Michael has always been a safe driver. Perhaps that is the reason he still could not get over the shock that he, of all people, got involved in a road mishap. And more than that, it was quite a vicious crash. Though he knows that he is not to blame, it is dreadful that there was no way he could have avoided it.
This sums up most car accident scenarios. Precariously unpredictable! But no matter whose fault it is, damage to the car and third part (if any) is sure to be followed by medical expenses, repair costs and legal hassles if you choose to sue or are sued. There is a reason why our law clearly states that it is mandatory to buy a third party cover when you buy your car insurance. Statistics of the accidents keep rising up alarmingly high, and accountability is something we all by instinct try to wash our hands off. Automobile insurance is something of an impervious business arena. We know premiums have to be disbursed monthly, sometimes somewhat unwillingly. It is at a time of an unforeseen accident like the one mentioned above that it will evolve as a true blessing.
Here are step by step instructions on what to do if you get involved in a car accident:
- How badly injured are you? First thing after making sure that you OK is to calm down. Presence of mind is going to be your best tool to get through this.
- It is strongly recommended that you record and jot down every detail that you can observe about the car, victims and the place where the incident occurred. Inform the police and your insurance company as soon as possible. Take care to give them the minutest of the details including that of the witnesses. Make note of the witnesses and get their contact details if they permit you.
- The most important thing about filing a claim is to keep within the agreed time frame of claiming. You need to notify them immediately and if you inform late, they can hold that against you to reject your claim.
- Have a detailed chat with your insurance agent about the claim procedure. Click pictures of the place of accident, the vehicles and victims from multiple angles. This will not only help you with the claim process, but also with the police case if required.
- If you can give ample proof that the accident happened due to negligent driving from the other side, well and good.
- Record your own injuries. Get a doctor’s opinion on the kind of injury and how soon you can recover. The insurer can later compare the hospital bills and your statement. If it becomes a police case, get an FIR copy or case number from them to submit it to the insurer.
- File away all your bills and keep track of every expense you sustained due to this incident.
- Best Tips to Save Money on Car Insurance Renewal
- Smart Steps For Switching Car Insurance
- Best Reasons To Buy Car Insurance Online
- Car Insurance Tips - When Not to Claim Your Insurance Policy
- Top Reasons Why Car Insurance Claims Are Denied
- Simple Ways To Help You Save On Motor Insurance Premium
- Must Have Car Insurance Add-On Covers for Luxury Cars
- Best Kept Secrets of Car Insurance
- Insurance for Car Damaged Due to Natural Disaster
- Insurance for SUV Cars
- Factors Affecting Car Insurance Premium in India
- How to Keep Your Car Protected During Winters
- Car Stolen? You Deserve Insurance As Much As Anyone
- Top Seven Car Checklist before Long Drive
- How to Claim for Accidents Occurred in the Middle of Vehicle Ownership Change
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017