HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Ltd. 51:49 joint venture between Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd. (HDFC) Ltd., India’s premier Housing Finance Institution and ERGO International AG, the primary insurance entity of Munich Re Group based in Germany. HDFC ERGO offers complete range of general insurance products ranging from Motor, Health, Travel, Home and Personal Accident in the retail space and customised products like Property, Marine and Liability Insurance in the corporate space.
HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Policy Highlights Updated on 25 Mar 2019
|Third-Party Cover||Up to Rs.7.5 lakh|
|Cashless Network Garages||More than 5,800|
|Incurred Claim Ratio*||84.37%|
|Net Earned Premium*||1516.87|
|Covers Provided||Loss of Use/Down Time Protection, Zero Depreciation Cover, Engine and Gear Box Protection Cover, No Claim Bonus Protection, Cost of Consumable Items, Emergency Assistance Service Programme, Return to Invoice, Key Replacement Cover|
*For Year 2017-2018
Why Choose HDFC Ergo Car Insurance?
A pleasing amalgamation of customer comfort, professionalism and robust features, HDFC ERGO Car Insurance is one of the best car insurance policies that you can purchase in India. Offering multiple options such as cashless service in a network of over 5,800 garages across the country, instant online policy issue, professional 24x7 customer support and a plethora of other benefits, HDFC ERGO Car Insurance has rapidly acquired a staunch fan following and continues to impress year-on-year. With regards to the car insurance from HDFC ERGO, all situations pertaining to the safety of your car and the passengers inside, along with any possible damage, injury or death to a third party, is taken into serious consideration and dealt with by offering a well-rounded, comprehensive and scalable policy. HDFC Ltd. is one of India’s premier housing finance institution (51% stake) while ERGO International AG (49% stake) is the insurance wing of the Munich Re Group.
Private Car Insurance from HDFC ERGO General Insurance:
Buying a car is often a major milestone in most people’s lives. Naturally, ensuring the safety and security of this investment comes high on a new car buyer’s list of priorities. This is where Private Car Insurance comes into play. A safeguard against potential losses that could be incurred from natural calamities such as earthquake, flood, hail and lightning, to man-made situations like theft or damages through accidents or riots, the private car insurance helps you recover your investment and not lose peace as well as property over freak accidents. Private car insurance from HDFC ERGO includes all these fundamental pointers as well as the basic clause of third-party liability wherein you can pay for damages done to another person’s property by your vehicle. It is a true lifesaver, in waiting.
Key Highlights & Features of HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance:
- More than 5,800 authorised list of garages across India for cashless claim service.
- Simple to purchase without lengthy documentation. Can be purchase online instantly.
- A complete suite of discounts for you to avail such as No claim bonus, discount for Automobile Association members, age and profession-based discounts.
- An expert customer support team to address all your queries and concerns.
- Covers a wide range of reasons that lead to loss or damage to the vehicle insured, including damages from accidents, thefts, fire damages, explosions, self-ignitions, lightning, riots, terrorism and other malicious acts, earthquakes, floods, landslides and rockslides, storms and other climatic conditions along with damages because of transit by road, rail, waterways, air or lift.
- Liability to third parties - This policy also covers injury, death or damage caused to a third party via an accident that was caused by or involves your vehicle.
- Personal Accident Cover - A compulsory accident cover, amounting to Rs.2 lakh, that covers death and permanent total disability caused by a vehicular accident, comes as a append to this car insurance policy. This policy also covers the named and unnamed passengers, along with the insured owner/driver, who might be seated per the recommended capacity of the vehicle, at the time of the unfortunate accident.
- Overnight Car Repair Services – In order to help policyholders avoid having to drive around with minor damages, this car insurance policy allows policyholders to get repairs for minor accidental damages of up to 2 panels during any time of the day. By using this facility, you will not have to face the inconvenience that comes with having to leave your car at a garage for repairs. As on January 2019, this facility is available across 11 cities in the country.
Benefits of Applying for HDFC Ergo Motor Insurance Online:
For starters, purchasing or renewing your HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance Online saves you the trouble of visiting a HDFC ERGO outlet, which would involve a definite expenditure of time and effort. By purchasing the policy online with your credit/debit card or using online banking, the highest measure of security as afforded to such online transactions will ensure the complete safety of your investment. Safe, fast and reliable, in one unbeatable package.
Additionally, enjoy the following benefits when you purchase the HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance online-
|Hassle-Free Application Process||No documentations to submit nor verifications to affect at the time of online application. Thus, the process is faster and immensely hassle-free.|
|Ready Support||HDFC ERGO customer support team is just an email or phone call away, to help sort all your queries or concerns through the online application process.|
|24x7 Coverage||Never run out of coverage between the time when your current policy ends and the policy renewal copies have not yet reached you by post. With online renewal, ready e-copy of the policy is issued for you to print out, and of course, helps you stay insured without any breaks.|
|Unmatched Security||The online application process is immensely simple and intuitive, and is also 100% secure. Thus, your investment stays safe and there is a ready paper trail for future references.|
While there are several perks of opting to purchase or renew your HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance online as mentioned in the table above, customers can also benefit from testing out an emergent and successful technology, while parting ways from the common rat race!
HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Plans
The HDFC ERGO Car Insurance policy is a robust, comprehensive, scalable and cost-conscious product that affords 100% protection for your car against accidents and theft, while also giving you 100% peace of mind. In order to enhance this protective experience, HDFC ERGO puts forth a number of add-on covers that provide additional protection against conditions that might not necessarily be covered in the main policy. The available add-ons are segregated into four types-
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Silver plan
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Gold plan
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Platinum plan
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Titanium plan
|Loss of Use/Down Time Protection||No||Yes||No||No|
|Engine and Gear Box||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|No Claim Bonus (NCB) Protection||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Cost of Consumables||No||No||No||Yes|
HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Add-Ons-
Zero Depreciation Cover- Subscribing to this add-on cover allows you to avail the full claim amount without losing any money over depreciation, the reduction in the value of the vehicle due to natural wear and tear that results from the vehicle’s normal usage over a period. However, it should be noted that this cover excludes tyre and battery costs.
Loss of Use/Down Time Protection- This add-on cover takes care of your travel expenditures if the vehicle is parked in the garage for an extended duration of time or is lost and needs replacing. However, the following limitations will apply-
- The daily allowance will equal Rs.500 per day for private cars.
- This add-on cover will be applicable for a maximum of 5 days for partial loss of vehicle and 15 days for total loss or theft claims. Furthermore, this coverage applies in terms of 3 times for partial loss and only once in case of total loss.
Engine and Gearbox Protection Cover- This cover applies to the damage incurred by the engine or gearbox of the insured vehicle due to water uptake, lubricating oil leakages, or other issues arising from accidents, heavy rains, or floods. This add-on cover is applicable for the following:
No Claim Bonus (NCB) Protection- Usually, raising a claim on an insured vehicle nullifies the option to retain a No Claim Bonus (NCB). However, this add-on cover ensures that the NCB option still applies at the time of the policy renewal even after you make a claim. However, it should be noted that the insured can avail up to a maximum of 3 claims per policy. This option offers coverage for:
Cost of Consumables- This add-on cover takes care of the expenses incurred in the procurement of consumable products that are used in a vehicle, and are meant to replace said products in the event of any damage to the concerned vehicle. These consumable items include washers, grease, screw, nut, bolt, engine and other oils, coolants, AC gas, bearings, lubricants, sealants, clips, battery water, gaskets, filters, etc.
Special Add-Ons Available Under HDFC ERGO Car Insurance:
Return to Invoice- This HDFC ERGO Car Insurance add-on cover pays the difference between the Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) and the actual purchase value (as listed on the invoice) of the vehicle, in the case of a total loss or constructive total loss wherein liability is greater than 75% of the vehicle’s IDV. The exclusions to this rule are as follows:
- In case of theft, return to invoice doesn’t apply if the vehicle is recovered within 90 days.
- If the final investigation report with regards to the theft claim isn’t issued by the police authorities, as required, an insured individual will not be able to make a claim under this add-on.
Emergency Assistance Add-On- The scope of this HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Add-On cover plan is to increase the protection accorded to the customers and decrease the financial liabilities faced by them in cases of accidents or permanent loss of the vehicle. This cover takes care of the following conditions-
|On-Site Minor Repairs of the Insured Vehicle||This is specifically pertaining to the mechanical or electrical breakdowns that render the vehicle immobile.|
|Duplicate Keys||If keys are lost, a new set of keys are delivered to the insured’s residential address.|
|Locked or Lost Keys||This helps you gain access to the car in case of lock-out or loss of keys, including breakage of glass or door bending with the permission of the car owner. In case of lost keys, the vehicle will be towed to the nearest safe location, while a new set of keys must be arranged by the customer.|
|Battery Jump Start||This arrangement is made for jump starting a dead or malfunctioning battery.|
|Tyre Change||If the insured vehicle endures a flat tyre, the same will be replaced with the spare tyre as supplied by the customer. If the tyre cannot be replaced then either the vehicle will be towed to the nearest tyre repair shop or the customer will be ferried between the said shop and back to his/her vehicle.|
|Fuel Delivery||Up to 5 litres of fuel is supplied to the customer in cases where the insured vehicle runs out of fuel. The cost of the fuel will be incurred by the customer.|
|Emptying the Fuel Tank||If the fuel tank is filled with the wrong fuel, then the technicians contracted to HDFC ERGO will help empty the tank and complete the associated services.|
|Towing||The insured vehicle is towed to the nearest workshop/garage that is approved by HDFC ERGO in the case of an accident or breakdown that rends the vehicle immobile.|
Emergency Assistance Wider Cover or Key Replacement Cover- As part of the HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance, this convenient add-on cover assists you in cases where the keys of the insured vehicle are lost, misplaced or stolen. In such cases, this cover will arrange for an alternate set of keys, provided the requisite police report is submitted.
