United India Insurance Company Limited is a public sector General Insurance Company of India (wholly owned by Govt. of India). With the net worth of Rs 5,361 crores as on the financial year 2013-14, the company has more than three decades of experience in non-life insurance business headquartered in Chennai.
United India Car Insurance Policy Highlights Updated on 31 May 2020
|Third Party Cover||Upto 7.5 L|
|Incurred Claim Ratio*||91.72%|
|Net Earned Premium*||Rs.5,748.32 crore|
*For Year 2017-2018
United India Insurance Co. Ltd., formed in 1938 and nationalised in 1972, is one of India’s oldest insurance companies. It has an extensive reach with 1,340 offices servicing clients in urban, semi-urban and rural areas. The company also boasts one of the most diversified product portfolios with solutions that provide coverage for assets ranging from livestock to satellites. The following kinds of insurance are offered to customers: Fire, Health, Motor, Marine, Industrial, Liability, Credit, and Micro Insurance.
Who Needs Car Insurance?
It is required by all those who intend to drive in the country. As mandated by law, all vehicles plying on Indian roads have to have third-party insurance. Own-damage policies are optional but by availing a comprehensive policy one can ensure all-round protection.It is also more economical to have an all-in-one package than having separate indemnity contracts.
What Is Private Car Insurance?
It is a form of personal insurance, usually included in the product portfolio of general insurance companies that aims to safeguard the financial interests of motorists with insurable interest in automobiles used for private purposes. Subject to provisions, passengers and paid employees are also included in the scope of the contract. Cars, being an expensive asset, can be the subject of situations that give rise to unpredictable financial setbacks.
United India’s Motor Package
The company offers ‘third-party liability only’ covers as well as comprehensive packages. It is always advisable to opt for comprehensive packages since it is impossible to tell what kind of events can lead to losses. The nature of hazards can be varied and financial fallouts can prove to be expensive not to mention the inconvenience that one has to bear in the absence of a necessary vehicle.
What Does The Third-party Liability Plan Cover?
The third-party liability plan from United India Insurance offers the following coverage:
- It protects the policyholder from legal liability to third parties for injuries, death, or property damage.
- The plan protects the owner-driver of the insured car from injuries and death in an accident. This is also referred to as personal accident cover for the owner-driver.
What Is Not Covered Under The Third-party Liability Plan?
The following incidents are not offered coverage under the third-party liability plan from United India Insurance:
- Contractual liability
- Nuclear threats and war perils
- Consequential loss
- The normal wear and tear of the vehicle with age and depreciation in its value
- Electrical and mechanical breakdown
- Damages to the vehicle when driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Damages to the vehicle while it was outside the geographical area specified in the policy
- Using the vehicle beyond specified limits
- Driving the vehicle without a valid driving license
What Does The Comprehensive Car Insurance Plan Cover?
A comprehensive policy takes care of the financial needs of the proposer as well as third-parties in the event of an accident involving the insured vehicle. The United India comprehensive car insurance plan offers the following coverage:
While many insurers limit the scope of coverage, United India extends its protection to a wide range of situations that cause impairment to the owner-driver’s life/property. Policyholders are entitled to make claims for losses incurred due to:
- External causes, deliberate or intentional.
- Larceny - this includes loss or damages to accessories.
- Fire, environmental disasters e.g. landslides, floods etc.
- Transit mishaps (whether through road, rail, waterways etc.)
- Terrorism, public disturbances.
If the accident leaves the car in need of repairs, cover (at marginal, additional costs and within specified limits) extends to:
- Transporting the automobile to the nearest repair centre.
- Repairs required to be done immediately.
- While many insurers limit the scope of coverage, United India extends its protection to a wide range of situations that cause impairment to the owner-driver’s life/property. Policyholders are entitled to make claims for losses incurred due to:
- Third-party Legal Responsibility:
As awarded by the court to the third party involved, to compensate for:
- Physical injury/disability.
- Property destruction.
- Personal Accident Cover For Owner-driver:
Compensation payable relates to the type of loss:
- 100% in the event of death, loss of two limbs, loss of vision in both eyes, loss of one limb and vision in one eye and Permanent Total Dismemberment (PTL).
- 50% in the event of loss of only one limb or loss of vision in only one eye.
- Available on payment of extra premium.
- The following can be included in the scope of the contract:
- Usage in the following geographic locations (outside the regular boundaries) - Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives @ Rs.500 per car.
- Personal accident covers - for employees and unnamed occupants of the car during the time of the accident.
- Imported or non-factory fitted electrical and electronic accessories - @4% on cost of the equipment.
- Bi-fuel kits - upon declaration; @4% on cost of the CNG-LPG kit.
- Fuel tanks made of fiberglass - @ Rs.50 above own-damage premium.
What Is Not Covered Under The Comprehensive Plan?
The following exclusions are incorporated in the United India comprehensive car insurance contract:
- Contractual obligations.
- War, nuclear hazards.
