For a lot of us, our home is not only a place that radiates warmth and peace, but is also a big chunk of our investment. It is our private haven where we seek shelter after a tiring day and make happy memories with our family. But, to ensure this happiness goes a long way, you should be prepared to face any unexpected contingency like burglary or a natural disaster.
A comprehensive home insurance policy will guarantee that you are covered against major risks and offer you immense peace of mind.
HDFC Home Insurance Introduction
A joint venture between India’s top housing finance institution, HDFC Limited and ERGO International AG, HDFC ERGO was established in the year 2002. HDFC ERGO caters to the diverse insurance needs of customers and corporates alike by offering insurance products like motor, home, travel and personal accident insurance and also business, marine and liability assurance. As a testimony to the quality service that the company offers to its clients, HDFC ERGO has ISO certification for its claims services. The insurance company also has a national footprint and operates in 89 cities with over 109 branches.
A pioneer in home insurance services, HDFC ERGO home insurance policy will not only provide an all-round cover but also guarantee quality customer servicing, policy issuance and claims services.
Key Features and Benefits of HDFC ERGO Home Insurance
HDFC ERGO Home Insurance policy offers plethora of benefits that delight the policyholder. Here are some of the key highlights of HDFC ERGO home insurance policy that sets it a league apart from other policies available in the market.
- The insurance policy covers all major risks like fire, lightning, explosion, flood, inundation, storm, strike & riot, burglary etc.
- HDFC ERGO home insurance policy offers coverage for up to 5 years with a provision to increase the value of sum insured by 10% at the end of every year.
- Policyholders can avail discounts up to 25% plus an additional 15%. Discount is offered if security systems are installed in the house.
- HDFC ERGO offers the convenience to get an online policy instantly without any documentation.
- A unique umbrella policy is offered for home owners seeking long term coverage.
- Coverage is offered for fire and allied perils and burglary under one scheme. Structure and contents of the house is also covered.
- Customers are offered the flexibility to choose between two customized schemes.
Coverage Offered by HDFC ERGO Home Insurance
The following risks are covered under HDFC ERGO home insurance policy.
- Section 1 – Fire and Special Perils, Building and Contents
- Section 2 – Burglary and Housebreaking
This section covers against natural disasters and fire related risks including explosion, lightning, riots & strikes, malicious damage, storm, cyclones, typhoon, flood and inundation, landslides etc., Protection against acts relating to terrorism can be availed as optional cover.
This section offers burglary cover for the contents of the house and this cannot be opted on a stand-alone basis.
Optional add-on covers can be opted for the following risks at an extra cost.
- Terrorism and acts relating to terrorism
- Earthquake (inbuilt)
- Damage caused to the policyholder’s home or safe as a result of burglary and/or housebreaking or such attempts, subject to a maximum of 5% of the sum insured as under the burglary section.
HDFC ERGO Home Insurance Policy Exclusions
The following losses are not covered under HDFC ERGO home protection policy.
- Loss or damage caused as a result of nuclear perils
- Loss or damage due to war, invasion, hostilities etc.
- Damage to the property caused because of pollution, contamination, willful misconduct or negligence or willful destruction of property
- Damage due to wear and tear and gradual deterioration or such slowly developing flaws
- Consequential losses are not covered
- Damage or loss to jewelry, precious stones, documents and bullion will not be covered unless specifically declared.
- Long term policy cannot be availed by co-operative societies for the entire building.
HDFC ERGO Home Insurance Eligibility
- Any resident Indian who is the owner or a tenant of a property can purchase a home insurance policy. Multiyear policy cannot be availed by tenants.
- Any authorized member of a housing society’s managing committee can buy a policy that covers common utilities and society buildings.
- This insurance policy cannot be availed for building under construction.
- Tenants can opt only for contents cover for fire and burglary.
- This policy can be availed by individuals residing in flats or independent properties having external walls built of bricks, stones, concrete blocks, RBC, RCC, ACC tiles or roof.
- Multiyear policy can be availed by house or flat owners where coverage for building (as per section 1 of policy cover) is mandatory.
HDFC ERGO Home Insurance Claims Process
- If you have to file a claim, contact HDFC ERGO’s toll-free number to register a claim. The details about the nature and location of loss, approximate estimation of loss amount and policy number will be asked for.
- FIR is necessary for claims related to strike, riot, terrorism, burglary, theft and malicious damage. It is not necessary for loss or damage caused by natural perils.
- After a claim is filed, a surveyor will contact you in 48 hours. A claim for will be sent to the correspondence address within 7 working days and the claim will be process as soon as possible.
- What type of properties are not covered under home insurance?
HDFC ERGO does not offer insurance coverage for property under construction, land, shops, residence cum office properties and “kutcha” construction.
- How is the sum insured calculated?
- Building reinstatement value basis which is calculated as cost of construction multiplied by the floor area.
- Replacement value of insured items which are contents of the house other than personal effects.
- For personal effects, the sum insured is market value of the effect which is replacement value minus the depreciation.
- On what factors does the premium depend on?
The premium is based on the policy period, covers opted, add-on covers and the type of plan.
- I am planning to sell my house which I insured? What will happen to my policy?
After the ownership transfer, the policy stands cancelled. However, the premium will be refunded for the balance insured period.
- What will be the commencement date for my online policy?
The inception date will be 7 days after the payment of premium.
Related Home Insurance Articles
- Questions to Ask When Purchasing Home Insurance
- Tata AIG Home Insurance Standard Fire and Special Perils Cover
- Tata AIG Home Secure Supreme
- Tata AIG Instachoice Home Insurance
- Types of Home Insurance in India
- What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in a Fire
- What does Renters Insurance Cover?
- What is High Value Home Insurance?
- What is Landlord Insurance Policy?
- Why Do You Need Homeowner Insurance This Festive Season?
- Why Should You Buy Home Insurance
- HDFC Ergo Standard Fire & Special Perils Policy
- How do You Calculate Home Insurance Costs?
- How Much Does It Cost To Insure a House
- How to Buy Home Insurance Online
- How to Claim Home Insurance?
- How to Claim Home Insurance for Water Damage?
- How to Compare Home Insurance Companies
- How to get the Best Rate on Home Insurance?
- How to choose Home Insurance Coverage
- Why Home Insurance Price Increase Every Year
- How to get Discounts on Home Insurance?
- Why is House Insurance so Important
- What is Home Insurance Premium?
- What Are the Most Important Features of a Home Insurance Policy?
- How Can You Save Money on Home Insurance
- How to Secure Your Home While Away on Vacation
- 5 Myths About Home Insurance
- Hazard Insurance Vs Home Insurance