Additional Discounts Given By HDFC ERGO Car Insurance:
The additional discounts offered by the HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance policy are as follows-
Age Discount- This particular discount corresponds to the age of the insured and is worded as follows,
- If the age of the insured is between 35- 45 years, 5% discount is offered on Own Damage Section of the policy.
- If the age of the insured is between 46- 60 years, 10% discount is offered on Own Damage Section of the policy.
- Submission of PAN Card copy is a must to avail the discount.
- In case of online HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance policy, the proof of age must be submitted at the time of claim.
Occupation Discount- This particular discount corresponds to 5% OFF on the Own Damage Section of the policy and is relative to the occupation of the insured. The discount applies if the insured is-
- A practicing Chartered Accountant.
- Employed with the defense and paramilitary wings of the Indian armed forces.
- A teacher in a government approved school or other educational institutions.
- Employee working in a State or Central Government concern.
- Medical doctors who are recognized by any Government approved Medical Council.
- In case of online HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance policy, the proof of occupation must be submitted at the time of claim.
HDFC ERGO Third-Party Motor Insurance?
Third-party liability insurance, also referred to as ‘act only’ cover, protects the vehicle owner against the third-party liabilities that may arise due to an unforeseen accident. A statutory requirement under the Motor Vehicles Act, third-party liability insurance covers the damages suffered by any person who is not involved in the insurance contract.
HDFC ERGO motor insurance plan also offers you a comprehensive liability-only insurance scheme with features like dedicated support, hassle-free claim procedures and instant online policy option.
Things covered by HDFC ERGO Third-Party Motor Insurance
A Liability Motor Insurance Policy as offered by HDFC ERGO covers the following clauses.
|Liability to Third Parties||In case of an accident to a third-person involving the policy holder’s vehicle, the policy covers all the legal liabilities that arise due to death or injury of the other party.|
|Personal Accident Cover for Owner & Driver||HDFC Ergo third-party motor insurance also provides a compulsory personal accident cover for an amount of Rs.1 lakh to Rs.2 lakh against accidental death and permanent total disability.|
Things not covered by HDFC ERGO Third-Party Motor Insurance
The following incidents and clauses are excluded by HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance for a third-party liability.
- Claims that arise out of contractual liability
- Any kind of liability that is caused directly or indirectly by nuclear weapons material
- Death arising out of and during the employment period of a person under the employment of the insured beneficiary or any other person who is indemnified under this policy, or any bodily injury sustained by a third-party arising out of and in the course of employment.
How does the HDFC ERGO Third-Party Liability-Only Insurance Scheme Work?
When the beneficiary of a policy is someone other than the two-parties involved in the contract, it is called a “third-party” cover. One important point to note is that the HDFC ERGO third-party motor insurance does not cover the insured or his/her motor vehicle. The policy is designed specifically to cover the legal liability for the damage that the beneficiary has caused to a third party.
Sum Insured per HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance:
The coverage for your cherished vehicle will depend upon the manufacturer’s listed selling price, while subtracting the depreciation factor for each year or the Insured’s Declared Value (IDV). Herein, the IDV is the max amount payable in the event of a claim raised in relation to the total loss or theft of the vehicle.
The premium payable is decided based on the following factors:
Exclusions or Incidents that aren’t covered by the Policy:
- General and natural ageing that results in wear and tear.
- Damage caused to vehicle when the driver wasn’t carrying a driver’s license, and/or driving under the influence of alcohol or other mood/mind stimulating substances.
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Damage to vehicle by war, mutiny or nuclear attacks.
- Any damage to the tyres and tubes of the vehicle isn’t covered by the policy. However, if the said damage occurs as part of a bigger accident that also resulted in damage to the other part of the vehicle, then the liability of the company shall be limited to 50% of the cost of replacement.
- Depreciation in line with the market scenarios and other external conditions.
- Loss of the vehicle or damage incurred while outside India.
- Damages that are caused due to overloading or straining of the insured vehicle.
- Damage caused by the vibration or weight of the insured vehicle and/or the amount of load carried by it.
How to Claim HDFC Ergo Car Insurance:
The procedures involved when raising a claim on your HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance are as follows-
- Call HDFC ERGO’s toll free number to register your claim. This applies to claims raised in relation to accidents or permanent loss due to theft.
- After the intimation, you will be provided a unique claim number that will help with all your future correspondence with HDFC ERGO Car Insurance.
