at network hospitals but only through Third-Party Administrator (TPA).
- Pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation charges for 15 days and 30 days covered respectively.
What is covered under National Insurance Corona Kavach Policy
- Pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation charges covered for 15 days and 30 days respectively under the policy.
- Expenses related to home-care treatment.
- All the claims with or without pre-existing co-morbid Covid-19 conditions are covered under the policy.
- Room rent, doctor fees, cost of medicines, diagnostics, and other relevant charges covered under the policy.
- Cost of gloves, mask, PPE Kit, nebuliser, oxygen cylinder, etc. are covered.
- There is no need for pre-policy health check-up.
- Hospital daily cash of 0.5% of sum insured can be availed as optional add-on cover under this policy.
- Tax benefits available under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
What will not be covered under National Insurance Corona Kavach Policy
- Cost related to OPD and day-care treatment.
- Any expenses incurred during the 15-day waiting period.
- Cost of dietary substances and supplements.
- Investigation and evaluation.
- Expenses related to rest cure, rehabilitation, and respite care.
- Cost incurred for receiving any medical treatments which are unproved and yet to be given legitimate medical certificates.
- The insurer can reject any claim if you get diagnosed before the policy commencement date.
- If you get diagnosed or treated for Covid outside the geographical limits of India.
- If you get yourself diagnosed or treated at a hospital or diagnostic center not authorised by the Indian Government.
- The policy will cease to exist if you travel to any country put under travel restriction by the Government of India.
How to buy National Insurance Corona Kavach Policy
- Click on the link https://nationalinsurance.nic.co.in/en/health-insurance/corona-kavach-policy-national.
- Scroll down and under ‘Related Information’ click on ‘Buy Policy Online’.
- You will be directed to a new page where you will have to enter your customer/agent ID and password to login to the portal. If you are a new customer, get yourself registered to successfully login to the portal.
- You can then apply for the Corona Kavach Policy by providing relevant details and uploading the required documents. A representative from the insurance company will get in touch with you to assist you further with the application process.
You can buy the Corona Kavach Policy by visiting the nearest National Insurance branch along with all the relevant documents. A representative from the insurance company will assist you with the application process.
Procedure for claims
Cashless Claim Procedure
- You can get yourself treated in a center approved by the insurer or the authorised TPA.
- You can avail the cashless request form from the network provider and send it to the insurance company or the TPA upon filing it for authorisation.
- The insurer or the TPA will provide a pre-authorisation letter to the hospital for verification once it receives the cashless request form and other relevant medical documents.
- At the time when you are about to be discharged from the hospital, you will be required to check and sign the discharge papers, and pay the inadmissible and other non-medical charges.
- In case you fail to submit the required medical information, the insurer or the TPA has the right to reject your request for a cashless claim.
- In case your claim is rejected, you can get yourself treated as per the advice given by your doctor and submit the claim-related documents for the insurer or TPA for reimbursement.
For reimbursement of claims
|Type of claim||Time taken to reimburse the claim|
|Reimbursement of hospitalization and pre hospitalization charges||Within 30 days of discharge from the hospital|
|Reimbursement of Home Care charges||Within 30 days of the completion of the home care treatment|
|Reimbursement of post hospitalization charges||Within 15 days of the completion of the post-hospitalisation treatment|
- What is the age bracket to be eligible for this policy?
- What are the sum insured options available?
- What are the policy tenures offered?
- Are there any discounts offered?
- How can I get in touch with a representative from the insurance company in case of any query?
It is from 18 years to 65 years.
The minimum and maximum sum insured options are Rs.50,000 and Rs.5 lakh respectively.
The policy tenures offered are three and half months, six and half months, and nine and half months.
There is a 5% discount offered on the overall cost of the policy if you are a health worker. You can however avail a 10% discount on the overall cost of the policy if you purchase it online with no intermediary involved.
In case of any query, you can call the number 1800 345 0330 or send an email to email@example.com.