Indraprastha Gas Ltd. (IGL), incorporated in 1998, is a natural gas distribution company in India. The company operates mainly in the National Capital Region (NCR) of New Delhi and took over the Delhi Gas Distribution Project in 1999 from GAIL (India) Ltd. to execute the project of laying the network of natural gas in the NCR. Indraprastha Gas Ltd. went to public in 2003 and listed in the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
The market capitalisation of Indraprastha Gas Ltd., as of 20 August 2018, is a little more than Rs.19,900 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- Indraprastha Gas Ltd. reported a 9% rise in its Q1 FY19 net profit at Rs.175.89 crore compared to Rs.161.26 crore during the same period last year.
- The company’s Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) sales increased by 21% at Rs.1,076 crore, while the revenue from its piped natural gas supplied increased by 34% to Rs.342 crore.
- In terms of volume, the company’s CNG sales were up by 10% to 248 million kgs.
- Other income rose by 46% at Rs.26.24 crore and the total gross sales by value during the quarter witnessed a 24% rise to stand at Rs.1,418 crore.
- Overall, the company’s sales volume grew by 13% during the said quarter as against the corresponding quarter of FY18.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- The stock of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. on the 1st of January 2018 opened at Rs.334.80 and gained 5 points to close at Rs.339.75 and by the end of the month the share lost by as much as 30 points to end at Rs.304.65.
- The company’s stock lost nearly points on the 1st of February to end at Rs.302.90 and rose to touch Rs.307.75 on the 7th before it declined to close the month at Rs.304.70.
- On the 1st of March, Indraprastha Gas Ltd share price gained nearly 3 points to close at Rs.306.15; however, by the end of the month, the stock lost considerably by more than 30 points to close at Rs.279.45.
- The stock remained stable on the 2nd of April to close at Rs.279.35 and touched Rs.303.50 on the 9th and ended the month more than 9 points.
- On the 1st of May, the company’s scrip stood at Rs.287.90 and lost more than 40 points by the 24th to be traded at Rs.252.95 but recovered to end the month at Rs.265.
- The stock price on the 1st of June stood at Rs.265.75 and peaked on the 8th to stand at Rs.279 and dropped to a new low of Rs.242.30 on the 28th; however, it gained by the end of the month to stand at Rs.254.30.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- When the stock market opened for trading on the 1st of January 2016, the share price of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. opened at Rs.106.80 and gained nearly 5 points by the end of the month to close at Rs.111.97. The stock gained nearly 2 points on the 1st of February and dropped significantly to end the month down by more than 10 points. However, on the 1st of March, the stock gained 4 points to close at Rs.106.45 and rose to touch Rs.113.92 on the last day of the month.
- On the 1st of April, the stock lost a point to close for the day at Rs.112.72 and by the end of the month, the share had gained more than 2 points to end at Rs.114.66. When the market opened on 2nd May, the stock had gained 2 points to close the day’s trading at Rs.116.66; however, it lost more than 5 points to end the month at Rs.111.71. In the month of June, the stock opened at Rs.111.80 and gained considerably by nearly 25 points to close at Rs.125.51.
- The company’s stock lost 2 points on the 1st of July to stand at Rs.123.13 but rose over the course of the month to end at Rs.129.67. It remained stable on the 1st of August to be traded at Rs.129.94 and inclined to touch Rs.160.23 on the last day of the month. In September, the share of the company dropped 4 points to stand at Rs.156.83 on the 1st day of trading and closed the month at Rs.155.62.
- In October, the stock opened for trading at Rs.157.25 and gained more than 15 points by the 10th to stand at Rs.173.40 and the by the end of the month, the stock had increased to be traded at Rs.171.37. On the 1st of November, the share’s of the company gained 2 points to close the day’s trading at Rs.173.87 and fluctuated over the course of the month and lost more than 8 points to stand at Rs.165.81. During the month of December, the stock opened at Rs.165.82 and rose to touch Rs.183.65 on the last day of trading for the year.
- On the 1st of January 2017, the company’s stock lost a point to end at Rs.183.87 and remained steady over the course of the month; however, by the end of the month, the share had gained to touch Rs.187.90. The stock gained more than 4 points on the 1st of February to be traded at Rs.192.20 and increased by more than 16 points to end the month at Rs.208.63. On the 1st of March, the stock closed for trading at Rs.210.03 and lost more than 8 points to end the month at Rs.202.99.
