If you own a CNG vehicle and you always thought that a basic motor insurance would suffice as a cover for your car, you are mistaken. Read on to understand more about the advantages of a CNG fitted car and the process on how to insure it.
Why should you opt for a CNG vehicle?
A CNG vehicle is a great option if you are looking for a sustainable and economical mode of travel. It is known that natural gas can provide you the same mileage for one-third the price of regular fuel. Hence, CNG is a cheaper alternative to regular petrol or diesel. Continuous use of CNG improves the life of your car?s engine due to reduced emission levels of carbon, making this the most eco-friendly fuel available.
Since compressed natural gas is favourable to the environment and your fuel budget, it is wise to install a CNG kit in your car at the earliest. If you do so, you should be aware of the formalities that need to be undertaken in order to upgrade your insurance. Let us explore two different scenarios in which you can opt for CNG coverage.
- New CNG fitting installed in old cars
In this situation, your car would already be equipped with an appropriate insurance policy. So, installing a new CNG fitting would require you to separately insure the kit. In case you decide not to upgrade your insurance, you are bound to face issues at the time you make claims in the future.
CNG kits are usually installed in the trunk of a car; so there are greater chances of it getting damaged in a collision with another vehicle. This is one more reason to get your CNG fitting adequately insured.
- CNG kit pre-fitted in a new car
When you are purchasing a new car fitted with a CNG kit, the situation is altogether different from the one above. Since the kit is installed by the manufacturer, your RC book can be easily updated with the CNG seal. The new auto insurance that you purchase will have the CNG option included in it. You just need to verify that the declaration for CNG is present in the car insurance policy and the RC book, as expected.
The importance of insuring your CNG kit separately
When you install a CNG kit after the purchase of a vehicle, the amount of premium that would be required to top it up with a CNG coverage is usually a small value. In most cases, it comes up to 4% of the actual cost of the kit. In case you do not upgrade your insurance policy with the necessary cover for CNG, you would be losing much more money than you stand to gain by not opting for one! So it is best to procure adequate insurance at the earliest.
There would, however, be an inspection and approval process preceding the upgrade of your policy to one that covers the CNG fitting. You would have to comply with the inspection procedures and furnish the required documentation for the same.
In a nutshell, it is a great decision to purchase or upgrade your vehicle with CNG fittings. But the extra step that goes into getting your car appropriately insured should be followed without fail.
- Smart Steps For Switching Car Insurance
- Best Reasons To Buy Car Insurance Online
- Car Insurance Tips - When Not to Claim Your Insurance Policy
- Top Reasons Why Car Insurance Claims Are Denied
- Simple Ways To Help You Save On Motor Insurance Premium
- Useful Add On Covers To Save Your Car In Monsoon
- Must Have Car Insurance Add-On Covers for Luxury Cars
- Best Kept Secrets of Car Insurance
- Insurance for Car Damaged Due to Natural Disaster
- Insurance for SUV Cars
- Factors Affecting Car Insurance Premium in India
- How to Keep Your Car Protected During Winters
- Car Stolen? You Deserve Insurance As Much As Anyone
- Top Seven Car Checklist before Long Drive
- How to Claim for Accidents Occurred in the Middle of Vehicle Ownership Change
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017