JSW Energy Ltd. was incorporated in the year 1994, which is an integrated power company engaged in generation and sale of power. The company’s main source of revenue comes from power generation and transmission, mining, power trading and manufacturing of equipment. JSW Energy Ltd. has its presence in India and also has stakes in a coal mining company in South Africa. The company is listed in the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).Market Capitalisation
JSW Energy Ltd. market capitalisation, as of 13 August 2018, is a little more than Rs.10,900 crore.
Company’s Wealth and Recent Performance
- For the 2017-18 fiscal, the company reported a total turnover of Rs.8,514 crore and the Earnings Before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBIDTA) stood at Rs.3,228 crore, up by 37.9%.
- JSW Energy Ltd.’s Profit after Tax (PAT) for the financial year 2018 stood at Rs.496 crore, up by 5.8%.
- For the quarter ending 30 June 2018, the company reported a consolidated sales of Rs.2,360.56 crore up by 32.98% compared to the previous quarter and up by 5.78% as against last year same quarter.
- The company reported a net profit after tax of Rs.217.10 crore in the quarter ending June 2018.
- The company’s net worth stands at Rs.11,581 crore compared to Rs.11,110 crore in the previous quarter.
- During the Q1 FY19, it’s standalone income from operations stands at Rs.1,311 crore compared to Rs.1,122 in the same quarter during the previous financial year.
JSW Energy Ltd. Stock Trend in 2018
- The stock price of the company on the 1st of January 2018 stood at Rs.91.05 and inclined sharply to touch Rs.95.60 on the 15th of the month before it closed at Rs.87.60 by the end of the month.
- When trading began on the 1st of February, the price of the stock stood at Rs.87.35 and declined considerably over the course of the month before ended 7 points lower than the opening date.
- On 1st March, the stock opened for trading at Rs.80.55; however, it depreciated to stand at Rs.72.05 on the 23rd of the month and ended the month at Rs.72.80.
- On the 2nd of April, the stock opened for trading at Rs.73.50 and moved upwards to touch Rs.85.40 on the 19th of the month. By the end of the month, the stock price closed at Rs.84.75.
- The stock opened for trading on the 1st of May when it’s price stood at Rs.84.75 and declined to Rs.68.25 on the 14th; however, it recovered to close at Rs.82.25 on the last day of trading.
- When the market opened for trading on the 1st of June, the stock price stood at Rs.75.45 and declined significantly to end at Rs.65.60.
- On 2nd July, the stock price stood at Rs.62.90 to decline sharply to Rs.61.85 on the 20th; however, it recovered to close the month at Rs.65.90.
JSW Energy Ltd. Stock Trends in 2016 and 2017
- On 1 January 2016, the stock price of the company stood at Rs.86.65 and ended the month 10 points lower. On the 1st of February, the price of the stock opened at Rs.72.90; however, it declined sharply to end at Rs.61.75 on the last day of the month. The stock opened for trading at Rs.63.15 on the 1st of March and ended the month Rs.69.55.
- When the stock market opened for trading on the 1st of April, the company’s stock price stood at Rs.69.90 and rose to Rs.71.60 on the 18th before it declined to Rs.67.70 on the last of day of the month. On 2nd May, the price of the stock closed at Rs.67.10 and rose to stand at Rs.71.15 on the last day of the month. On the 1st of June, the stock price closed at Rs.70.30 and inclined significantly to Rs.84.30 on the 16th and ended the month at Rs.83.90.
- On the 1st of July, the price of the stock closed at Rs.83.20 and fluctuated over the course of the month before ended the month at Rs.82.55. The stock opened for trading on the 1st of August at Rs.83 and ended the month down by nearly 5 points. On 1st September, the stock price stood at Rs.76.20 and inclined to Rs.89.85 on the 9th of the month; however, it declined to end the month at Rs.73.05.
- In the month of October, the stock price opened at Rs.73.50 and slipped considerably to end at Rs.65.70 on the last day of the month. On 1 November, the stock price stood at Rs.66.55 and touched a new low of Rs.54.30, but gained to end at Rs.59.30 on the last day of trading. On 1 December, the stock price opened at Rs.60 and ended the month at Rs.60.85.
- On 1 January 2017, the company’s stock opened for trading at Rs.60.10 before it closed the month at Rs.61.00. The stock closed for trading on the 1st of February at Rs.61.00 and ended the month with more than 4 points. When the market opened for trading on the 1st of March, the company stock price closed the day at Rs.64.75 and closed at Rs.62.70 on the last day of the month.
- On the 3rd of April, the stock price stood at Rs.64.20 and ended the month at Rs.67.05, up by nearly 4 points. The stock opened at Rs.67.05 on the 1st of May and inclined to Rs.69.80 on the 10th of the month before declining to end the month at Rs.63.10. On the 1st of June, the company’s stock price stood at Rs.63.05 and fluctuated slightly over the course of the month before closing at Rs.64.05.
