A lot of students put in a ton of hard work and dedication to realize their dream of studying abroad. After you gain admission, scholarships, part-time jobs and accommodation are not the only thing to be taken care of. Even though studying abroad is a great achievement in itself and is a very exciting journey, it can bring its share of emergencies and uncertainties. The diversity in culture and environment can prove to be daunting if you do not have proper assistance in case of emergency. Certain accidents like a medical emergency and theft of passport and travel documents can strike anytime. Hence, it is very important that you are covered under a comprehensive student travel insurance policy.
A trailblazer when it comes to general insurance especially travel insurance, ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance Policy will let you follow your dreams in peace. With customer-centric features including easy claims settlement process and worldwide assistance, ICICI Lombard student travel insurance policy is a comprehensive scheme that covers all major risks.
Features and Benefits of ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance
Here are some of the unique advantages offered by ICICI Student Travel Insurance policy which makes it one of the most-sought after product when it comes to overseas student travel insurance.
- The policy costs almost 1/3 of the cost of purchasing a similar insurance policy abroad.
- The Student Travel Insurance Plan from ICICI Lombard is accepted by most foreign universities, in place of their compulsory insurance.
- The ICICI Lombard Student Travel Insurance Plan can be bought without any medical check-ups.
- The plan provides coverage for two-way compassionate visit for the parents of the insured. Coverage is also offered for study interruption.
- Customers can extend the policy easily using the online portal.
- Quick and efficient cashless claim settlement policy which is made possible through tie-ups with a wide network of hospitals across the globe.
- To offer the best health care benefits and services in the United States, ICICI Lombard has partnered with UnitedHealth International.
- The overseas student travel insurance policy offered by ICICI Lombard provides comprehensive coverage against unexpected non-medical and medical expenses during the study period.
Types of ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance Plans
ICICI Lombard offers three carefully designed schemes to give the student, the flexibility to choose a scheme that is best suited for the requirements. Here are the plans offered by ICICI Lombard for overseas student insurance.
- Gold Plus
This plan is specially crafted to offer complete medical cover and to cater to university requirements.
- Gold Plan
This scheme covers all medical emergencies including stay and trip related contingencies.
- Bronze Plan
This plan offers trip related coverage excluding medical cover benefits.
Coverage offered by ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance
Here are some benefits that come with ICICI Lombard overseas student travel insurance.
- Coverage is offered for medical expenses, including medical evacuation. This is available in the Gold and Gold Plus plans.
- Dental treatment coverage of up to US$250 is offered in Gold and Gold Plus plan.
- In the unfortunate event of death of the insured, the travel insurance plan covers funeral expenses and cost of repatriation of remains back to India. The coverage amount is equal to the medical sum insured under the policy. This coverage is included under the Gold and Gold Plus plans.
- All three plans offer coverage for checked-in baggage loss, up to US$1,000.
- Passport loss is covered under the plans, and the compensation amount offered is US$200.
- In case the insured meets with an accident that causes death or Permanent Total Disability (PTD), the following amounts are offered under the plans:
- Bronze - US$10,000
- Gold - US$25,000
- Gold Plus - US$25,000
- The plans offer compensation for damages (such as death, injury, damage to health or property) incurred by third-party, caused by the insured. The coverage offered is up to US$100,000.
- For any bailable offense while the insured is abroad, a bail amount of US$5,000 is offered by the plans.
- If the studies of a student are interrupted due to a medical condition or as a result of compassionate reasons, the reimbursement for the remaining school fee is available up to US$7,500.
- Sponsor protection coverage up to US$10,000 is offered by all three plans.
- All plans also cover two-way compassionate visit if the hospitalisation of the insured extends beyond 7 days. The amount offered for this is US$7,500.
- The Gold Plus plan offers coverage for nervous and mental disorders up to US$1,000.
- Medical expenses for sports injuries, cancer screening expenses, childcare benefits, and in-patient medical charges associated with pregnancy are also covered under the Gold Plus plan.
The policy coverage differs for Gold, Gold Plus and Bronze schemes of student insurance. Kindly refer to the policy wordings carefully to understand the inclusions and exclusions before purchasing the policy.
Some of the major risks excluded in the ICICI Lombard student insurance policy are as follows.
- Claims arising due to terrorism, war or nuclear radiation.
- Any claim arising due to HIV infection and mental disorders.
- Claims arising due to consumption of illegal drugs and alcohol.
- Any claim based on sporting activity unless covered in the premium and specified earlier.
Claims Process for ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance
- To register a claim, contact ICICI Lombard through mail, fax or using the helpline numbers.
- Depending on the type of claim, if it is a cashless settlement or a reimbursement settlement, a TPA would validate and authenticate the claim.
- The policyholder would be required to submit all the supporting documents and a completed claims form as per TPA guidance.
Documents Required for ICICI Lombard Overseas Student Travel Insurance
Here are some of the documents that will be asked during the claims process.
- Completely filled and signed claims form
- Policy copy
- Copy of boarding pass and air ticket jacket
- For Claims regarding delay of checked-in baggage – original receipts for emergency purchases, letter from airline regarding if any compensation was paid and when the baggage was returned back to the student
- For loss of passport, the student has to submit copy of new passport, receipts for obtaining duplicate travel documents and passport, certificate issued by the Indian Embassy and cost of professional solicitor
- I have to file a claim regarding a medical emergency? What documents do I have to submit?
You will have to submit an original statement from doctor mentioning the ailment and treatment, original hospital bills and receipts along with the claims form.
- What are the different modes of premium payment?
You can make the premium payment using credit card, Net Banking, Debit card, cash card and bill pay.
- What is the maximum reimbursement offered by ICICI Lombard towards tuition fee in case of demise of the student’s sponsor?
ICICI Lombard will reimburse up to $10,000 tuition fee in case of the unfortunate event of sponsor’s death.
- What extra cover is offered by the Globetrotter - Overseas Individual Student Insurance Plus Policy?
It covers the treatment cost for nervous disorders, alcoholism, medical expenses related to pregnancy, inter-collegiate sports injuries, mammography, and cancer screening and childcare benefits. It is essentially an add-on cover to fulfill the criteria of universities abroad.
- Will the student be covered during his visits to India in the policy period?
This policy is an overseas student travel insurance policy and thus, does not offer medical and travel cover to the student’s trip to India.