The law mandates all vehicles plying on Indian roads to be insured with an appropriate motor insurance. The minimum general insurance coverage may not be adequate for all vehicles, and hence, insurance providers offer a bouquet of add-on covers for the benefit of policyholders.
Opting for add-on insurance coverage definitely increases your premium amount; but, in the long run, you will save big. This is particularly significant in the unfortunate event of your vehicle meeting with an accident. One such add-on cover that provides very valuable protection to your asset is the Engine Protector insurance. Your basic insurance cover may not protect this vital part of the car, and hence, it is wise to invest in this add-on.
The significance of protecting your engine
The most expensive part of your car is its engine, and any repair work on it can amount to a large sum of money, owing to material and labour charges. A car’s engine is also vulnerable to serious damages during the rainy season due to waterlogged streets. This is where the Engine Protector add-on cover can be of significant benefit. This owner against the following situations:
- Lubricating oil leakage
- Gearbox damages
- Hydrostatic lock, that is caused when you try to start a wet engine multiple times
- Water ingression
The massive cost of repair of the engine, the gearbox, and the electronic circuits can all be reimbursed if your car is protected by the engine protector add-on cover. This insurance is highly advisable for people living in cities that are prone to floods or waterlogging.
Engine Protector cover exclusions
Although this add-on is extremely beneficial during the monsoons, it should be noted that it comes with certain exclusions.
- The insurance company will not honour your claims, if damages were incurred to your car when it was started while submerged in water. This is because triggering the ignition repeatedly will damage the car’s engine, and such an act will be considered as deliberate.
- If your engine was damaged in an event subsequent to an accident, such as an oil leakage, the insurer is unlikely to pay for the engine repairs.
- Most insurance providers offer this cover only for cars that are less than 5 years old.
- Under this cover, a policyholder is restricted from making more than two claims in one policy year.
Popular Engine Protector add-on covers
- Bharti Axa Hydrostatic Lock Cover - This add-on cover pays for the repair of car engine parts that were damaged due to water ingression and hydrostatic lock. The replacement or repair of parts should be done in their authorised garages across India. The insured is also required to be the first registered owner of the vehicle.
- HDFC Ergo Engine and Gearbox Protector - This add-on cover provides protection to the engine and gearbox of the vehicle from damages arising out of oil leak or water ingression.
- Royal Sundaram Engine (Aggravation) Protector Coverage - This cover protects against damages to internal parts of the engine, the gearbox, transmission or differential parts, and the power-steering pump. The cost of labour, consumables, and lubricants required to undertake the repair are also covered under this scheme. This cover is, however, available for vehicles upto three years of age only.
- Bajaj Allianz Engine Protector Cover - This covers the cost of replacement or repair of the gearbox and the engine. The labour cost for the repair work is also covered under this add-on insurance scheme.
Whether you are looking to safeguard your car engine against damage due to accidents or moisture during the rainy season, an engine protection add-on cover will provide you the necessary protection. In short, you don’t need to trade an arm and a leg for engine repair if your auto insurance policy has the right inclusions.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017