- The stock market opened for trading on the 3rd of July and the company’s stock price stood at Rs.65.00 and ended the month 5 points higher. On the 1st of August, the price of the stock stood at Rs.70.00 and declined to end the month at Rs.67.45. When the market opened for trading on the 1st of September, the stock price stood at Rs.67.05 and rose sharply to Rs.79.40 on the 20th of the month before closing at Rs.73.75 on the last day of the month.
- The company’s stock price stood at Rs.73.75 when the market opened for trading on the 2nd of October before closing the month more than 12 points compared to the opening date. On 1st November, the stock price stood at Rs.85.45 and closed at Rs.83.75 on the last day of the month. On the last month of 2017, the stock price opened at Rs.84.25 before surging to Rs.92.40 on the last day of the year.
Should You Invest in JSW Energy Ltd.?
- As of 31 March 2018, the company’s total assets stood at Rs.16,050.17 crore, while its total revenue stood at Rs.5,266 crore for the said period.
- The net profit after tax (net) stood at Rs.356.91 crore and the total comprehensive income stood at Rs.357.48 crore.
- For the quarter ending on 31 March 2018, the company’s consolidated sales stood at Rs.2,360.56 crore up by 32.98% compared to last quarter sales of Rs.1,775.08 crore and up by 5.78% from the same quarter in the previous financial year when sales were at Rs.2,231.64 crore.
- The company’s consolidated income from operations, as of 30 June 2018, stood at Rs.2,361 crore up from Rs.2,232 crore during the same period of the last year.
- Also, the company’s consolidated EBITDA as of 30 June 2018 stood at Rs.844 crore down when compared to the same period last year when it stood at Rs.976 crore.
- Despite the stock price declining in the last couple of months, the trend over the last three reflects the stabilization of the price by the end of the financial year.
- The company’s management team is well capable of taking strategic and right decisions.
JSW Energy Ltd. is an integrated power company mainly engaged in sale and generation of power. The company’s projects include Kutehr hydro Project, which is located at Kutehr, Himachal Pradesh; Kapurdi Mine, and Jalipa Mine. It also, through its subsidiary, operates lignite thermal power plant in Rajasthan with a capacity to produce 3,140 megawatts of electricity. Its plants include Vijay Nagar, Ratnagiri, Barmer and Himachal.
Originally incorporated as Jindal Tractebel Power Company Ltd. in March 1990 as a joint venture between JSW Steel Limited and Tractebel, S.A., Belgium. In 2002, the company’s name was changed to Jindal Thermal Power Company Ltd., it was further changed to JSW Energy Ltd. in 2005. In 2007, the company received the award of 260MW Kuther Hydro Electric project. While the company signed a MoU to set up a thermal power plant in the Kingdom of Swaziland, in 2007, it secured an order from Power Company of Karnataka Ltd. for the supply of 650MW.
Management of the Company
Sajjan Jindal is the Chairman and the Managing Director of JSW Energy Ltd. and he’s also the principal promoter of the company. Over the years, he is attributed to the expansion in core sectors such as power generation, infrastructure building and manufacturing of cement. Sajjan Jindal has an engineering degree in mechanical from the Bangalore University. He’s also the founder of JSW Venture Fund and JSW Ventures. Additionally, he serves as a Senior Vice President of ASSOCHAM and the President of INSDAG.
Prashant Jain is the Joint Managing Director and the CEO of JSW Energy Ltd. He’s a mechanical engineer with more than 20 years of experience in plant maintenance, corporate strategy and development, project management, policy advocacy and cross-border operations. He’s known for achievements with the company such as steering strategic collaboration with JFE, raising over $1 billion investment in JSW Steel Ltd. and the acquisition of Ispat Industries Ltd.
Jyoti Kumar Agarwal
Jyoti Kumar Agarwal is the Director (Finance) of the company. He’s a chartered accountant and has a Master’s in Business Administration from IIM Calcutta and a Chartered Financial Analyst. He comes with over 16 years of professional experience in corporate finance, investment banking, asset management, treasury and foreign exchange management. Prior to his role in JSW Energy, he was the Vice President (Finance) with JSW Steel Ltd.
JSW Energy Ltd. in NSE, BSE and Listings
The equity shares of JSW Energy Ltd. are available for trading on the NSE and BSE. The codes for trading are as follows:
- NSE Code: JSWENERGY
- BSE Code: 533148
- BSE Group: A
- ISIN: INE121E01018
- Sector: Power - Generation and Distribution
JSW Energy Ltd. Stock Indices:
- S&P CNX 500
- CNX Midcap
Bandra Kurla Complex
Near MMRDA Grounds
Mumbai - 400051
Web url: www.jsw.in/energy
Stocks vs. Mutual Funds: here's what we recommend
Stock market investments require a lot of research and knowledge. They do not generally offer any tax benefits and are regarded as high-risk investments. Hence,it is crucial to have a diversified portfolio. At Bankbazaar, we encourage our readers to invest on mutual funds.It doesn't require a lot of knowledge and equity linked mutual fund schemes offer tax benefits. Additionally, since mutual funds comprise stocks from multiple companies, they help in building a diversified portfolio.
The contents of this post/blog does not constitute financial or other professional advice nor does it imply in any manner a principal-agent relationship, and is not a professional advice on a specific financial matter.