Documents Needed for Filing Income Tax Returns

Assesses looking to file their income tax returns will require the following documents:

Filing of Returns for Salaried Employees

  • Pan Number
  • Form-16 allotted by the employer

Documents Pertaining to Interest Income:

  • TDS certificate handed out by banks and others
  • Statement of interest income in case of fixed deposits
  • Passbook / bank statement for interest on savings account

Form 26AS:

This form is provided by the Income Tax Department and is a summary of deductions on taxes paid by the assessee. It displays information regarding the taxes deducted on your behalf, tax refunds received by the taxpayer during the financial year, and information regarding tax deposited by assessee. Individuals can access this form on the Income Tax Department’s website.

Investments under Section 80C:

The investments made under Section 80C must be submitted in the form of documents, whether investments are made under ELSS, NSC, PPF, RGESS and ULIPs, as they are all eligible for deductions under Section 80C.

The following documents must also be furnished if you’re looking to claim expenses related to them as deductions:

  • Provident Fund contributions
  • Premium payments towards life insurance policies
  • Children’s school fees
  • Principal repayment on housing loan
  • Registration and stamp-duty charges

Please note that the maximum amount you can claim as deductions under Section 80C is Rs.1.5 lacs.

Other Investment Documents:

  • Interest payments made towards home loan (eligible for deductions to the extent of Rs. 2 lacs) in case it is a self-occupied property.
  • Statement of stock trading including information of all stock trades conducted over the financial year as they are eligible for deductions under Capital Gain.
  • Interest payments towards education loan.
This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.