The Chief Minister's Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme was launched in 2012 in Tamil Nadu, to provide health insurance benefits to economically backward sections of the society. When this scheme was launched, it aimed to benefit 1.34 crore households in Tamil Nadu. The Tamil Nadu State Government offers this scheme through the public sector insurance provider - United India Insurance Company Ltd.
Aim of the Scheme:
This scheme offers coverage to families that are economically weak and is limited to the geographical location of Tamil Nadu. The beneficiaries can avail cashless surgical and medical treatment from public and private sector hospitals. It covers the medical expenses related to ailments, critical illnesses, follow-up treatment, additional diagnostic procedures, etc.
Features and Benefits of Chief Minister's Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme:
- Sum Assured for each beneficiary household is Rs. 1, 00,000 per annum for a period of 4 years. Thus, the total sum assured at the end of this tenure is Rs. 4, 00,000.
- For certain specific clinical procedures, the maximum ceiling on the coverage provided under the scheme is raised to Rs. 1, 50,000 each year.
- Over 250 empanelled hospitals offer their services to the enrolled beneficiaries.
- Cities such as Coimbatore, Chennai and Madurai will have more empanelled hospitals to offer medical services to the beneficiaries.
- This scheme covers 23 diagnostic procedures, 1016 medical procedures and 113 follow-up procedures.
- The expenses arising out of tests required as part of the medical treatment is also covered under this policy.
- The beneficiary will receive an identity card that is biometric-enabled and to avail the Health Insurance policy, he/she has to produce the same at the empanelled hospital where he/she seeks medical treatment.
Eligibility Criteria for Tamil Nadu Health Insurance Scheme:
- Households that earn an annual income of not more than Rs. 72,000 are eligible to avail benefits under this scheme.
- Those who work in the unorganized sectors and are registered under labour welfare boards are eligible to avail this scheme.
- The parents, spouse and children of the above mentioned individuals can also avail this scheme.
- ESI beneficiaries, Government servants, civil pensioners and their families, who earn an annual income of more than Rs. 72,000 are not eligible to avail this scheme.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I file a claim online?
Yes, you can file a claim online on the official website of the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister's Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme by entering the User ID and Password provided to you.
- Who all are included as “family” of the beneficiary and can avail the benefits under this policy?
This policy also covers the family members of the beneficiary, which includes the dependent parents of the beneficiary, his/her legal spouse and his/her children.
- Till what age are children of the beneficiary included in the policy cover?
The children of the eligible individual are covered under this policy until they reach the age of 25 years, get employed or get married, whichever comes first.
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.