With the number of motor vehicles increasing on the narrow roads of Bengaluru every day, it is the need of the hour for the commuters to learn about the taffic rules and the possible violations they could make. This would increase safety on the roads and decrease the possibility of accidents that are currently occurring at a very high rate.
Traffic rules to be followed when driving a four-wheeler in Bengaluru
- Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited.
- Drivers are required to carry all relevant documents with them.
- The driver should not use his or her mobile phone while driving.
- Any driver on the road should help and coordinate traffic if the need arises for it.
- People sitting on the front of the vehicle should wear seat belt.
Traffic rules to be followed when driving a two-wheeler in Bengaluru
- Riders are required to carry all relevant documents with them.
- The rider as well as the pillion will have to wear helmets.
- The rider should not use his or her mobile phone while travelling on a two-wheeler.
- Drinking and riding is strictly prohibited.
Possible violations while driving a motor vehicle on Bengaluru
- Driving the motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs that are banned: A hefty fine will be charged for any rider or driver who is under the influence of alcohol or banned drugs.
- Driving the motor vehicle at a speed higher than the speed limit: Any person who is caught driving his or her motor vehicle at a speed which is higher than the speed limit will be charged with a penalty.
- Driving a four-wheeler without wearing the seat belt: Hefty fines will be charged to individuals who do not wear the seat belt while driving.
- Riding a two-wheeler without wearing a helmet:Hefty fines will be charged to the rider as well as the pillion if they do not wear a helmet while travelling on a two-wheeler.
- Driving the motor vehicle without a licence: Not carrying the driving licence and other relevant documents at the time of driving or riding will invite a hefty fine.
List of traffic fines in Bengaluru
|Type of fine||Amount in Rs.|
|The driver is driving dangerously on a two-wheeler||5,000|
|The driver is driving dangerously in a Non-Transport Vehicle (White Board)||5,000|
|The driver is driving dangerously in a Non-Transport Vehicle (Yellow Board)||5,000|
|The driver is driving above the speed limit||INR 1,000 for Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs); INR 2,000 for Medium Passenger Vehicles (MPVs|
|Racing & trails of speed||5,000|
|Violation of licensing conditions (Aggregators)||25,000 to 1 lakh|
|Not making way for emergency vehicles||10,000|
|Offences made by juveniles (aged below 18 years)||Fine amount of Rs.25,000 and 3 years of imprisonment to be faced by the guardian of the individual or owner of the vehicle; The individual is to be tried under the JJ Act and the registration of the vehicle is to be cancelled|
|The driver has parked in a No Parking zone||100|
|The Auto or taxi driver is demanding Excess Fare & refusal to come for hire etc.||If the offence is committed for the first time by the driver, the fine levied is Rs.100/-, for any subsequent offences the fine levied is Rs.300/-|
|The fare meter in a transport vehicle is defective||100|
|Usage of Shrill Horn unnecessarily by the motor vehicle driver||100|
|The driver is driving the vehicle without proper permit||Court fine|
|The driver is driving the vehicle without Driving licence (Two-wheeler)||300|
|The driver is driving the vehicle without Driving licence (Non-Transport Vehicle – Four-Wheeler)||400|
|The driver driving the vehicle is underage||500|
|Jumping a Traffic Signal||100|
|Cutting the Yellow Lane/Lane Discipline||100|
|The vehicle has a defective Number Plate||100|
|The driver is driving without Insurance Certificate||500|
|The driver is driving with a Defective Head Light||100|
|The driver is driving without Taillight||100|
|The driver is driving any Motor Vehicle without number plate||If the offence is committed for the first time by the driver, the fine levied is Rs.100/-, for any subsequent offences the fine levied is Rs.300/-|
|The driver is holding / using Mobile Phone while Driving / riding a Vehicle||100|
|The driver is not wearing a helmet while riding the two-wheeler||Rs.1,000 and disqualification of driving licence for 3 months|
|Triple riding (Two-wheeler)||100|
|Using Black Film/Other Materials||If the offence is committed for the first time by the driver, the fine levied is Rs.100/-, for any subsequent offences the fine levied is Rs.300/-|
|The pillion rider is not wearing a helmet||100|
|Three people are riding on a two-wheeler vehicle||100|
|The driver is driving the vehicle without wearing Seat Belt||100|
|Wrong Parking + Towing charges (Two-Wheeler)||750|
|Wrong Parking + Towing charges (Car / Three-wheelers)||1100|
|Wrong Parking + Towing charges (Medium Transport Vehicle)||1350|
|Wrong Parking + Towing charges (Heavy Goods Vehicle)||1600|
|Offences committed by law enforcing officials||Twice the penalty amount under the respective Section of the Motor Vehicle Act|