Tata Chemicals Ltd. is a part of the Tata Group. It is one of the largest chemical companies in India that deals in farm solutions, food and nutrition and industrial chemicals.Market Capitalisation
The market capitalisation of Tata Chemicals Ltd. as on 7 August 2018 is around Rs.17,480 crore.
Company's Wealth and Recent Performance
- For the full financial year 2017-18, the income from operations on a consolidated basis was Rs.10,345 crore. The net profit recorded an increase of 39% and was at Rs.1,560 crore. The company’s income from operations was at Rs.3,524 core while the net profit on a standalone basis saw an increase of 8% and was at Rs.624 crore.
- For the Q4 2017-18, the consolidated income from operations was Rs.2,555 crore while the standalone income from operations reported was Rs.918 crore. The company’s consolidated profit from operations for was at Rs.356 Cr, up by 23%
- The company’s Soda Ash and Salt in India posted healthy margins as a result of improved operational efficiencies. Tata Salt recorded highest ever production volumes.
- Tata Chemicals continued to hold the top spot in the national branded salt segment.
- In the FY 2017-18, the company launched MediKarb, a pharma-grade bicarb that has been well received in the market. It also rolled out new products like Nutrimixes, Multigrain Khichdi mix, and a range of organic pulses under the Tata Sampann brand.
- The Board recommended a dividend of Rs.11 per share and a special dividend of Rs.11 per share as a result of a strong sale of the Fertiliser Business. Hence, the aggregating dividend was Rs.22 per share.
- Tata Chemicals Ltd. is expecting future growth from its Consumer and Speciality businesses.
- In June 2018, the company completed the acquisition of the Silica business from Allied Silic. As a result of the transaction, Tata Chemicals Ltd. has acquired their business of precipitated silica that is used in industries such as agrochemicals, rubber, oral care, and coatings.
- The company’s nutraceuticals project at Nellore in Andhra Pradesh is expected to be ready by 2019. The project has been developed with an investment of Rs.275 crore.
Tata Chemicals Ltd. Stock Trends in 2018
- The opening price of Tata Chemicals Ltd. on 1 January 2018 was Rs.731 on NSE. The scrip fell by around 20 points by the end of the month. Tata Chemicals completed the sale of urea business Yara Fertilizers. The price of the stock witnesses marginal change in the month of February. In March, the scrip continued to fall and ended the month at Rs.690.
- The scrip picked up the pace in the month of April by around 60 points. The opening price of the stock by end of April was Rs.741. At the beginning of May, the scrip continued to increase and stood at Rs.784. However, towards the end of the month, it lost ground and ended the month at Rs.729.
- In June, the price of the stock fell marginally and was at Rs.691. The month of July saw the scrip decline by 20 points. It ended the month at Rs.684.
Tata Chemicals Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The opening price of the Tata Chemicals Ltd. stock at the beginning of January 2016 was Rs.405 on NSE. The scrip fell by around 60 points by the end of the month and was at Rs.345. It further continued to fall throughout February and ended the month at Rs.317. The scrip gained some strength in the month of March and increased by more than 55 points. The opening price of the stock at the beginning of April was Rs.378.
- In May, the price of the stock increased by around 20 points and ended the month at Rs.423. In June the scrip changed marginally however, it picked up the pace in July and was at Rs.472 by the end of the month. In August, the price of the stock crossed Rs.550 mark and ended the month at Rs.558.
- In the month of September, the scrip fell marginally, however, it increased in October. By the end of the month, the scrip had surged by more than 15 points and was at Rs.545. The scrip fell in November by more than 75 points and ended the month at Rs.470. In December, increased marginally and was at Rs.493 by the end of the month.
- The opening price of the stock at the beginning of January 2017 was Rs.506 on NSE. The scrip increased by around 35 points by the end of the point and ended the month by Rs.541. The stock price in February increased marginally, however, it increased in March and was at Rs.594 by the end of the month. In April, the scrip gained strength and crossed the Rs.600 mark and ended the month at Rs.656.
- In May, the price of the stock fell and was at Rs.630 by the end of the month. The scrip fell by over 30 points in June and ended the month at Rs.602. The stock changed marginally in July and fell again in the month of August.
- In September, the price of the stock gained strength by over 50 points and ended the month at Rs.639. The scrip continued to increase in October and was up by around 95 points by the end of the month at Rs.740. In November, the stock fell by around 20 points. The opening price of the stock by the end of December was Rs.727.
Should you invest in Tata Chemicals Ltd.?
- Tata Chemicals recorded a strong growth in the FY 2017-18 and the Q4 of FY 2017-18 reported a four-fold increase. In the next 5 years, the company is eyeing to clock Rs.10,000-crore business in its soda ash segment and Rs.5,000 crore in the pulses, spices and food category.
- The price of the stock has been stable for the past couple of years and not witnessed any unusual fluctuations. Investing in Tata Chemicals Ltd. could be good for a long-term investment purpose. However, it is strongly advised to conduct your own research before investing in the stock market as it is risky and uncertain in nature.
Tata Chemicals Ltd. focuses on three main verticals - Living, Industrial and Farm Essentials. It operates in nutraceuticals, consumer products, industry chemicals, and agri-solutions. At present, the company is the world’s third largest producer of soda ash. It has manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, Africa and North America. In the 2017 responsible Business Rankings, that was developed by IIM Udaipur, the company took the number one position.
Management of the Company
Mr. R Mukundan - Managing Director and CEO
Mr. R Mukundan joined the Tata Administrative Service in 1990 and has been with the Tata group for more than 28 years. He has held various responsibilities across the chemical, automotive and hospitality sectors of the group. Mukundan is an engineer from IIT Roorkee and has completed his MBA from FMS, Delhi University. He is also an alumnus of the Harvard Business School.
Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stocks of Tata Chemicals Ltd. are available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Sector: Finance - Chemicals
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- Nifty 200
- Nifty 500
- Nifty Commodities
- Nifty Full Midcap 100
- Nifty LargeMidcap 250
- Nifty Low Volatility 50
- Nifty Midcap 100
- S&P BSE 100
- S&P BSE 100 ESG Index
- S&P BSE 200
- S&P BSE 250 LargeMidCap Index
- S&P BSE 500
Bombay House, 24, Homi Mody Street,
Fort, Kala Ghoda, Fort,
Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
Tel: (022) 6665 8282
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.