ICICI Lombard GIC Ltd. is a joint venture between ICICI Bank Limited, India's second largest bank with total assets of over USD 99 billion at March 31, 2014 and Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited, a Canada based USD 37 billion diversified financial services company engaged in general insurance, reinsurance, insurance claims management and investment management.
Key Benefits of ICICI lombard Car Insurance
Cashless Claim Networks
Cashless claim service over 3100+ authorized network of garages across India
A further discount on the premium is available if you opt for a Voluntary Excess in addition to the Compulsory Excess. (Compulsory Excess is the amount of loss which the insured has to bear in each and every claim.)
Accidental Cover /Customer Support
Accidental cover facility for co-passengers up-to Rs. 2 Lac
Add-on Covers for ICICI lombard Car Insurance
Avail coverage on replaced parts with zero deduction for depreciation.
Third Party Cover
Third Party Legal Liability Protection against legal liability due to accidental damages resulting in the permanent injury or death of a person, and damage caused to the surrounding property.
Personal Accident Cover
Personal Accident Cover Coverage of Rs 1 Lakh for the individual owner/driver of the vehicle while driving or travelling, Accidental cover facility for co-passengers up-to Rs. 2 Lac
Inclusion & Exclusion in ICICI lombard Car Insurance
Loss or Damage to your vehicle against Man-made Calamities like Burglary, theft and any damage in transit by road, rail, inland waterway, lift, elevator or air.
Loss/ damage due to war, mutiny or nuclear risk
About ICICI Lombard Car Insurance
ICICI Lombard Car Insurance is one of India’s most recognizable and rewarded car insurance undertakings. A subset of ICICI Lombard GIC Ltd, this car insurance initiative is laced with a number of customer centric features and is highly scalable, cost-effective and in line with the customer’ expectations and limitations. The principal features of this insurance plan include expert 24x7 customer support, road-side assistance, cashless claims at 3100+ network garages, option to purchase policy online etc.
ICICI Lombard GIC Ltd. is a joint venture between ICICI Bank Limited, India’s second largest bank and Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited, a USD 37 billion Canadian financial services company. Aside from its usual adherence to quality and professional dealings, the company is also aware of its corporate social responsibility and actively lends its hand to concerns that affect the average Indian vehicle owner. In this regard, ICICI Lombard’s road safety campaigns, inclusive of its ‘Belt Up India’ mobile app and promotional videos that advocate road safety and specifically target kids, have been highly appreciated. All in all, ICICI Lombard Car Insurance goes beyond its tagline and delivers more at multiple levels.
Why Choose ICICI Lombard Car Insurance ?
The ICICI Lombard Car Insurance policy is loaded with helpful features and thoughtful benefits that will appeal to the most discerning customer. The various perks of subscribing to the ICICI Lombard Car Insurance Policy are as follows-
- Purchase online withimmediate policy issuance.
- Availcashless servicing at 3100+ network garagesacross India.
- Garage Cash Cover- Daily allowance for the times when your car is parked in the garage as part of a scheduled or unplanned servicing routine.
- No Claim Bonus (NCB)- Applies if you haven’t raised a claim through the duration before the current renewal. Also applies if you have migrated your policy from another insurance provider to ICICI Lombard car insurance.
- Roadside Assistance Cover- Quick and convenient roadside support, when your vehicle suffers an unexpected malfunction, is just a phone-call away.
- Zero Depreciation Cover- Avail complete coverage on replaced auto parts with zero deduction for depreciation that results from the natural wear and tear endured by the vehicle over a period of time.
- Discounts on Renewal- 5% discount for specific Automobile Association Members, 2.5% discount on Automobile Research Association of India (ARAI) approved anti-theft devices.
- Accident Cover- Applies to the co-passengers to the tune of Rs.2 lakhs, also coverage against third party liabilities.
- ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance also offers Voluntary deductible(wherein you pay a specific part of the claim and ICICI Lombard takes care of the rest, less premiums),doorstep Surveyor Facility, reminders to help you remember policy renewal dates and towing assistance in case of vehicle breakdown or accidents.
Key Highlights & Features of ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance
- Buy Policy Instantly: Simple online option to buy or renew policy immediately. No paperwork or waiting period.
- Wide Network of Garages:Avail cashless claim at over 3100+ certified garages across India.
