TV18 Broadcast Ltd belongs to the Network 18 Group. It is one of India’s popular television broadcasting networks with a total of 53 domestic channels across news and entertainment such as CNN-News18, CNBC-TV18, CNBC Awaaz, IBN Lokmat and others.
The market capitalisation of TV18 Broadcast Ltd. as on 31 July 2018 a little over Rs.8,170 crore.
Company Wealth and Recent Performance
- The company’s consolidated operating revenue increased by 11% year-on-year (YoY)at Rs.1,088 crore in Q1 FY 19 as against Rs.979 crore in Q1 FY 18. TV18 Broadcast reported a consolidated operating EBITDA (earnings before income, tax, depreciation and amortisation) of Rs.39 crore in Q1 FY 19, up a whopping 179% as against Rs.14 crore in Q1 FY 18.
- The company’s subscription revenues for all the channels posted an increase of 10% YoY. TV18’s range of news channels emerged as top news networks in India thanks to a surge in the viewership share that was driven from Hindi and regional channels. The news viewership share recorded an increase of 10.3%.
- CNBC TV18 maintained the No.1 rank in the English Business News genre with 66% market share in Q1 FY19. Meanwhile, in case of Hindi Business News genre, CNBC Awaaz continued to lead with 68% of market share. On the other hand, CNN News18 garnered 9.2% market share in all India and is ranked fourth.
- In Q1 FY 19, News18 India had a market share of 11.9% and was amongst the top 4 Hindi news channels in the Hindi-speaking market (HSM). TV18 Broadcast’s entire regional news bouquet had the highest reach and viewership in India. More than 597 million viewers tuned into the
network that resulted in an increase in viewership share by 4.7%.
- Besides news channels, TV 18 expanded into the digital vertical with a new platform on 6 April 2018. Dubbed as expanded CNBC TV18.com, it is a digital counterpart of its flagship business news brand CNBC-TV18 which offers a mix of original curated coverage of news, analysis and trends about the stock market, business and economy.
- TV18 took operational control and increased its stake in Viacom18 to 51% by acquiring 1% equity from JV partner Viacom Inc in FY 2017-18. The company recorded a 16% YoY growth consolidated revenues at Rs.4,813 crore in FY18, as against Rs.4,142 in FY 2016-17. The Q4 FY18 revenue recorded an increase of 41% YoY. It was driven by film revenue and a broad-based recovery in advertising, off a low-base last year.
- The company’s operating EBITDA for FY 2018 and Q4 FY17 was Rs.240 crore and Rs.61 crore respectively.
TV18 Broadcast Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- The opening price of the TV18 Broadcast Ltd. on 1 January 2018 was Rs.61 on NSE. It increased by 5 points in the first 15 days of the month. By the end of January, the price of the stock was Rs.59. In the month of February, the price of the stock fell by 4 points at the beginning as TV18 acquired majority stake in Viacom 18. The scrip changed marginally in March and ended the month at Rs.67. The stock price was stable in April and fell by a few point at the end of the month.
- In May, the scrip continued its fall and was down by 10 points by the end of the month at Rs.55. The price of the stock did not change much in June. However, in July, the scrip continued to fall even further as was at Rs.48 on 31 July 2018.
TV18 Broadcast Ltd.Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The opening price of the TV18 Broadcast Ltd stock on 1 January 2016 was Rs.47 on NSE. It changed marginally by the end of the month and was at Rs.42. In February, the scrip fell by almost 10 points and ended the month at Rs.34. The stock price increase by few points in March as well as April. The opening price of the stock at the end of April was Rs.38.
- In the month of May, the stock price changed marginally while it picked up by few points in July. By the end of July, the opening price of the stock was Rs.39. The price of the stock changed marginally in the month of August and ended the month at Rs.42.
- The scrip finally picked up the pace in September and increased by 5 points by the end of the month. It changed marginally in October and was at Rs.44 by the end of the month. However, the scrip fell in November by around 10 points and ended the month at Rs.38. In the month of December, the price of the stock continued its downfall and was down by 5 points by the end of the month.
- The opening price of the stock on 2 January 2017 was Rs.36 on NSE. The stock price was stable throughout the month and changed by couple of points. In the month of February, the stock price gained strength by 4-5 points and crossed Rs.40. The price of the stock was stable in March as well as April.
- The scrip fell by around 5-6 points in the month of May. It ended the month at Rs.35. The stock price hardly changed in June and first 15 days of July. By the end of July, the stock had increased by 5 points at Rs.40. In August, the scrip fell by couple of points and ended the month at Rs.37.
- Things were pretty much the same in the month of September, as the scrip changed marginally. In October the stock price increased by mere 3-4 points and ended the month at Rs.43. The price of the stock in November gained some strength and crossed Rs.55 by the end of the month. The stock price gained another 10 points in the month of December. The opening price of the stock on 29 December 2017 was Rs.61.
Should you invest in TV18 Broadcast Ltd.?
- TV18 Broadcast had a strong FY 2017-18 in terms of revenue. The 51% stake acquisition in Viacom 18 has added more channels to the company’s umbrella.
- The stock price of the company has been stable for the past couple of years. However, it has increased slowly over the years and has not reported high fluctuation. You could invest in the stock of TV18 Broadcast Ltd. for a long-term. It is strongly advised to do a thorough research before investing money in stock market as it is volatile in nature.
In addition to a number of news channels, TV18 has a huge portfolio due to the joint venture with Viacom, called Viacom18. As a result of the joint venture, TV18’s portfolio comprises popular entertainment channels including Colors, Colors Marathi, Colors kannada, Colors Infinity, Rishtey, MTV, MTV Beats, Comedy Central, VH1, Nick Junior and others.
Management of the company
Mr Adil Zainulbhai - Independent Director and Chairman of the Board
Mr. Adil Zainulbhai was appointed as a chairman of TV18 Broadcast in 2015. He served at McKinsey for 34 years and retired as the Chairman of McKinsey, India. At present, he is also the chairman of the Quality Council of India and has worked on several projects for the Government. Adil is a mechanical engineering graduate from IIT and holds an MBA from Harvard.
Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stocks of TV18 Broadcast Ltd. are available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Sector: Finance - Media and Entertainment
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- Nifty 500
- Nifty 200
- Nifty Media
- S&P BSE 500
First Floor, Empire Complex, 414,
Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai-400013,
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.