Petrol Prices in Lucknow
Being the capital city of Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow is a center of finance, technology and commerce. It is the biggest city by population and area. The city has a vast number of petrol users. In Lucknow, there are approximately 100 petrol stations owned by Bharat Petroleum, Hindustan Petroleum and Indian Oil. A majority of petrol stations are owned by Bharat Petroleum, which is a premier oil marketing brand in India. The consumption of petrol is increasing with a growing number of petrol users in the city. Petrol price in Lucknow are no different.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for January 2020 (rates per litre):
|Highest Rate in December||Rs.76.96|
|Lowest Rate in December||Rs.74.81|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for January 2020:
- Petrol prices in Lucknow witnessed a declining trend over the opening month of 2020. Having opened at Rs.76.26 per litre, the rates slipped to Rs.74.81 by the end of the month with the overall performance showing a downward trend of 1.90%.
- In the opening 10 days or so, the rates of petrol were on an upward curve in the city. This was accounted to tensions between the United States of America and Iran after the killing of an Iranian military general in a US drone attack.
- The increase in the prices saw petrol touch its highest for the month on 11 January with every litre being retailed for Rs.76.96 in the city. However, with the outbreak of coronavirus in China and easing tensions in the Middle East saw global oil prices come down and ensure that the prices of the fuel slipped in Lucknow.
- The petrol rates continued to slip in the city for the rest of the month as a global health emergency was declared by the World Health Organisation (WHO) keeping in view the increasing number of coronavirus cases and deaths.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for December 2019 (rates per litre):
|Highest Rate in December||Rs.76.36|
|Lowest Rate in December||Rs.75.86|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for December 2019:
- The petrol price in Lucknow opened at Rs.76.10 per litre in Lucknow for the month of December 2019. The price increased by 8 paise when compared to the previous day, i.e. 30 November 2019 wherein the rate of petrol was Rs.76.02 per litre.
- With the expectations related to the US-China trade deal, the price of Brent crude oil was quite steady. However, the rise in the price of crude oil in the international market led to the increase in the price of the fuel.
- During the year, there was an overall increase of 24% in the Brent crude prices.
- In Lucknow, the price of petrol closed at the rate of Rs.76.36 per litre. This is the highest recorded rate of the fuel in Lucknow for the month of December 2019. In terms of overall performance, there was an incline of 0.34% in the performance of petrol in Lucknow.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for November 2019 (rates per litre):
|Highest Rate in November||Rs.76.02|
|Lowest Rate in November||Rs.74.23|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for November 2019:
- Petrol price in Lucknow opened the month of November at Rs.74.44 per litre. The rates dropped by 9 paise per litre when compared to the previous day’s closing price. Over the opening week, petrol prices dropped in the city as crude oil prices were relaxed due to the upcoming US and European economic data.
- The rates started to improve from the second week of the month and closed the week at Rs.74.90 per litre.
- Petrol prices continued to improve further in the third and fourth week before closing the month at Rs.76.02 per litre. The rates charged on the final day of the month was also the highest recorded price for petrol in the city.
- The overall performance of petrol for November in Lucknow was 2.12%, trending upwards.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for October 2019 (rates per litre):
|Highest Rate in October||Rs.75.86|
|Lowest Rate in October||Rs74.53|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for October 2019:
- Petrol price in Lucknow opened the month of October at Rs.75.83 per litre . The rates charged on the opening day of the month was the highest recorded price for the entire month.
- The rates dropped gradually after staying constant for a day and closed the first week at Rs.75.19 per litre.
- With seemingly weak demand for fuel and global economic crisis, petrol prices continued to slide in the following weeks as well. Due to the cut in the prices, petrol closed the second and third week of the month at Rs.74.85 and Rs.74.81 respectively.
- The rates of petrol dropped further in the final week of October as fuel suffered in the international oil market due to unprecedented rise in US inventories. Petrol closed the month at Rs.74.53 per litre, the lowest recorded price for the month in Lucknow. Petrol’s overall performance in the city for the month was -1.75%, trending downwards.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for August 2019 (rates per /litre ):
|Highest Rate in August||Rs.73.82 on 26, 27 and 28 August|
|Lowest Rate in August||Rs.71.29 on 19 August|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for August 2019:
- Petrol prices in Lucknow opened the month of August at Rs.72.08 per litre, a 4 paise drop from the rates charged the previous day. The rates dropped in the next few days and closed the first week of the month at Rs.71.63 per litre.