- Win Big: A No Claim Bonus (NCB) will be awarded to you if you run through the whole policy period without staking a single claim.
- Relocate conveniently: Transfer all the benefits of your accumulated NCB when shifting from ICICI Lombard to another motor insurance company.
- Constantly with you: In the case of an accident, we are just a phone call away. Our Road Side Assistance cover help you get the proper assistance, anytime, anywhere. Always be in the loop with our free renewal reminder service. Also, it’s as easy as child’s play to check the status of your claim, online.
- Additional Perks:We cover as much as Rs.1500 in towing charges. With the add-on Garage Cash Cover, earn daily conveyance allowance (as much as Rs.500) when your car is in the garage.
Add-On Cover with ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance
The ICICI Lombard Car Insurance Policy offers a host of add-on covers that enhance your protection level and reduce your applicable liabilities. These add-on covers are listed below-
- Zero Depreciation- Normally, any insurance payout in response to a claim will deduct a specific amount from the claim amount citing depreciation, or the natural wear and tear of the damaged parts due to aging. This aptly named cover saves you from such deductions.
- Roadside Assistance- A very handy option, this cover helps you through those nagging breakdowns or unfortunate accidents that are likely to affect your vehicle on the road. Roadside assistance can be sought for a maximum of 4 times in a policy year and accounts for such issues as towing, supply of fuel, flat tyres, battery issues, replacement of keys etc.
- Consumables- Accounts for the procurement of consumables that are used in your vehicle and needs replacing after an accident. Consumables include nuts, bolts, grease, lubricants, brake fluid etc.
- Return to Invoice- This ICICI Lombard Car Insurance add-on pays the difference between the Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) and the actual purchase value (as listed on the invoice) of the vehicle, in the case of a total loss or constructive total loss (liability is greater than 75% of the vehicle’s IDV).
- Engine Protect Plus- This covers takes care of the expenses incurred in the repair of the engine, gearbox or differential parts that may occur due to such conditions as the leakage of lubricating oils, water ingression etc, conditions that aren’t usually covered by the primary policy.
- Garage Cash- Daily allowance for the times when your car is parked in the garage for an extended duration of time as part of a scheduled or unplanned servicing routine. Coverage also extends to a lump-sum amount in case of a total loss or a constructive total loss.
- Loss of Personal Belongings- Accounts for the loss of your personal belongings that were in the car, and were deemed damaged or lost due to an accident or theft respectively. To avail the claim amount, a police FIR detailing the loss or theft is necessary as well as Rs.500 will be deducted from your end.
- Key Protect- This ICICI Lombard Car Insurance add-on takes care of the expenses incurred in the repair or replacement of car keys and locks or related mechanisms that are part of the insured vehicle.
What is ICICI Lombard Third Party Liability Motor Insurance Cover?
As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory for every vehicle owner to take third party liability insurance. The act lays down the rule that if there is any damage or loss caused to any third party (person or property) by the insured vehicle, the insurance company must compensate them for the damage. The ICICI Lombard Third Party Motor Insurance is designed with the following features to provide the maximum protection.
- This third party liability cover provides protection against any legal liability which may arise due to an unforeseen event and may result in permanent injury / death of a third person or loss to property.
- The ICICI Lombard Third Party Motor Insurance provides a maximum cover of Rs 7.5 lakhs in case of damage to property. In case the accident results in the injury or death of the third person, the policy provides cover for an unlimited amount of liability.
- You must remember that the third party liability cover does not reimburse the expenses borne by you for the repair or maintenance of your vehicle.
A vehicle is like an investment which must be cared for. Choose ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance and rest assured that you will get nothing but the best all-round protection for your car.
Key Benefits of Applying ICICI Lombard Car Insurance Online
The principal advantages of purchasing the ICICI Lombard Car Insurance online are listed below-
- Hassle Free Process- At the onset, buying or renewing the ICICI Lombard Car Insurance policy online saves time, human effort and the accompanying inputs of money and your fragile patience. Plus, there are no documents to submit or spot- verifications when the policy is purchased online. Hence, in a matter of a few steps, you will be covered by a comprehensive car insurance policy from ICICI Lombard.
- 24x7 Coverage- Online purchase of the ICICI Car Insurance policy allows you to seamlessly transition from your expiring policy to the protective embrace of its capable extension or replacement. The instantaneous policy issue comes with e-copies that can be accessed anytime and printed out.