- Ask the customer support’s help to locate the nearest cashless garage in case of accidents. Also, you can request for towing or ambulance services if required. Please note that if you have been involved in an accident with another vehicle, ensure that you note down the car number of the other party as well as the names and contact details of witnesses, if any.
- If there is property damage, injury, theft, major damages and/or third-party injury, damage or death, report the incident to the nearest police station and file an FIR.
- Back at the network garage, get a repair estimate, complete the claim document and attach any other necessary documents as required.
- If the garage chosen by you isn’t listed under the HDFC ERGO network garages, then ensure that only genuine, manufacturer-approved parts as sourced from authorised retailers are used in the ensuing repairs.
- Post the repairs, and after the same has been completed to your full satisfaction, pay ONLY for all the non-accident related repairs, depreciation, additional fittings and other small deductibles. The bulk of the payment will be settled by HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance with the garage.
HDFC ERGO Customer Care Service:
The customer care numbers of HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Ltd. for motor insurance are 022 6234 6234 or 0120 6234 6234. You can contact the customer service team at this number or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, you can request for a call back from the insurer by filling up an online form and submitting it.
You can also walk in to the branch office of the insurance company and request for clarifications or resolutions to your issues. You will be able to find the nearest office by using the branch locator facility on the insurer’s website. You will have to select the state and city and search for the office closest to you. The website also enables you to search for network garages that are affiliated to the insurer where you can receive cashless claim facility. You will have to select the state, city, and make of the car to see the list of garages.
FAQs - HDFC ERGO Car Insurance:
How much coverage does HDFC ERGO car insurance provide?
HDFC ERGO provides coverage for private cars depending on the listed selling price of the car and the Insured Declared Value. Claims can be made through cashless methods and policies can be availed instantly through the HDFC ERGO website.
Does HDFC ERGO have an option to renew premiums online?
Yes, HDFC ERGO car insurance gives customers the option to renew their car insurance premiums online using their bank accounts or credit cards. Transfers from another insurer to HDFC ERGO motor insurance can also be done online while availing full benefits.
How is no claim bonus handled with HDFC ERGO car insurance?
Customers can claim discounts on their premiums while renewing their policies based on the claims that they made during the year. A year without any claim guarantees that a customer gets a discount of 20% on the subsequent renewal. This percentage increases by 5% when an additional claimless year is added to the previous no-claim year. For 3 consecutive claimless years, the discount offered becomes 35%, while the percentage increases to 45% for 4 consecutive claim-free years. Preceding 5 consecutive claimless years, policyholders can avail a discount of as high as 50%. It is also possible to transfer your no claim bonus amounts from your previous policies to HDFC ERGO car insurance.
Should a cover note be availed?
HDFC provides the facility for temporarily insuring your car while it is in the process of registration. This is generally valid for 60 days after which a comprehensive car insurance policy comes into effect.
What type of cars does HDFC ERGO insure?
HDFC ERGO motor insurance provides complete insurance protection for new and used private cars.
What are the exclusions in the HDFC ERGO Car Insurance policy?
General wear and tear in a car, electrical breakdowns, depreciation and damages caused by accidents caused under the influence of alcohol and man-made calamities, and others are not covered by the policy.
Does HDFC ERGO offer discounts based on age and occupation?
Yes, HDFC ERGO car insurance does offer discounts based on the age and occupatiGeneral wear and tear in a car, electrical breakdowns, depreciation and damages caused by accidents caused under the influence of alcohol and man-made calamities, and others are not covered by the policy.on of the applicant. Policyholders between the ages of 35 to 45 can avail a discount of 5% on own damages. And a discount of 10% can be availed by customers aged between 46 to 65 years for similar damages. Customers can get a discount of 5% on own damages if they are in the following occupations – Chartered Accountants, Defense services, Teachers in Government schools and colleges, Central Government and State Government employees, and Government Doctors.
Why do I need auto insurance?
It’s the law. The Motor Vehicle Act decrees that every vehicle running on Indian roads needs to be insured. Failure to comply with the same is punishable by law.
Can the HDFC ERGO Car Insurance be purchased online?
Of course. With a credit card or net banking, you can subscribe to the HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance online. Similarly, you can also renew your policy online.
Can I transfer my current third-party Motor Insurance to HDFC ERGO?
Yes, a third-party motor insurance can be transferred to HDFC ERGO. You will simply have to transfer the ‘No Claim Bonus’ accumulated on your previous policy with the other company over to HDFC ERGO. After that, you can continue enjoying all the benefits of your motor insurance like the way you would have with the previous insurer
The HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance is a comprehensive cover for your vehicle, bringing you world-class private car insurance on very attractive terms. The convenience of purchasing the policy online is appended by the top-notch customer support that comes bundled alongside the main package.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- Tata AIG Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care