- On the 3rd of April, the stock rose by a point and at the end of trading, it stood at Rs.202.93 and by the end of the month it gained nearly 9 points to end at Rs.211.54. During the month of May, the scrip remained stable for the first two weeks before it dropped by nearly 15 points on the 24th; however, it recovered to end the month at Rs.214.87. The stock continued to incline in the month of June and rose to touch Rs.223.35 on the 6th before declining to Rs.211.33 on the last day of the month.
- When the market opened for trading on the 3rd of July, the company’s stock closed at Rs.210.47 and gained significantly to end the month with more than 35 points. On the 1st of August, the scrip price stood at Rs.237.99 and increased to touch Rs.259.13 on the 15th before losing 4 points by the end of the month to stand at Rs.255.12. On the 1st of September, the stock opened for trading at Rs.255.14 and gained considerably by nearly 50 points to close at Rs.303.27 on the 21st and ended the month at Rs.294.38.
- The stock price remained the same on the 1st of October with the scrip closing at Rs.294.38 and gained more than 22 points to the end the month at Rs.317.03. On the 1st of November, the stock lost a point to end at Rs.316.56 and lost more than 17 points to stand at Rs.299.60 on the 16th; however, it recovered to end the month at Rs.326.60. On the 1st of December, the stock lost more than 10 points to end the day at Rs.317.50; however, by the end of the month, the stock had gained more than 15 points to end at Rs.335.80.
Should You Invest in Indraprastha Gas Ltd?
- The company reported a standalone net profit for Q4 FY18 which rose by 31% to stand at Rs.175 crore as against Rs.134 crore in the corresponding quarter of last year. The rise is attributed to the increase in sales of CNG and PNG.
- The turnover of the gas supplier stood at Rs.1,347 crore compared to Rs.1,100 crore during the same period last year.
- Its overall sales volume grew by 11% compared to the same period last fiscal with the sales of CNG growing by 10% and that of PNG at 15%.
- In the company’s recent performance, it has posted a 9% incline in net profit of Rs.175.89 crore compared to Rs.161.26 crore last year.
- IGL’s stock performance has been on the rise in the last two years influenced by the increase in sales of CNG and PNG, its primary revenue generators.
- The management team of the company are well experienced and are capable of taking strategic decisions to steer the firm’s performance.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. is a leading natural gas distribution company and was established in 1998. The company primarily operates in the National Capital Region (NCR), New Delhi. It has supplied piped natural gas (PNG) to more than nine lakh homes, more than 2,000 commercial and over 1,150 industrial establishment in the NCR. The company also operates 425 CNG filling stations.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. was incorporated in 1998 and the company took over Delhi City Gas Distribution Project in 1999 from GAIL (India) Ltd. In 2004, the company unveiled first online CNG station in Delhi and in 2007 it commenced the CNG project activities in Greater Noida and received the approval from the government for city gas distribution in Noida. The company inaugurated Noida’s first mother CNG station in 2009 and began Piped Natural Gas supply.
Management of Indraprastha Gas Ltd.
Mr. S. Ramesh is the Chairman of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. He has been the Chairman of the company since January 2017. He is also serves as the Additional Director of the company since January 2017.
Mr. E.S. Ranganathan is the Managing Director of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. since June 2016. Prior to joining IGL, he was posted as Executive Director(Corporate O&M) in GAIL (India) Ltd. Also, he has been a Consultant to ADB in revamping the Gas Pipeline System in Afghanistan and is a working group member for the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India pipeline project. He is an Instrumentation and Control Engineer and has an MBA in Marketing.
Mr. Rajiv Sikka is the Director (Commercial) of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. since May 2018. He has more than 30 years of experience in the oil and gas sector, skilled in B2B and B2C sales and marketing, business planning, business strategy, team building and operations in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). He has degree in Civil Engineering from HBTI, Kanpur and a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning from the School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. in NSE, BSE and Listings
The equity shares of Indraprastha Gas Ltd. is available for trading on the NSE and BSE and the company’s codes are as follows:
- NSE Code: IGL
- BSE Code: 532514
- BSE Group: A
- ISIN: INE203G01027
- Sector: Oil Drilling and Exploration
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. Stock Indices are as follows:
- S&P CNX 500
- CNX Midcap
Indraprastha Gas Limited
Plot No. 4, Community Centre
Sector 9, R K Puram
New Delhi - 110022
Phone : 91-11-46074607
Fax : 91-11-26171860/26171863/26171921
Indraprastha Gas Limited
F-24/170, Sector 7,
Rohini (near Ayodhya Chowk),
Indraprastha Gas Limited
UG – 37-A, Somdutt Chamber – 1,
Bhikaiji Cama Place,
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.