- 24x7 Support- Procurement or renewal of ICICI Lombard Car Insurance online is accompanied by the company’s brand of superior customer support, applicable 24x7, 365 days a year.
What does ICICI Lombard Car Insurance policy cover? (Terms & Conditions - What does the policy cover?)
- Loss or Damage to your Vehicle: The policy covers the loss or damage endured by your vehicle due to the following reasons.
- Natural Mishaps: Fire, explosion, self-ignition or lightning, earthquake, flood, typhoon, hurricane, storm, tempest, inundation, cyclone, hailstorm, frost, landslide, rockslide.
- Man-made: Burglary, theft, riot, strike, malicious act, accident by external means, terrorist activity, any damage in transit by road, rail, inland waterway, lift, elevator or air, etc.
- Personal Accident Cover: As part of the overall motor insurance, ICICI Lombard provides personal accident cover in the event of your unfortunate accident while driving. This accident cover can also be extended to passengers, whose number equals the maximum permissible occupancy in the vehicle.
- Third Party Legal Liability: The policy also provides for scenarios wherein your vehicle might have been the cause of/ been part of an accident that resulted in the injury, disability or death of an individual (not directly related to you) or caused damages to a third party property.
- Additional Covers: Herein, additional protection can be purchased for electrical/non- electrical accessories including fog lights, stereo system, mats and seat cover etc. Implementation of bi-fuel injection systems, such as for CNG, can also be covered.
Exclusions - Incidents that aren’t covered by the Policy
- General and natural ageing that results in wear and tear.
- Damage caused to vehicle when the driver wasn’t carrying a driver’s license, and/or driving under the influence of alcohol or other mood/mind stimulating substances.
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Damage to vehicle by war, mutiny or nuclear attacks.
- Depreciation in line with the market scenarios and other external conditions.
- Loss of the vehicle or damage incurred that can be sufficiently proven to be deliberate or consequential. Any contractual liabilities are also excluded from the scope of the policy.
Attractive Discounts That Can Reduce Your Cost of Insurance
ICICI Car Insurance Policy offers a range of discounts that help save your money where premiums and renewals are concerned. The popular applicable discounts are as follows-
- No Claim Bonus (NCB)- If you do not raise a claim through a policy year, you are eligible for the No Claim Bonus (NCB). Also, this NCB can be adjusted against your renewal premium in accordance with the applicable ‘No Claim Discount Scale’.
- Anti-Theft Devices- Including approved anti-theft devices in your vehicle qualifies you for a discount upon renewal.
- Automobile Associations- Being part of a recognized Automobile Association qualifies you for a discount upon policy renewal.
- Handicap Discount- If the vehicle is custom made or redesigned to suit a handicapped person, then a discount of 50% on the own damage premium will be allocated to the insured.
- Voluntary Deductions- Herein, you have the choice to contribute first for the agreed settlement for any claim that has arisen due to an accident. Anything beyond this sum of money will be furnished by ICICI Lombard, upto the sum insured or the claim amount, whichever is lower. Voluntary deductions help save substantially on premiums and renewals.
- Third Party Property Damage (TPPD)- A discount of Rs.100 applies if you are willing to bear any liability that exceeds Rs.6000 in situations wherein your vehicle is involved in an accident that is the cause for TPPD. Any amount exceeding Rs.6000 will be furnished by ICICI Lombard Car Insurance.
Sum Insured with ICICI Lombard Car Insurance
Every insured car has a fixed value determined to it. The vehicle is assigned with a fixed sum, which is provided in case of any loss, accident or damage to it (as per the conditions of the coverage policy). This fixed sum or value is known as the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the car.How is the IDV, of an insured car determined?
- First, the total of the insured car’s selling price (as listed by the manufacturer) and the listed price of accessories is calculated.
- From this sum the car’s depreciation value for every year (depending on the schedule provided by the Indian Motor Tariff) is deducted.
- The final figure arrived at is the Insured Declared Value (IDV).
In case the manufacturer’s listed selling price isn’t inclusive of any electronic/electrical item installed in the car, then the actual value of this item (post depreciation) can be added to the sum insured. This can be done over and above the IDV.
