A survivor of any natural calamity can say that it is one of the most devastating and traumatic experiences in life. Your whole life and everything you have lived for (livelihood, family, pets, assets…) dangles in front of your eyes before getting uprooted completely.
Even a lesser catastrophe like a falling tree or some animal leaping onto your car while driving through the woods, can unpredictably leave you without wheels. In these scenarios, the last thing you need more hassles. Keeping this in mind, here are some basic tactics to file for car insurance or even replace it if required to get back on the road at the earliest.
Check if your Automobile Insurance Cover Natural Calamities:
Before making any kind of decision, please determine the level of indemnity you have. If your car was ruined in a flood like Esther’s, it is probably protected if you have an all-inclusive coverage as part of your motor insurance plan. This generally comes under ‘other-than-collision’ cover and includes incidents like flood, storm, falling objects among others. If you are residing in a region prone to such disasters, it is important to have this cover in your car policy.
Documenting The Damage:
As soon as you are up to it (or deems safe to do so), click pictures of the damage incurred from multiple angles, not forgetting the interiors and the engine. Meanwhile keep all papers related to the car and its insurance ready. Of course our first instinct would be to get the car cleaned up, but this is not advisable. The insurance company representative getting firsthand glimpse of the extent of harm can do wonders to your case.
Quickly file your claim:
Once the documentation is done, file your motor insurance claim as soon as possible. They are normally settled on a first-come, first-served basis, especially if the vehicle is damaged in a widespread calamity. And if you do not have disaster coverage, check your home or renters insurance. If you are lucky, that might cover damage to the car too.
When the annual floods stuck her city the previous year, Mrs. Esther Thungon and her family were hunkered down in their multi level house. It was 10 PM when they decided to call it a day, but the power was still off. That is when she gets a text from her friend about the bad news. Flood. Water was already entering her garage, where she had earlier locked her car, hoping to keep it out of harm's way. In spite of the blackout, she could see that the lanes below her windows were swiftly becoming rivers. Subsequent afternoon, the water had retroceded enough for Esther to step out, and even then there was water up to her knees. She trudged towards the garage to check on the status of her vehicle. It looked fine. But when she opened the door, water gushed out. With a heavy heart she decided to pick a replacement.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- Tata AIG Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017