HDFC ERGO Auto Insurance or Motor Insurance policy is an insurance policy offered by HDFC ERGO, one of India’s leading general insurance firms. HDFC ERGO is a joint venture (51:49) between the Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC), a premier housing finance institution and ERGO International AG, an insurance provider, which is a part of the Munich Re Group of Germany.
The auto/motor insurance policy from HDFC ERGO offers protection to vehicles by covering the costs of damage to the vehicle in case of theft, accidents, and natural calamities. In India, it is mandatory to have Vehicle Insurance, but this should not be the only reason for you to have one. There are many benefits of having motor insurance and we have listed them for you below.
Why do you need motor insurance?
- A motor insurance policy will take care of the financial liabilities that you may have in the event of your vehicle facing any unforeseen mishaps such as theft, accidents, damages due to fire, riots, floods, cyclones, etc.
- Damages caused to another person’s vehicle will also be covered under motor insurance.
- Injuries caused to the people travelling in the vehicle are also covered under motor insurance.
- The owner or the driver of the vehicle will also be covered under the personal accident cover of a motor insurance policy.
- Many motor insurance policies also provide additional roadside assistance in cases of a car breakdown, emergency fuel, flat tire, lockout due to loss of keys, etc.
The above-mentioned coverage offered by motor insurance makes it a good investment that can come in handy when your vehicle meets with an unfortunate mishap.
Types of Auto/Motor Insurance offered by HDFC Ergo:
HDFC ERGO offers motor insurance policies of three types -
- Private Car Insurance
- Two-wheeler Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Private Car Insurance – This policy offers a comprehensive cover for your vehicle which includes coverage for damages caused to the vehicle due to accidents, burglary, fire, riots, transit by rail/road/lift/inland waterway, natural calamities such as flood, earthquake, landslide, etc. The policy also offers personal accident cover for the car’s registered owner. There is also an option of purchasing a personal accident cover for paid drivers and passengers. Another coverage offered under the private car insurance is the legal liability that may arise out of the car’s use for accidental injury or death of any third party and any damage caused to a third party’s property.
Two-wheeler Insurance - This insurance policy by HDFC ERGO is meant for comprehensive coverage of your two-wheeler against damages, accidents, theft, etc. Two types of insurance policies are offered by HDFC ERGO for two-wheelers. One is the ‘Two Wheeler Comprehensive Insurance’ and the other is the ‘Two-wheeler liability only-Multiyear policy’. Both these policies offer complete protection for your bike against probable threats of accidental damage and third-party liabilities.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance - This insurance policy ensures complete protection of various vehicles meant for commercial purposes such as goods carriers, passenger carrying vehicles, trailers, special kinds of vehicles like shovels, rig, grabs, excavators, tractors, etc. The commercial vehicle insurance policy by HDFC ERGO offers specialised, custom-made features to cater to specific business requirements.
Why you should opt for HDFC ERGO Auto/Motor Insurance:
- Transparent claim settlement process – Utmost transparency is practised during the settlement of claims to ensure that the entire process is conducted fairly.
- Round-the-clock support – The helpline numbers of HDFC ERGO offer 24/7 assistance to customers so that their queries and issues are resolved immediately.
- Swift approval of claims – The claims are settled swiftly, usually within 24 hours of the vehicle arriving at the garage.
- Convenience of purchase – The auto/motor insurance policy from HDFC ERGO can be purchased online without the need to visit the branch office. This offers a lot of convenience to customers who do not have the time to visit the nearest branch.
- Trusted by lakhs of customers – HDFC ERGO boasts of making over 75 lakh customers happy by offering them exemplary insurance services. ICRA has rated the insurer iAAA which is an indication of its high ability to fulfil the claims raised.
Coverage offered by HDFC ERGO Auto/Motor Insurance:
The auto/motor insurance offered by HDFC provides coverage for the following:
- Any damage caused to the vehicle as a result of – a) accidents b) explosion, fire, lighting, self-ignition c) theft, burglary d) transit by rail, road, lift, inland waterway e) strike, terrorism, riots, malicious acts f) storm, earthquake, flood, landslide.
- Personal accident – If the driver of the vehicle, who is also the registered owner of the vehicle is involved in an accident and is injured, HDFC ERGO will offer coverage for the medical expenses incurred. Occupants of the car can also be offered coverage on payment of an additional premium.