For instance, some cars, on permission from the concerned RTO, are fitted with a bi-fuel system like CNG/LPG and Petro/Diesel. The CNG/LPG kit fitting needs to be insured at an additional premium of 4% (on the value of such a kit). These need to be specifically declared in the proposal form
How To Claim ICICI Lombard Car Insurance in 4 easy steps
Raising a claim on your ICICI Lombard Car Insurance Policy is a simple 4 step process as listed below,
- Notify the Loss to ICICI Lombard- You can do this by any of the two methods as marked below,
- SMS ‘CLAIM’ to 575758. ICICI Lombard’s customer service representative will get back to you in 30 minutes and ascertain the circumstances surrounding the accident or theft. You will be given a claim number and directed to an appropriate garage.
- Call ICICI Lombard . You will be issued a claim number and directed to an appropriate garage.
When you are making a ICICI Lombard Car Insurance Claim after a car accident or after theft of your car, you may be expecting to cover your medical bills, damages, and other costs, using the money that would come in from the claim. But before that, you have to register your claim with the company, as well as provide the required documents. If you submit all the required documents, chances of your insurance claim being approved, is high.
Documents Required To Claim ICICI Lombard Motor InsuranceFor accident claims
- Duly signed claim form
- Original Estimate
- Vehicle’s RC copy
- FIR on a case-to-case basis
- Copy of Driving License
- First two pages of the Policy copy
- Original Repair Invoice and Payment Receipt. In case of cashless garage service, only repair invoice is required.
- If it is a company registered vehicle company stamp is required.
- In the event of theft of a vehicle, customers must immediately call the call-center and register the claim without further delay.
- Duly signed claim form
- Vehicle’s RC copy with all original keys
- Duly signed RTO Transfer Papers along with Form 28, 29, 30 and Form 35.
- Copy of Driving License
- Copy of the Policy
- Original FIR copy
- Form 29 & 30 are needed in duplicate and Form 28 is needed in triplicate.
- Final no trace report from the police saying that the vehicle cannot be located.
- Duly signed claim form
- Copy of Police FIR
- Copy of Driving License
- Copy of Policy
- Copy of the vehicle’s RC
ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance brings the dual advantage of convenience and comprehensive protection with a host of additional perks. For the busy Indian, this policy presents all the protection and additional benefits that could be expected from a world class private car insurance. Why wait? Apply TODAY!
FAQs – ICICI Lombard Car Insurance
- Can I renew my ICICI Lombard car insurance online?
Certainly. Please login to your policy page and check the expiry date of your current vehicle insurance. You need to renew at least 60 days before the termination date. If your insurance plan has already crossed the said date, request for an authorized ICICI Lombard inspector to come down and inspect your vehicle before the issuance of renewed insurance. The official might also need to verify the necessary documents which you submitted in the beginning.
- Is my No Claim Bonus (NCB) exchangeable or transferable?
[No Claim Bonus or NCB is a considerable rebate in premium offered by most insurance providers if you have been a good driver and haven’t made any claim during a specific duration through the tenure of your policy.]
Yes. Whether you are an existing client of ICICI Lombard motor insurance or would like to change or switch to ICICI Lombard from another insurance provider, you can definitely transfer the NCB you have accumulated from the former company to the new policy within 3 months and vice versa.
- What are the advantages of purchasing vehicle insurance online from ICICI Lombard Car Insurance?
Apart from hassle-free procedures and getting the policy instantly, online purchase of vehicle insurance has added benefits. You escape the stringent documentation. You also get to pick a convenient payment option (Net banking, Debit/Credit card etc). You also get to know about new offers and benefits.
- How do I file for my claim?
Though emergencies leave little room for technicalities and rationality, you have to file for your claim at the earliest. Get in touch with the nearest ICICI Lombard branch by dialing the toll-free helpline number 1800 2666. An official will guide you on registration, which will get you a claim/reference number. Registering your claim online with the ICICI Lombard ‘Lodge A Motor Claim Service’ is even easier though currently this service is only provided for accidental injury claims.
- What are deductibles and how can I know the deductible relevant to cars?
Deductible is part of the total damage cost that you are supposed to bear in the event of a claim. This is deducted from the total sum. ICICI Lombard vehicle insurance policy has an Obligatory Deductible of INR 1,000 (for cars that don’t exceed 1500 cc) or INR 2,000 (for those beyond 1500 cc).
