Petrol Price in Gulbarga
Petrol price in Gulbarga, a major city in the South Indian state of Karnataka, varies on a daily basis. Officially known as Kalaburagi, the city of Gulbarga was previously a part of Hyderabad State but was later incorporated into Karnataka State.
Located close to two different states – Karnataka and Telangana, the city has a population of more than 10 lakh according to 2014 census. Located in the Gulbarga urban region, the city boasts a large number of private and personal vehicles.
Petrol price in Gulbarga hence plays a critical role in the day-to-day life of a common man. Just like in other Indian cities, petrol price in Gulbarga is composed of various elements, few of which vary on a daily basis, while other elements affect the rate of petrol once in a while.
To better understand the dynamics of petrol pricing in Gulbarga, why it varies on a daily basis, why is it on a constant rise for the past few years, etc., let’s drill down further into the topic.
Factors affecting Petrol Rate in Gulbarga
Petrol price in Gulbarga, similar to other Indian cities, is made of various national and international elements. While International factors such as international crude oil price and currency exchange rate affect petrol price in the city on a daily basis, domestic elements including central and state government taxes, oil company’s profit margins and dealer’s commission, do show some impact on petrol prices but not on a daily basis.
Let’s us look at each element that affects petrol price in Gulbarga in detail.
- Indian Crude Basket: More than 70% of India’s crude oil requirements are being imported from other countries. The price of Indian crude basket, which is the price of crude oil imported by Indian oil companies, thus plays a critical role in petrol pricing in India.
The price of crude oil is dynamic in nature and changes on a daily basis depending on a lot of external factors such as demand and supply metrics, climatic conditions and political stability in oil-producing countries. To calculate today’s petrol price in Gulbarga, yesterday’s price of Indian crude basket will be considered.
- Currency exchange rate: Crude oil trading typically happens in US dollars across the globe. Indian companies purchase each barrel of oil in US dollars. Hence, while computing petrol price in Gulbarga, each US dollar will be converted to corresponding Indian rupees. The fluctuating nature of dollar thus shows an impact on the petrol price on a daily basis. Whenever the dollar strengthens, petrol price in Gulbarga increases and whenever Indian rupee strengthens petrol price declines.
- Central government taxes on petrol: Indian government collects excise duty on every litre of petrol sold in the country. All the states in India will be charged equal amount of excise duty on petrol. Currently, the excise duty on petrol in India is Rs.19.48 per litre. The recent tax cut happened in February 2017, when the central government reduced excise duty on Petrol and diesel by Rs.2 per litre.
- Karnataka state tax on petrol: The state governments collects value-added tax (VAT) on every litre of petrol sold in their respective state. Unlike central government’s excise duty, the VAT on petrol varies from one state to another as VAT will be charged differently by each state government.
Karnataka State government currently levies a VAT of 28.31% on every litre of petrol sold in the state. Since Gulbarga comes under the state, the same VAT applies for the petrol sold in the city.
- Profit margins of oil companies: The profit margins of Indian oil companies that include crude oil transportation charges, refining costs, and marketing costs do affect the petrol price in Gulbarga. However, the change may not be on a regular basis. Whenever there is a revision in profit margins, petrol prices in the city would get affected.
- Dealer’s commission: Dealers purchase refined oil from oil companies and sell it in their respective petrol pumps. They add oil transportation cost from the refinery to fuel station, pump maintenance costs, etc., in the form of dealers commission to the cost price of petrol. The dealer’s commission is usually decided by the oil companies and will be revised once every year. Hence, it will not show continuous effect on petrol price in Gulbarga.
Components of Petrol Price in Gulbarga, Karnataka
Using the factors listed above, let’s see how the petrol rate in Gulbarga on 27th April 2018 was calculated.
|1||International crude oil price along with ocean freight charges||$79.65 per barrel = Rs.32.86/Litre (considering $1=65.61 and 1 barrel oil = 159 litres)|
|2||Oil company’s margin, transportation, refining and freight cost||Rs.2.82/Ltr|
|5||Value added tax (VAT)||Rs.17.08/Ltr|
|Total||Retail selling price of petrol at Gulbarga||Rs.75.84/Ltr|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on petrol price in Gulbarga
- Why does petrol price in Gulbarga change on a daily basis?
- Why petrol prices in Gulbarga are lesser compared to petrol prices in Hyderabad?
- What is the impact of GST on petrol price in Gulbarga?
Petrol price in Gulbarga changes every day because of the dynamic fuel pricing model. The new pricing mechanism was implemented in India in June 2017. Based on the new pricing model, petrol prices in Gulbarga will be revised every day considering previous day’s international crude oil price and currency exchange rate. Every petrol pump in Gulbarga will update the new prices every day by 6 a.m.
Though Gulbarga is located close to Hyderabad, petrol price in the former city is lesser compared to petrol prices in Hyderabad because of the state government tax. As mentioned earlier, VAT charged on petrol differs from one state government to another. Since Karnataka levies lesser VAT compared to Telangana government, the price of petrol in Hyderabad is higher than in Gulbarga.
GST or the goods and services tax was the new taxing system currently in use in India. Since the new tax regime is implemented recently, it is not being applied to all categories of products and services. Though most of the manufactured goods and services and taxed under GST, a few retail products are still kept outside GST net. Petrol and other fuel products are not taxed under GST. Hence, we could still see both the central and state governments collecting separate tax on petrol and diesel. GST thus has no impact on petrol prices in Gulbarga and also in rest of the country.
Also Check Petrol Price in NearBy Cities of Gulbarga
|Petrol Price In Belgaum||Petrol Price In Shimoga||Petrol Price In Udupi||Petrol Price In Bellary|
|Petrol Price In Kozhikode||Petrol Price In Coimbatore||Petrol Price In Mangalore|
*Disclaimer: BankBazaar makes no guarantee or warranty on the accuracy of the data provided on this page, the prevailing prices are susceptible to change and provided on an as-is basis. We accept no liability for any loss arising from the use of the data contained on this website.