Exide Industries manufactures the widest range of storage batteries in the country. The company sells lead acid storage batteries in the world from 2.5Ah to 20,600Ah capacity.
The market capitalisation of Exide Industries as on 3 August 2018 is around Rs.23,140 crore.
Company's Wealth and Recent Performance
From the financial results released by the company, the following points were noted with respect to the changes from Q1 of FY 2017–2018 to Q1 of FY 2018–2019:
- Exide Industries posted a standalone net profit of Rs.209.92 crore, an increase of 11.06% from Rs.189 crore.
- The standalone revenue from the operations were at Rs.2,772.46 crore from Rs.2,363.72 crore The company’s automotive and motorcycles batteries reported a strong quarter in terms of the volume.
The changes for the entire FY 2016-17 to FY 2017-18 were:
- Exide Industries recorded a 21% increase in the net turnover at Rs.9,186.32 crores from Rs.7,583.47 crores.
- The Profit after Tax (PAT) was Rs.668.35 crores from Rs.693.64 crore.
The changes from Q4 FY 2016-17 to Q4 FY 2017-18 were:
- The company posted a net turnover of Rs.2,459.41 crore from Rs.1954.59 crore.
- The PAT also increased 15% at Rs.189.56 crore as against Rs.164.26 crore.
Other important developments in the company
- For the last fiscal, the company invested close to Rs.800 crore.
- Exide Industries launched premium car batteries under the sub-brand ‘Epiq’ which comes with a six-year warranty and targets the high-end automotive segment like cars and SUVs.
- In June 2018, Exide Industries forayed into lithium-ion batteries industry by entering into a joint venture with Switzerland-based company Leclanché. The company is expected to make a module and battery pack assembly line operational by Q2 2019. Moreover, a lithium-ion cell production plant is expected to be in operation by mid 2020.
- Exide Industries won a gold award from Indus Towers for technology support in March 2018. In July, the company also won JIPM, Japan's Overseas Award for Excellence in Consistent TPM Commitment 2017.
Exide Industries Stock Trends in 2018
- The opening price of the Exide Industries stock on 1 January 2018 was Rs.222 on NSE. The scrip changed by few points by the end of the month. In February, the stock price fell by around 12 points and ended the month at Rs.208. The scrip changed marginally in the month of March while it picked up the pace in April. The stock price increased by about 40 points throughout the month and ended at Rs.251.
- In the month of May, the price of the stock continued to increase in the first 15 days of the month and was at Rs.265 towards the end. The scrip fell by the end of June by around 12 points. In July, the stock price increased by more than 15 points and ended the month at Rs.276.
Exide Industries Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- The opening price of the Exide Industries stock on 1 January 2016 was Rs.146 on NSE. The scrip fell by around 30 points by the end of the month and was at Rs.118. In the month of February, the price of the stock changed marginally while it changed by 10 points in March. In April, the price of the stock by the end of the month was Rs.147.
- In May, the stock price increased by 20 points and ended the month at Rs.160. The scrip changed marginally in June and picked up the pace in July. The opening price of the stock in August was Rs.180 and it fell by 10-12 points towards the end of the month.
- The month of September did not witness a major change in the price of the stock. The scrip crossed Rs.200 by the end of October. In November, the price of the stock fell by around 20 points. The price of the stock by the end of the December was Rs.179.
- At the beginning of January 2017, the price of the stock was Rs.181. The scrip reached almost Rs.200 by the end of the month. In the month of February and March, the stock price changed marginally. The opening price of the stock at the end of April was Rs.227.
- The scrip gained strength in the month of May by around 20 points and ended the month at Rs.228. In June and July, the scrip changed marginally. The scrip ended the month of July at Rs.217. In August, the price of the stock fell by around 20 points by the end of the month.
- In September as well as October, the scrip witnessed a marginal change in the stock price. The price of the stock at the end of October was Rs.205. In November, the price of the stock did not change much, however, it gained some strength in the December. The opening price of the stock by the end of December was Rs.219.
Should you invest in Exide Industries?
- Exide Industries has currently has a market capitalisation close to Rs.215 billion (US$3.2 billion). The company had a strong first quarter for FY 2018-19.
- The price of the stock has been stable for the past couple of years and has not witnessed major fluctuations.
- Investing in Exide Industries stock for a long-term purpose could be a good option. However, it is strongly advised that you do research before investing your hard-earned money in the stock market as it is a risky and uncertain form of investment. You can instead look at mutual funds as an alternate option for investment.
Exide Industries is a leader in India as the largest storage battery company with an array of both conventional flooded as well as latest VRLA batteries. It has 9 factories located all over the country. Out of which 7 of these factories are dedicated to batteries while the other 2 factories manufacture Home UPS Systems. The company also a global presence with subsidiaries located in the UK, Singapore and Sri Lanka. It exports to over 45 countries across six continents. The company has more than 60 years of experience in Research & Development as well manufacturing. Exide manufactures provides batteries for various sectors including computer industries, automotive, power, telecom, and infrastructure projects. It also sells batteries to the important sectors like the mining, defence sectors, and railways.
Management of the Company
Mr. Gautam Chatterjee - Managing Director and Chief Executive Office
Mr. Gautam Chatterjee has been the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Exide Industries Limited since May 1 , 2016. He has held several positions at the company in the past. Chatterjee has been a member of the board as executive director of the company since 13 May 1996. He played an important role in making Haldia unit of Exide, in West Bengal as one of the leading battery manufacturing facilities in India. Chatterjee holds BE in Mechanical Engineering. He holds MBA from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
Listings in NSE, BSE, and Indices
The stock of Exide Industries is available for trading on the two major stock exchanges of India - The National Stock Exchange Limited (NSE) and The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Sector: Auto Ancillaries
The company forms a part of important indices like:
- Nifty 200
- Nifty 500
- Nifty Auto
- Nifty Midcap 50
- Nifty Midcap 100
- Nifty Midcap 150
- Nifty Full Midcap 100
- Nifty LargeMidcap 250
- S&P BSE 100
- S&P BSE 200
- S&P BSE 500
Exide Industries Ltd.
59E Chowringhee, Kolkata - 700020
Phone: +91 33 2302 3400, 2283 2118/ 50/ 71
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.