- ICICI Credit Card
- ICICI Recurring Deposit Interest Rates
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
- ICICI Lombard Health Insurance
- ICICI Personal Loan
- ICICI Home Loan
- ICICI Car Loan
- ICICI Car Loan Interest Rates
- ICICI Car Loan Eligibility Calculator
- ICICI Bank IFSC Code
- ICICI Bank Debit Card
- ICICI Lombard Two Wheeler Insurance
- ICICI lombard Home Insurance
- ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance
- ICICI Bank Savings Account
- ICICI Bank Used Car Loan
- ICICI Fixed Deposit Rates
- ICICI Bank Personal Loan Interest Rates
- ICICI Bank Personal Loan Eligibility
- ICICI Two Wheeler Loan
News About ICICI Lombard Car Insurance
According to a survey, Generation Y is more knowledgeable about Car Insurance than ever before
According to a survey of 1,073 millennials, it has been revealed that a good percentage of them have taken own damage (OD) as well as third party (TP) insurance policies. This survey was conducted by ICICI Lombard General Insurance in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata and Delhi. The insurance was taken for two wheelers and cars.
76%of those surveyed were conscious of car insurance policies, only 41% have ever availed it. 78% of those surveyed knew of third party motor insurance and 23% have availed it at some point. In the case of bike insurance, 80% of those surveyed knew of bike insurance policy and 38% have availed it at some point.
5th February 2016
Drop Predicted In Auto Insurance Premiums With Odd-Even Rule
The odd-even traffic rule recently put into effect in the nation’s capital could have more than one positive outcomes. With vehicles running for only half the number of days, insurance providers predict the risk factor to go down as well, which in turn makes for a very strong case of lowering motor insurance premiums. Insurance providers are of the opinion that premiums could go down based on the claims data. A senior official with ICICI Lombard General Insurance opines that with usage of vehicles coming down nearly by half, the risks involved will for insurers as well as vehicle owners will also drop substantially. Car insurance premiums are determined by a range of factors like the vehicle’s manufacturer, vehicle’s age, engine capacity, the city it is registered in and also the driver / owner’s driving history to a large extent. The motor insurance premiums are likely to be reduced over a period of time, once the data following the implementation of the law is evaluated. However, expert are not ruling out the risks like over speeding as there will be a lesser number of vehicles plying on the roads. ICICI Lombard is one of India’s leading insurance provider which provides some of the most popular comprehensive motor car insurance policies.
21st January 2016
ICICI Lombard strives towards quick settlement of Car Insurance Claims
General insurance claims will possibly get settled quickly as the ombudsman has increased the claims limit for employing outside surveyors to INR 50,000 for car insurance and INR one lakh for other kinds of insurance. Now they will only use internal surveyor teams. The previous limit was INR 20,000 for every claims. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) assured that it will revise this every third year. Mr. Sanjay Datta, Chief, Underwriting, ICICI Lombard, stressed on the positive fact that insurance providers can now choose if they would like to avail the services of an external surveyor, based on the complication of the case. He said, particularly during natural catastrophes, insurance carriers can pay out claims swiftly without waiting for the statements sent by external surveyors. Not that external surveyors don’t serve any purpose. The rationale behind having them is that they have a neutral stance in the interest of clients.
9th November 2015
Likes of ICICI Lombard escalate car insurance premium due to frequent claims
Larger or recurrent car insurance claims can lead to increased premiums for the customers. There are a few pointers here that can help bring down premiums. It is quite normal in the US and the UK to disburse more premiums for auto insurance in the subsequent year after a huge claim is filed or after numerous claims. This happens in our country as well. ICICI is one insurance provider that has been quite vocal in this regard.
According to CEO of BankBazaar.com, a premier finance comparison website, this makes sense whether the accident occurred due to your fault or not. Premiums is expected to shoot up regardless of whether you file a claim under third party or own-damage cover to reduce the uncomplimentary impact on the insurance carrier’s vehicle insurance portfolio. Repeated mishaps and claims give you less marks in risk assessment done by the firm and hence the hike.
29th October 2015
Exploiting Low Penetration Areas Key for Growth- ICICI Lombard GIC
In a recent interview, Mr. Sanjay Datta, Chief, Underwriting, Reinsurance & Claim, ICICI Lombard GIC Ltd. stressed on the need to exploit the current low penetration levels of insurance products such as life, home and car insurance across India in order to spell consistent growth for this sector. He asserted that while upfront, the low penetration levels might seem discouraging- the insurers must treat this as an opportunity for growth. Mr. Dutta was of the opinion that the Indian government and the IRDAI are in favor of the strategic expansion of the general insurance sector as can be gauged from such innovative steps as the relaxation of FDI, introduction of unique segments and favoring more customer friendly regulations. While the sector grew at a brisk rate in the last 5 years, the future looks even more promising.