- Driving while intoxicated by liquor or drugs.
- Loss due to natural usage, devaluation with age, general depreciation.
- Driving beyond permissible boundaries (geographically).
- Usage beyond permissible limits.
- Driving without a valid license.
What Is The Sum Assured?
The sum assured/insured is referred to as the IDV of the car.
IDV stands for Insured’s Declared Value and is calculated as the producer’s selling price of the automobile (of the same type, make, model, specifications) less the depreciation (applicable as per the below-mentioned table). The IDV, considered to be the market value, reduces with every passing year since the depreciation increases as the motor vehicle ages.
(depreciation indicated against automobile age)
- 5% - up to 6 months
- 15% - between 6 months and 1 year
- 20% - between 1 and 2 years
- 30% - between 2 and 3 years
- 40% - between 3 and 4 years
- 50% - between 4 and 5 years
- As decided by the insurer and insured - Above 5 years (and models no longer manufactured).
The above schedule is used for Total Loss (TL) or Constructive Total Loss (CTL). CTL is considered when total cost of damages is greater than 75% of IDV.
For third-party liability the cover is set as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
On What Basis Are Premiums Calculated?
- For own-damage: Set on the basis of IDV or sum insured.
- For third-party liability: Set as per tariffs under the Motor Vehicles Act,1988.
What Are The No-Claim Benefits?
No-Claim Benefits that the proposer is entitled to upon renewal are as follows:
- 20% - 1 year.
- 25% - 2 years.
- 35% - 3 years.
- 45% - 4 years.
- 50% - 5 years.
- The years mentioned here relate to the consecutive, claim-free years, preceding renewal. The percentage of bonus mentioned relates to Own-damage premium.
- Renewal should be executed within 90 days of policy expiry.
What Are The Other Discounts Offered?
In addition to no-claim bonuses, the proposer can avail the following discounts for:
- Installation of ARAI-approved anti-theft devices: @ 2.5% or Rs.200, whichever is less.
- Membership with recognised auto associations: @ 5% or Rs.200, whichever is less.
- Special vehicles: @ 50% for use by the differently-abled.
- Classic/Vintage cars: @ 25% for cars produced before 21.12.1940, recognised by the Vintage and Classic Cars Club of India.
- Use within the insured’s premises: @ 33% on tariff rates.
Besides the obvious benefits of this motor package policy , the company also offers a quick and easy way to process claims by undertaking repairs at any of its numerous associated garages which form a part of its network for cashless servicing.
This policy has the added advantage of an online purchase and renewal facility thereby saving clients time, money and effort in addition to easy tracking of applications and policy status.
United India Car Insurance Calculator
You can buy the United India car insurance policy either by contacting the insurer directly or through neutral financial websites. In case you intend to buy the motor insurance through neutral websites such as BankBazaar, you can make use of the United India car insurance calculator facility without any added cost.
This tool enables you to check the premium you will be paying for your car insurance. You will have to give the following information as input to the tool:
- Your personal details, such as age, driving history, profession, etc.
- Details about your car, including its make and model, year of registration, location of use, etc.
The United India car insurance calculator tool will give you a premium quote based on the information you have provided. If you agree with the quote, you can go ahead and purchase the policy.
Neutral financial websites also enable you to compare insurance plans between providers and identify a policy that is best suited to your needs. Further, policy purchase can be done through an interactive interface that simplifies the entire process.
United India Car Insurance Claim Procedure
If the insured car meets with a loss as indicated in the policy documentation, the policyholder should take the following steps to file a claim:
- Contact the insurance company’s branch office where the policy was issued. If the accident occured at a location other than the city/town where the policy was issued, you can get in touch with the nearest office of the insurer. The insurance company will arrange for a survey of the vehicle.
- If the loss was significant or includes riot losses/fire, keep the car at the site of the accident till it is inspected by a surveyor from the insurance company.
- If there were injuries/deaths of third parties, you should inform the nearest police station of the incident. If you have assisted in getting medical attention for the injured in a hospital, you should inform the insurer of the hospital’s name and the name of the attending doctor.
- After completing these formalities, you can get the car towed to any authorised garage and get a quote for repairs.
- Then submit the quote to the insurer with the updated United India car insurance claim form. The insurance company will perform the final survey after this. During this survey, it is necessary to furnish the complaint that was lodged at the local police station, along with the original FIR. It should be noted that the FIR is mandatory when there is an injury to third party.
- You should be aware of the fact that the repair work on the vehicle should commence only after you get a go-ahead from the final surveyor.
- After the completion of repairs, in the case of partial-loss claims, you will be required to submit cash bills for labour and spare parts and request for reimbursement.
Salvage is a damaged property that an insurance company takes over to minimise the loss incurred, after paying the claim value. Insurance providers receive salvage rights over properties for which they have honoured claims. Salvage charges refer to the costs associated with repairing/recovering the salvage.
