Buying a health insurance plan these days is a mandate which is why most of us already have one. But there is a fraction of people who aren’t fully sure of what they really want from a health insurance. With the health insurance segment flooded with a variety of products, getting confused with the choices available isn’t unusual. Most health insurers offer products that provide cover for basic medical needs and lets you reap tax-benefits. In addition to health insurance plans that provide basic coverage and tax benefits, there are a few plans that reward you for staying physically fit. The Activ Health Essential plan by Aditya Birla Health is one such plan.
This offering is an entry variant of the Activ Health plan rolled out by Aditya Birla and focuses on healthy living instead of just providing financial support. The Activ Health Essential plan is a customised health insurance product that intends to boost healthy behaviour among people by rewarding them for being fit and active. It was developed by putting health at the nucleus of health insurance and offers the flexibility of choosing zones based on the city you live in. The Activ Health Essential plan has been thoughtfully designed and created to not only motivate individuals for sustaining a healthy behavior but also reward them. On achieving health goals, rewards in the form of cashback offers will be provided to the policyholder.
How Can Rewards be Earned Under the Activ Health Essential Plan?
Based on the fitness level of an individual, different categories are assigned. The categories are red, amber, and green. If an individual is active for more than 13 days a month, he/she will qualify to be in the green category and is eligible for a cashback of up to 30% of the insured premium every year. This reward benefit has been termed as ‘Health Returns’ by Aditya Birla Health and the cashback is credited to the health account of the insured at the end of each month. The amount can be utilised by the policyholder to pay for renewal premiums or for expenses that are not covered under the health policy, for e.g, OPD (out-patient department) treatments.
To be eligible for the reward system, the user has to undergo a medical test after 90 days of the policy purchase date. These tests include checks for body mass index (BMI), blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, and smoking status and the expenses for these tests are borne by the insurance provider - Aditya Birla. The tests are also used as a tool to ascertain the health status of the policyholder.
To track the fitness level of an individual, an app has been put into place by the insurer. The app has to be downloaded by the user and connected to a wearable device or phone. Various activities like the number of steps walked, heartbeat rate, etc. will be recorded by the app. For individuals who workout at the gym, the activity will be tracked through Bluetooth when the user does a ‘check-in’ at the gyms partnered with Aditya Birla Health. The number of network gyms is huge and extends to over 50 cities in the country. To determine the heath level in places like yoga and swimming centres where a ‘check-in’ facility is not available, a health check-up is done once every 6 months. The fitness level recorded is valid for a period of 6 months after the check-up.
The rewards earned in the form of cashback do not have an expiry date and the benefits can be availed even after the policyholder ports or opts out of the health insurance policy. However, the amount earned has to be availed within 12 months.
What are the Benefits Offered Under the Activ Health Essential Plan?
The Activ Health Essential plan provides a financial cover of up to Rs.10 lakh for medical expenses. For some of the features and benefits that are offered by the Activ Health Essential plan, take a look at the following:
- No waiting period for chronic diseases - Certain lifestyle related chronic diseases like diabetes, asthma, hypertension, etc. are covered from day one of the purchase of the policy. The cover is provided under the Chronic Management Program and it provides coverage for diagnostic tests, physician consultations, hospitalisation, and also cost of medicines. On declaration of the chronic disease by the policyholder, the cover starts applying from the first day onwards.
- Designated wellness coach - To help the policyholders achieve their fitness goals, a team of wellness coaches will provide guidance and encourage them to exhibit a healthy behaviour. They will offer tips and plans to help policyholders stick to their schedules.
- Hospitalisation benefits - In case of hospitalisation of the insured, the policy will cover all expenses including doctor’s fee, room charges, operation theatre expenses, and medicines. Pre-hospitalisation expenses like doctor’s consultation, diagnostic tests will be covered up to 30 days before hospitalisation. After the policyholder is discharged from the hospital, the expenses including physiotherapy and medicines will be covered for up to 60 days. Expenses for day care treatments like dialysis will also be covered by the insurer. In cases where the policyholder is required to receive treatment at home, medical cover is available for that as well.
- Choice of hospital rooms - At the time of commencement of the policy, the policyholder has the option of choosing a hospital room and the premium amount will depend on the room category. If for some reasons, he/she does not get a room of their choice, they will receive a pre-defined percentage of the claims as cashback on their health account.
- No-claim bonus - If within a policy year, no claims are made, the policyholder is eligible for a cumulative bonus. The bonus will be in the form of an increase of 10% on the sum insured every year.
- Second opinion on critical illness - For major medical conditions like heart attack, cancer, kidney failure, etc. there may be a requirement of a second opinion. For such cases, second opinion of international medical experts is provided through an online medium.
- Free health check-up - A policyholder is eligible for one free health check-up every year depending on the stage of life he/she is in.
- Health returns - For displaying a sustained healthy behavior, the policyholder will receive cashback benefits on his/her health account. The cashback amount can be utilised by the policyholder to avail other medical expenses which may be excluded from the coverage of the insurance policy.
- Deductible option available - Under the Activ Health Essential plan, the policyholder can opt for deductible options of Rs.25,000, Rs.50,000, Rs.1 lakh, and Rs.2 lakh to receive substantial discounts on the premium amounts.
- Daily hospital cash allowance - If the policyholder is hospitalised, he/she is entitled to a daily cash allowance (up to 30 days per policy year) to meet the hospital-related expenses. The maximum cash allowance can go up to Rs.5,000 based on the medical needs of the policyholder.
The Activ Health Essential plan makes an attractive health insurance plan for people who, apart from wanting financial assistance also want to invest in their physical well-being.