Car insurance companies have been providing a number of different insurance policies that benefit its customers to a great extent. These benefits can range from any damage or loss caused by another party, any loss or damages caused to the car by natural causes and personal accidents. However, car insurance policies sometimes do not provide cover against unforeseen factors which can range from natural calamities, road quality, weather, etc. Therefore, car insurance agencies are now providing a number of comprehensive riders that you can add-on to your basic or existing car insurance policy. These riders can be opted for by the customer, if he/she chooses, and can cover a number of different factors which can eliminate the need to make payments towards expenses incurred by your vehicle.
Here are some of the riders that you can opt for when choosing a car insurance policy for your vehicle:
- Zero Depreciation: Generally, car insurance companies take into account the depreciated value of a damaged car part and not the current value of the vehicle when filing an insurance claim. Depreciation rates are subjected to the model of the car, age, make, etc. Due to this, an individual will have to take care of a sizable amount of the claim themselves. But, if you opt for a Zero Depreciation cover, the entire cost will be covered by the insurer and you won’t have to bear any of the expenses. Therefore, in case you meet with an accident, you are immune to any deductions based on the depreciation value and you can recover the full amount which would amount to the market value of the vehicle.
- Engine Cover: Most car insurance companies do not cover damages caused to the engine of a vehicle. In India, there are many instances of clogged drains that result in flooding of roads, flash floods due to heavy rains, swelling of rivers, etc. An Engine Cover rider comes as a relief to people who live in such areas where these calamities occur. Insurance agencies offer a hydrostatic cover which covers any damages that are caused by consequential losses. For example, if your vehicle is submerged under water and you start your car’s engine, water will enter the engine block and the engine will get damaged. An Engine Coverage rider will cover any repairs that are required to be made on an engine.
- Ambulance and Medical Expenses: In case a car insurance holder meets with an accident and requires immediate medical attention, the Ambulance and Medical Expenses rider will help compensate any expenses that are incurred by medical expenses and ambulance charges. This amounts to the tune of Rs.10,000 approximately.
- Roadside Assistance and Towing: This rider helps provide vehicle owners with different types of vehicle assistance that are made available 24/7. In case your car is immobile after an accident, you have a flat tire, you misplaced/locked your key, need a jumpstart for your battery, car towing, refuelling, etc. are all covered under this rider.
- Rental Reimbursement: When your vehicle is undergoing a service at a service centre and you do not have your own mode of transport, you will have to either use the public transport to commute or you will have to use a rented car, taxi, etc. In such cases, you can reimburse any bills and receipts that you have paid for during this time. This rider is, however, not so common in India.
- Personal Accident Cover: This important rider should be taken up by every vehicle owner as this covers the family of the policyholder in cases of unforeseen events like road accidents that lead to the permanent/temporary paralysis, disability, and death. There are certain insurance companies that offer accidental cover for passengers travelling in the vehicle.
- Consumable Rider: This is a rider that covers damages to any consumables like gearbox oil, clutch box oil, and coolants. This will cost you approximately 0.2-0.4% of the vehicle’s value.
- Smart Steps For Switching Car Insurance
- Best Reasons To Buy Car Insurance Online
- Car Insurance Tips - When Not to Claim Your Insurance Policy
- Top Reasons Why Car Insurance Claims Are Denied
- Simple Ways To Help You Save On Motor Insurance Premium
- Useful Add On Covers To Save Your Car In Monsoon
- Must Have Car Insurance Add-On Covers for Luxury Cars
- Best Kept Secrets of Car Insurance
- Insurance for Car Damaged Due to Natural Disaster
- Insurance for SUV Cars
- Factors Affecting Car Insurance Premium in India
- How to Keep Your Car Protected During Winters
- Car Stolen? You Deserve Insurance As Much As Anyone
- Top Seven Car Checklist before Long Drive
- How to Claim for Accidents Occurred in the Middle of Vehicle Ownership Change
You will have to keep in mind certain factors when picking out the right rider that will benefit you the most. There is definitely no point in picking out a rider that you may not require during your commute. For instance, you won’t require the Personal Accident Cover if you already have a life insurance policy. However, you should always weigh out the possibilities of different potential risks that you could face on your journey. Pay a little extra and pick up the right rider/riders which can help you have a stress-free journey, anywhere, anytime.
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017