If your car has been tagged as a salvage, you should take utmost care to preserve it in its current form till the entire claim settlement process is complete. This is applicable irrespective of the mode of claim settlement. If you do not preserve the salvage, the claim settlement may be jeopardised. United India also has the right to inspect a salvage whenever it is required. If the claim settlement is delayed by unforeseen situations, you can take the help of the insurance provider or the surveyor for disposal of the salvage.
- Theft Losses:
In case your vehicle was stolen, you will have to immediately inform the police and the policy issuing branch of the insurer. Delays in lodging the FIR and informing the insurance company of the incident could lead to a claim rejection. It should be noted that filing an FIR is not only mandated by the insurer, but it is also a legal requirement. You should also submit the updated United India car insurance claim form to the insurer to start off the claim settlement process.
At the time of a claim, it is also advisable not to engage any unauthorised individuals in the workflow. The insurance company should be contacted directly, or through authorised representatives of the insurer.
The United India car insurance claim procedure is quick and transparent. This is a significant benefit at the taxing time of a car insurance claim.
United India Insurance Grievance Redressal Process
If you have a grievance or complaint related to the services provided by the insurance company, you can approach the branch of the insurer and report the grievance. Alternatively, you can write an email to the policy issuing office, the regional branch office, or the head office of the insurer.
In case you are dissatisfied with the company’s response, you can always escalate the issue to the Honourable Ombudsman for redressal. Details of the same are available at the policy issuing office of the insurer and the official website of the insurance company.
United India Car Insurance Policy Renewal
It is possible to renew your United India car insurance online at the insurer’s website. This facility enables you to renew the policy in a convenient manner without the hassles of extensive paperwork.
- In order to renew your United India car insurance online at the insurer’s website, you should click on the menu option corresponding to ‘Quick Renewal’.
- In the online form that appears, provide your car insurance policy number and click on ‘Fetch Data’.
You will receive details of the existing policy. After confirmation of the information, you will be required to provide certain mandatory details for the renewal quote. This includes:
- Your personal details, such as age, profession, driving history, etc.
- The details of the car, including its engine capacity, make and model, year of registration, location of usage, etc.
- Once you submit this information, you will receive a quote for your auto insurance. If you agree to the quote, you can proceed with the payment process.
- Payments can be done effortlessly through credit/debit cards or through netbanking.
If there is no gap in the insurance coverage of your vehicle, the insurance provider may not mandate a car survey. The renewal process, when done through the online route, is hence easy and instant.
Alternatively, you can visit the branch office of the insurance company and request for policy renewal. You will be required to furnish all relevant documentation for this, so you should be prepared for the same.
United India Car Insurance Customer Care
The number of the head office of United India Insurance is 91-044-28520161. You can get in touch with the insurer by dialing this number or by sending an email on email@example.com. Alternatively, you can call up the customer care team at the toll-free number, 1800 425 33333. The team will assist you between 10 a.m. and 5.45 p.m. throughout weekdays.
In order to record grievances, you will have to go to the appropriate page on the website of the insurance company and enter your policy number or issuing city. The name of the contact person, address, phone number, and email ID will then be displayed.
The office locator facility available at the website is very useful, as it helps you get the addresses and phone numbers of the various branch offices of the insurer across the country. You will have to provide the state and city for the same. You can also get a list of all the network garages affiliated to the insurer where you can avail cashless claim settlement facility.
FAQS For United India Car Insurance
- What are the different policies available to customers?
United India provides car insurance package policies and liability only policies.
- Does the United India Car Insurance policy cover damage/loss of accessories by burglary/housebreaking/theft?
Yes. United India Car Insurance policy covers damage/loss of accessories by burglary/housebreaking/theft.
What are the discounts that can be availed on insurance premium under United India car Insurance?
- 25% discount on vintage cars
- 20% to 50% no claim bonus, depending on claim free years.
- Automobile Association members get a discount of 5% on own damage premium.
- Vehicles with anti-theft devices get a discount of 2.5%
- Vehicles specifically designed for blind/handicapped/mentally challenged people can be insured with a 50% discount on the own damage premium.
- Can I substitute my present vehicle under the existing policy?
In the balance period of a policy, a vehicle can be substituted by another vehicle, subject to adjustment of premium if any, on pro rata basis from the date of substitution.
- Can transfer of ownership be done on an existing policy?
Yes. In case of change of ownership the transfer of Insurance policy has to be done within 14 days from the date of transfer of ownership.
- United India Health Insurance
- United Bank of India Used Car Loan
- United Bank of India Personal Loan
- United Bank of India Car Loan
- United Bank Of India Car Loan Interest Rates
- United Bank Of India Car Loan Eligibility Calculator
- United Bank of India Recurring Deposit Rates
- United Bank of India Fixed Deposit Rates
- United Bank of India Personal Loan Interest Rates
- United Bank of India Personal Loan Eligibility
- United Bank of India Credit Card
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
This Insurance Company has not partnered with BankBazaar.com. For more details, please visit its website/branch office. The trademarks, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective owners.