- Legal liabilities involving a third party – HDFC ERGO will offer coverage for any legal liabilities associated with the accidental injury or death caused to any third party. Under this, any damage caused to the property of a third-party individual will also be covered.
What is not covered under the HDFC ERGO Auto/Motor Insurance?
The HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance does not offer coverage for the following:
- Electric or mechanical breakdown/failure of the vehicle
- Wear and tear of the vehicle
- Damage done by a driver who does not hold a valid license
- Loss/damage caused by acts of war, nuclear risks, and mutiny
- Damage done by a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Damage to tubes and tyres unless caused during an accident
- Damage or loss of the vehicle caused outside the country
- Damage or loss of the accessories of the vehicle due to burglary or theft except in cases where the vehicle was stolen at the same time (applies to two-wheelers and commercial vehicles)
- Hire and reward usage
How to file a claim with HDFC ERGO Auto/Motor Insurance
If the insured vehicle suffers damage due to an accident, the customer needs to call the toll-free customer care of HDFC ERGO at 1800-2-700-700, provide the policy number, and make a registration for the claim. Please note that the toll-free number is accessible only within India.
Alternatively, customers can register a claim online on the website of IPO or mobile application of IPO. The user will need to input his/her personal details, link their policy, and click on the ‘Claims’ tab. Once they click on the tab, the claim will be registered.
While making an intimation of the claim users should keep the below-mentioned details handy:
- Policy number
- Details of the driver at the time of the accident which will include the driving license number
- Copy of RC or registration details
- Estimate of the repair charges
- Copy of the FIR (depending on the case)
Claim process of HDFC ERGO Auto/Motor Insurance
- If the vehicle is in a condition to be driven, the policyholder should drive it to the nearest garage or dealer.
- Once there, the customer needs to get the estimate of the repair and attach the registration certificate copy to the filled-up claim form.
- A copy of the driving license of the individual driving the vehicle during the time of accident should also be attached to the claim form.
- Cashless claim facility can be availed by the policyholder if the garage falls within the network of HDFC ERGO.
- The policyholder, however, has to bear the expenses for the repairs that are unrelated to the accident, deductible, and depreciation. The rest of the expenses will be taken care of by HDFC ERGO.
- In cases where the garage is out of the network of HDFC ERGO, the policyholder can pay for the expenses from his/her pocket and later get it reimbursed.
Documents required to make claims for accidental damage to insured vehicle
- Claim form duly filled and signed
- Registration Certificate
- Satisfaction voucher
- Original copies of repair estimate, policy copy, and repair invoice
- Driving license of the person driving during the accident
- For cashless claims, original repair invoice needs to be provided
- For non-cashless claims, payment receipt should be provided
- For amounts over Rs.1 lakh, a copy of the PAN card, residence proof, and 2 passport size photographs of the vehicle owner
- For cases of total loss, original NOC (No Objection Certificate) and Form 35 should be provided
- For third-party injuries/death/damage to property, a copy of Panchnama or FIR is required
The same set of documents are required to make claims in case of commercial vehicles in addition to route permit, load challan, spot survey, and fitness certificate.
Documents required to make claims for loss due to theft
- Claim form duly filled and signed (post loss settlement)
- Original copy of the policy
- Registration Certificate (original)
- FIR copy lodged at the nearest police station
- No trace report which will be a confirmation that the vehicle is untraceable
- Original keys and a copy of the vehicle invoice
- In the case of hypothecation, original of the NOC issued by the financer
- The theft of the vehicle should be reported to the RTO
- RTO transfer papers duly signed (form 26, 28, 29, 30, and 35)
- Extract of the RC bearing the stolen remark from the concerned RTO
- Subrogation cum indemnity deed on a judicial stamp paper
- For amounts over Rs.1 lakh, a copy of the PAN card, residence proof and 2 passport size photographs of the vehicle owner need to be submitted.
How to renew the motor insurance policy by HDFC ERGO
The renewal of the HDFC ERGO motor insurance policy can be done in any one of the following ways:
- Visiting the official website of HDFC ERGO at www.hdfcergo.com.
- Sending the SMS “RENEW
“ to 9999700700
- Walk in to the nearest branch of HDFC ERGO
- Through an insurance agent
- Call the toll-free number at 1800 2 700 700
- Sending the renewal notice copy along with the premium cheque to the corporate office or branch office of HDFC ERGO.