19th August 2015
‘Water Damaging Engine’?- ICICI Lombard Survey Claims Mumbaikars Clueless
In a finding that is sure to give many car insurance companies the jitters, only 13% of motorists in Mumbai know the adverse effects of flood waters on their car engine. This fact was disclosed by a survey that was conducted across four major Indian metropolitan cities- Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Bengaluru, by ICICI Lombard General Insurance company. The company conducted this survey to find out the attitude of Indian drivers towards the monsoon and the driving conditions created by it. This information will be utilised to create robust awareness programmes for Indian vehicle owners on safe driving through the monsoon season. The majority (56%) of the people participating in the survey belonged to the 22-35 age group.
31st July 2015
‘Photo Quote’ feature from ICICI Lombard to ease application process for motor insurance
The ‘Photo Quote’ feature introduced by ICICI Lombard on its mobile app allows you to get a quote for insurance by providing a picture of your current motor insurance policy. This process allows easy application process and avoids filling up of lengthy forms.
The customer would get an automated message from ICICI Lombard after the submission of the picture. The message would contain vehicle and customer information along with the detailed quote. Since all the information is pre-populated, the customer only has to pay the quoted amount. According to Sanjeev S, ICICI Lombard Head (e-channel and marketing), the ‘Photo Quote’ feature is designed to provide quick service to the customers. This would also allow customers to experience unparalleled service in an age dominated by smartphones.
8th July 2015
Heed Car Recall Requests or Lose Third Party Insurance, Says ICICI Lombard
Usually, car manufacturers recall their vehicles to address an ingrained problem whose magnitude could range from major engine overhauls to changing some screws. In the latter case, many car owners choose to ignore the request considering the ‘inconsequential’ nature of the update. However, Sanjay Datta, chief - underwriting, reinsurance and claims at ICICI Lombard General Insurance, says that such a decision could greatly impact your third party liability insurance. Motor Insurance companies have the right to reject claims associated with vehicles that haven’t heeded a recall request. Thus, in the case of a third party claim, and taking into consideration the fact that the offending vehicle had originally ignored a recall, the insurer can potentially deny the claim or ask the customer for a part-payment. Hence, better to pay attention to such recall requests than blame the car insurance company at a later date.
26th May 2015
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Reports People Prefer Purchasing Motor Insurance Online
A report submitted jointly by ICICI Lombard General Insurance and Google India indicates that more people are now purchasing Motor Insurance and other non-life insurance products online. In fact, a survey of 3,007 people found that 24 percent of the people preferred purchasing Motor Insurance products online. This report also indicates that the percentage of people purchasing non-life insurance products like motor insurance online will increase further in the coming years.
The chief of underwriting and claims at ICICI Lombard General Insurance, Sanjay Datta, commented that those customers who looked for information about insurance products online were more long-term oriented and evolved. The report further suggests that consumers search for insurance related information both on mobile devices and desktops.
8th May 2015
Third Party Motor Insurance, ICICI Bank Explains the Nitty-Gritty
When it comes to third party insurance, almost 50% of the cars plying on Indian roads have no clue. This is because, they either don’t have the mandatory all-inclusive car insurance, or the stand-alone, yet compulsory, third party motor insurance. Adding to the problem are the misconceptions ruling the roost when it comes to this vital cover. For example, Sanjay Datta, Chief – Underwriting & Claims, ICICI Lombard says that many applicants prefer to cover for damages to one’s own vehicle from another party’s policy. Sanjay adds that these arrangements are known aptly as ‘knock-for-knock’ agreements and isn’t looked upon kindly by insurance companies. Third party motor insurance must only be accessed for bodily injury, loss of life or damage to property, though the former isn’t explicitly barred by any rules or regulations. Again, unlimited compensation is available only for bodily injury or loss of life. When the liability is limited to just damaged property, the insurer is expected to pay a maximum of only Rs.7.5 lakhs. The rest of the liability must be borne by the owner of the vehicle.
26th April 2015