At a time when the cost of medical treatment is on a steady rise, the requirement for a health insurance policy has never been felt more. Additionally, there has also been a significant increase in critical illnesses, the treatment cost of which can result in a notable depletion in one’s savings. While a number of health insurance policies provide coverage for a majority of illnesses, having a policy that specifically covers critical illnesses can be a source of assurance at a difficult time. HDFC Ergo has developed a health insurance plan in order to meet this specific requirement.
HDFC ERGO Platinum Critical illness plan is one of the health insurance policies offered by HDFC ERGO general insurance. This plan offers coverage for 15 critical ailments and provides a lump sum payout on diagnosis of the illnesses covered under the policy.
Features and benefits
- The HFDC ERGO Critical Illness Platinum Plan provides policyholders with a lump sum amount after the initial diagnosis, provided the policyholder survives a 30-day survival period.
- The lump sum amount provided covers the cost of the treatment, recuperation aids, provides reimbursement for income loss suffered due to the diagnosis and is also useful for paying off any debts.
- Policyholders have to undergo a 90-day waiting period before raising a claim.
- The plan covers the following critical illnesses:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery and bypass surgery
- End-stage liver disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Kidney failure
- Benign brain tumour
- Major organ transplant
- Heart valve replacement
- Multiple sclerosis
- Primary pulmonary arterial hypertension
- Aorta graft surgery
- The plan also provides policyholders with tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Policyholders up to the age of 45 years need not undergo any kind of medical test to avail the policy. This is dependent on the assumption that the applicant does not have any health adversities.
- Policyholders who undergo diagnostic tests at the empanelled health centres are eligible to receive a 50% discount on the price of the tests. The amount spent on the tests is reimbursed when the policy is accepted and issued.
- Policyholders can receive a maximum sum assured of Rs.10 lakh on the diagnosis of a critical illness.
- The policyholder has a lifetime renewal benefit.
- Policyholders have the benefit of using the 15-day free-look period before the policy is issued.
- In order to be eligible to apply for the policy, applicants should be between the ages of 5 to 65 years.
- The sum insured chosen and the age of the policyholder at the time of purchasing the policy would sometimes require a medical test at one of the diagnostic centres empanelled with the insurance company.
The following are a list of exclusions to the Critical Illness Platinum Plan offered by HDFC Ergo:
- Ailments contracted as a result of a war or service in the armed forces.
- Injuries suffered as a result of any criminal activity
- Attempted suicide
- Attempted suicide as a result of mental illness
- Illnesses contracted as a result of abuse of alcohol and other illicit substances.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV or AIDS. This include related illnesses that result from contracting HIV/AIDS such as brain lymphomas, tuberculosis and Kaposi’s sarcoma.
- Ailments resulting from treatments for pregnancy-related conditions
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the critical illness plan beneficial?
The plan provides the policyholder with financial security in the event where the policyholder is diagnosed with a critical illness.
What are the documents to be submitted when applying for the plan?
The Critical Illness Platinum Plan does not require any documents to be submitted. To apply for the policy, applicants have to submit the proposal form and the cheque for the premium payment. In cases where payment is made by credit card, the card details should be filled out in the proposal form.
What is the sum assured that can be chosen for this plan?
Policyholders can opt for a sum assured ranging from Rs.2.5 lakh to Rs.10 lakh.
What are the modes of premium payments?
Policyholders can make their premium payments through cheque or credit card.
Can the policy be purchased online?
Yes, the Critical Illness Platinum Plan can be purchased on the HDFC Ergo website.
How many claims can be raised during the policy tenure?
Policyholders can raise only 1 claim during the course of the policy.
Read terms, conditions and exclusions mentioned in the policy document.
Find cashless network hospitals nearby: HDFC ERGO Cashless Network Hospitals
Also Read: Best Health Insurance Plans of 2017
Also Read: How to File a Claim with HDFC ERGO?
Other Health Insurance Plans from HDFC ERGO Health Insurance:
- HDFC ERGO Health Suraksha
- HDFC ERGO Health Suraksha Gold
- HDFC ERGO Health Suraksha Regain
- HDFC ERGO Critical Illness
- HDFC ERGO Critical Illness Platinum
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.