Ajanta Pharma Limited is a pharmaceutical company that is engaged in producing a wide range of speciality products. In India, they cater to segments such as ophthalmology, pain management, dermatology, and cardiology.Market Capitalisation
The market capitalisation of Ajanta Pharma Limited, as of July 24 2018, is a little over Rs.9,223.58 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- In the first quarter (From April to June) of the financial year 2017-2018, the company reported a total income of Rs.473 crore from operations. In this quarter, sales in India took a hit by 12% due to destocking, while export markets performed well.
- Other segments that showed healthy growth in June 2017 include cardiology (7% growth), Ophthalmology (10% growth), dermatology (16% growth) and pain management (7% growth).
- In the second quarter (From July to September) of the financial year 2017 - 2018, the total income gained from operations stood at Rs.540 crore, a 5% increase from the previous year’s quarter.
- For the first half of the fiscal year, the total income from operations was Rs.1,014 crore. Overall, the performance was ‘satisfactory’ during this period and the company managed to recover after the GST reform.
- In the third quarter (From October to December) of the financial year 2017-2018, the total income from operations was Rs.587 crore. The total sales grew and there was a healthy growth in emerging markets.
- In the fourth quarter (From January to March) of the financial year 2017-2018, the total income from operations was Rs.530 crore.
- For the year ended 2018, the total income from operations was Rs.2,131 crore. When compared to the previous financial year, which generated an income of Rs.2,002 crore, this is an increase in growth by 6% from the last FY.
Ajanta Pharma Limited Stock Trends in 2018
- On January 1 2018, the price per share on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was Rs.1,498.40. Throughout the month, there were minor fluctuations in price.
- The price on January 22 stood at Rs.1,561 and went on to see a slight increase on January 25, when the price reached Rs.1,572. This incline could be attributed to the release of financial data by the company.
- On February 6, there was a ‘Sell’ call from experts when the price stood at Rs.1,278.85. While on February 8, when the price inclined to Rs.1,339, many experts were making recommendations to buy the stock, predicting that it will make a movement. The price went on to increase, reaching Rs.1,436.30 in February.
- Throughout March, the price of the stock remained steady and saw only minor variations. The price varied from more than Rs.1,300 to around Rs.1,425 during this month.
- In April, there very not many fluctuations in the price of the stock, while in May, there was a steep fall on the 24th when the price dropped to Rs.994.20. This could be because most domestic shares opened on a negative note the day before.
- On June 6, the price further went down to Rs.914.75 per share as many stocks hit 52-week lows on the NSE during this period.
- On June 15, the price went up again to Rs.1,057. However, prices further went down towards the end of the month as midcaps underperformed, reaching Rs.983.80 on June 28.
- On July 2, the price of the stock was Rs.988.40 and following investor complaints, the price went down to Rs.952 on July 17.
- As of July 25, the stock price stands at Rs.1,038.85.
Ajanta Pharma Limited Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The prices of Ajanta Pharma shares stood quite low during the beginning of 2016, influenced by dividend payments and other market factors. On January 4 2016, the price of the scrip was Rs.1,338.80, slipping to Rs.1,150 on January 20.
- With favourable conditions, the price of the stock went up to Rs.2,075 by the end of September 2016. There was a minor slip in the following month and the price went down to Rs.1,720 by November 16 due to dividend payments.
- There was a gradual upward trend, including outlook in the price trends seen from January to October in 2016. The year closed at Rs.1,751 on December 30, 2016.
- In 2017, the year began on an upward trend with a steady price till June, after which the price dropped till October.
- On March 23 2017, the price stood at an inclined Rs.1,838 and on August 21, the price of the share fell to Rs.1,213.50 due to a fall in profit margins.
- On November 20 2017, the price stood at Rs.1,282 and the year closed with the price of Rs.1,474 on December 29, 2017
Should you invest in Ajanta Pharma Limited?