- With the international oil prices fluctuating due to the trade tensions between the United States and China, the rates dropped to Rs.71.41 per litre on 11 August. The rates dropped further in the next couple of days to register the lowest price for the month on 19 August of Rs.71.29.
- The petrol rates in Lucknow jumped in the following days as the prices of international crude oil witnessed a spike with the trade tensions between Washington and Beijing eased. Petrol prices touched Rs.73.82 per litre on 26 August, the highest for the month before closing at Rs.73.77 per litre.
- The overall performance of petrol in Lucknow for August was 2.34%.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for July 2019 (rates per litre)
|Highest Rate in July||Rs.72.56 on 23 and 24 July|
|Lowest Rate in July||Rs.70.22 per litre on 1 July|
Monthly Petrol Price Trend in Lucknow for July 2019:
- When the month began, petrol in Lucknow was sold at Rs.70.22 per litre – the lowest price during the month – and inclined by the end of the week to close at Rs.72.20 per litre after the Centre imposed an additional excise duty and cess of Rs.2 per litre to mop up revenue for social welfare schemes.
- While petrol prices rose initially during the second week, it declined by the end of the month to close at Rs.72.30 per litre despite an inclining crude oil prices due to tensions in the Middle East although supply cuts led by the OPEC and its allies kept markets stable.
- Prices continued to rise during the third week to end at Rs.72.51 per litre amid rising crude oil prices marked largely due to the escalating tensions in the Middle East after the US navy said it downed an Iranian drone in the region.
- By the end of the month, petrol prices rose to touch a monthly high of Rs.72.56 per litre on 23 and 24 July as crude oil price rose sharply amid declining US inventories indicating a weak demand and the ongoing tensions in the Middle East after the US said it may have downed a second Iranian drone.
Trend of Petrol Price in Lucknow for June 2019 (rates per litre)
|2nd June||Rs.71.04 per litre|
|30th June||Rs.70.15 per litre|
|Highest Rate in June||Rs.71.04 per litre on 2 June|
|Lowest Rate in June||Rs.69.80 per litre from 16-23 June|
- Petrol was priced Rs.71.04 per litre on 2 June, up marginally compared to the previous day’s price in Lucknow. This was also the highest petrol price in Lucknow for June 2019.
- Prices declined in the first and second week attributed by the fall in crude oil prices in the market supported by the supply cuts led by the OPEC and its allies even after geopolitical tensions in the Middle East after Iran shot down a US military drone.
- Between 16 and 23 June, petrol prices in Lucknow were at its lowest for the month when it was sold at Rs.69.80 per litre influenced by the sharp fall in crude oil prices in the global market.
- Overall, petrol prices during June 2019 declined by 1.25% owing to the drop in crude oil prices despite geopolitical tensions between the US and China over trade between the two nations and sanctions on Iran.
How are Petrol Prices in Lucknow Revised?
In Lucknow, all 100 petrol bunks will revise petrol prices under the dynamic fuel pricing method, which came into effect on 16 June 2017. Dynamic fuel pricing is a streamlined fuel pricing method in which fuel rates are updated every day at 06:00 a.m. in sync with the exchange rate and the cost of crude oil. Other countries that follow the daily revision system include the United States of America, Russia and Australia. India joins these countries by introducing the system.
The daily revision will enhance confidence in the sustainability of deregulation since regular variations can be easily transmitted to consumers. Under the new system, the revision is free from government interventions. Dynamic fuel pricing also gives oil marketing companies (OMCs) better control and flexibility. Dealers will be able to adopt the best inventory management principles. In the fuel retailing sector, the daily revision is a major reform.
Why Dynamic Fuel Pricing?
Dynamic fuel pricing has been introduced in India to eradicate political influence on fuel pricing, ensure 100% transparency in fuel pricing, align petrol customers to market dynamics, instantly transfer ups and downs in global crude oil prices to end users, reduce the impact on the working capital of dealers and oil marketing entities, and attract the involvement of private participants in the fuel retailing segment.