- Ajanta Pharma Limited is the third largest player in the field of Ophthalmology in India and one among the ‘Top 200’ pharmaceutical brands in the country.
- Ajanta has a global presence in countries like the USA, Africa, and Asia, and also has a highly-skilled Research and Development Team with more than 850 scientists. They continue to invest in R&D and are enhancing their manufacturing capabilities.
- In India, the company has made its impact on ‘fast growing’ markets in various specialty therapeutic segments. In 2014, there was a 30% growth in income. Profit margins look promising too. The company has seen steady growth over the years and a good price movement of shares.
- The company has been ahead of its competitors and has carved a name for itself in the therapeutic segment. They have a strong brand portfolio and have managed to overcome the effects of demonetisation.
- They have launched several ‘differentiated products’ and have been successfully catering to the needs of the various emerging markets.
- It is always wise to do some personal research before making a decision on buying the stock. You can also read up some financial reports, before taking the plunge to buy shares.
Ajanta Pharma Limited is a well-reputed pharmaceutical company that goes by the motto - ‘Serve Health Care Needs Worldwide’. The firm deals with branded generics in a wide range of emerging markets. They manufacture ‘speciality products’ catering to customers from various ‘therapeutic segments’ for treating patients. In India, Ajanta caters to various ‘high growth’ pockets in areas such as cardiology, pain management, ophthalmology, and dermatology. Their USP is mainly innovation and the use of cutting-edge technology. Some of the other segments they operate in are respiratory and general health products, paediatric, orthopaedics, gynaecology, anti-diabetic, antimalarial, and anti- biotonic.
History of the Company
In the year 1973, Ajanta began the repacking of generic products. The first manufacturing unit in India was established in 1979 in Chikalthana, while the second unit was set up in 1986 in Paithan. The company went public and got listed in the National Stock Exchange (NSE) and the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in 2000.
Management of the Company
Mr. Mannalal Agrawal - Chairman
Mr. Mannalal Agrawal currently serves as the Chairman of Ajanta Pharma Limited. He comes with over 40 years of experience in taxation and accounting. Apart from this he also takes interest in many of social activities of the company.
Mr. Purushottam Agrawal - Director
Mr. Purushottam Agrawal is the Board of Director at Ajanta Pharma Limited. With an educational background in pharmacy, Agarwal has a little more than 40 years of experience in this sector. He is one among the main driving forces of the many Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
Mr. Madhusudan Agrawal - Vice Chairman
Mr. Madhusudan Agrawal is currently serving as the Vice Chairman of Ajanta Pharma Limited. He comes with more than 3 decades of experience in business development and corporate affairs. He is involved in many philanthropic activities.
Ajanta Pharma Limited Stock Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
Ajanta Pharma Limited equity shares are available for trading on the country’s two major stock markets - the National Stock Exchange of India Limited and the Bombay Stock Exchange. The respective codes for the same are as follows:
- NSE Code: AJANTPHARMEQ
- BSE Code: 532331
- ISIN: INE031B01049
- Sector: Pharmaceuticals
Coming to the stock market indices, Ajanta comprises the following indices:
- Nifty 200
- Nifty 500
- Nifty Full Midcap 100
- Nifty LargeMidcap 250
- Nifty Midcap 100
- Nifty Midcap 150
- Nifty Midcap 50
- Nifty Midcap Liquid 15
- Nifty MidSmallcap 400
- S&P BSE 150 MidCap Index
- S&P BSE 200
- S&P BSE 250 LargeMidCap Index
- S&P BSE 400 MidSmallCap Index
- S&P BSE 500
- S&P BSE AllCap
- S&P BSE Dollex - 200
- S&P BSE Healthcare
- S&P BSE LargeMidCap
- S&P BSE MidCap
- S&P BSE MidSmallCap
Ajanta Pharma Limited
Charkop, Kandvil West, Mumbai 400067
Tel: +91 22 6606 1000
Fax: +91 22 6606 1200
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.