Petrol Rates in Lucknow Before Dynamic Fuel Pricing
In April 2017, petrol rates in the city were steady throughout the month. The fuel was sold at a price of Rs.69.35 per litre. In May 2017, the price revision was made twice. On the first day of May 2017, the price was Rs.70.76. On the last day of the month, it reduced to Rs.68.61. Prices were down by 3.13% in May 2017. On the opening day of June 2017, petrol was priced at Rs.69.86. On the closing day of the month, the petrol price in the city diminished to Rs.66.74 due to the effect of dynamic fuel pricing.
Petrol prices in Lucknow after dynamic fuel pricing
After the first two weeks of the daily revision, the petrol price in Lucknow started increasing marginally. On the last day of July 2017, the price increased to Rs.68.52 from Rs.66.74 as on the last day of June 2017. The lowest price in July 2017 was Rs.66.51 whereas the highest rate was Rs.68.52. Petrol prices were up by 4.04% and 2.90% in August 2017 and July 2017 respectively. The highest rate in August 2017 was Rs.71.53. On the last day of September 2017, the price further increased to Rs.72.71.
Petrol Costs in Lucknow and other Cities
Petrol was priced at Rs.70.86 in October 2017 in Lucknow. In New Delhi, the capital city of India, the fuel was priced at Rs.68.70. In Kolkata, the capital city of West Bengal, the average petrol rate per litre was Rs.71.50 in the same month. In Mumbai, the state VAT imposed on petrol is high. Due to which, the fuel was sold at an average price of Rs.75.75 per litre. In Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu, the petrol price was lower than Rs.71.50 per litre in the same month.
How are Petrol Prices in Lucknow Assessed?
Crude oil is the primary raw material of petrol. It is bought from overseas oil marketing entities. Crude oil is traded in the base currency, which the currency of the United States of America (USA). The price remitted by Indian oil marketing corporations to purchase unrefined oil is called the cost of crude oil. Indian oil marketing companies also pay the freight charges incurred to shift crude oil from overseas ports to Indian ports. Another cost element is refinery transfer price, which is the price charged by refineries to convert crude oil into petrol.
The profit margin of oil marketing companies (OMCs) is added to the costs incurred by OMCs. The biggest cost element in the price structure of petrol is the tax imposed on petrol. In Uttar Pradesh, petrol is taxed at 32.90%. The central excise duty levied on petrol in India was Rs.19.48 per litre as on 4 October 2017. Other cost elements include the commission charged dealers and pollution cess. All these cost elements are added to arrive at the retail selling price of petrol in Lucknow.
Determinants of Petrol Prices in Lucknow
The central government reduced the central excise duty on petrol by Rs.2 per litre on 3 October 2017. After the revision, the petrol rate in Lucknow was low by Rs.2 per litre. This is how the cost of petrol is impacted by variations in the central excise duty. Unlike Gujarat and Maharashtra, the government of Uttar Pradesh has not lowered the state VAT imposed on petrol in October 2017. Consequently, variations in the state VAT affect the final petrol price. The exchange rate and crude oil prices also affect petrol rates.
What is the Impact of GST on Petrol Price in Lucknow?
Indian customers pay GST on all types of goods and services. GST came into effect on 1 July 2017. All Indian taxpayers are brought under a common platform called GST. Petrol and diesel have not been included under the regime of GST. Therefore, the current GST rate does not make any difference to the cost price of petrol in the state. It is projected that the cost price of petrol will be reduced by at least 30% if GST is imposed on petrol.
Also Check Petrol Price in NearBy Cities of Lucknow
|Petrol Price in Meerut||Petrol Price in Varanasi||Petrol Price in Noida||Petrol Price in Ghaziabad||Petrol Price in Chandigarh|
|Petrol Price in Agra||Petrol Price in Kanpur||Petrol Price in Aligarh||Petrol Price in Bareilly|
*Disclaimer: BankBazaar makes no guarantee or warranty on the accuracy of the data provided on this page, the prevailing prices are susceptible to change and provided on an as-is basis. We accept no liability for any loss arising from the use of the data contained on this website.