Overview about Indira Awaas Yojana
“Roti, Kapda aur Makaan” or food, clothing and housing – these are considered the three basic essentials human beings require to live a decent life. While it is comparatively easy to work and find resources for food and clothing, saving enough to build a house is out of reach for millions in India. According to reports, India is home to over 78 million homeless people, with a need for over 20 million houses in the country. The Indira Awaas Yojana was launched keeping this basic need of millions in mind.
About Indira Awaas Yojana
Almost half of the Indian population resides in villages, villages which often lack basic infrastructure. The Government of India launched the Indira Awaas Yojana in 1985 to provide housing solutions to the homeless across the country. Implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development, this scheme aims to reduce the number of homeless people in the country, fulfilling a basic criteria of accommodation for millions. This is a cost sharing scheme, with the Central Government bearing 75% of the expense incurred while state governments bear the remaining 25%, except in the case of Union Territories and North Eastern states, in which case the central government bears 100% and 90% of the costs respectively.
Purpose of Indira Awaas Yojana
The primary purpose of the Indira Awaas Yojana is to provide suitable living dwellings for people across the length and breadth of the country. It aims to fulfil this by providing financial assistance to the weaker sections of the community, ensuring they have sufficient funds to build a house for themselves. Through this scheme, the government hopes to have permanent houses in all towns and villages of the country by 2017.
Financial assistance under this scheme can be availed by the following individuals.
- Members of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- Members belonging to minorities
- Members who fall below the poverty line
- Family members of defence personnel who lost their during lives in action
- Ex-servicemen/women and members of the paramilitary forces
Eligible individuals can avail financial assistance to the tune of Rs 75,000 under this scheme. Those living in plains can avail Rs 70,000 while those residing in difficult terrains are entitled Rs 75,000. It is the responsibility of the beneficiary to get the house constructed with this amount and the use of contractors is prohibited.
Implementation of Indira Awaas Yojana
Since its inception, Indira Awaas Yojana has helped millions in the country. A total of over 25 million houses have been constructed in the last 20 years, providing shelter to millions. The government hopes to increase this number in the coming years, eliminating the problem of rural housing in the country.
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
- Rashtriya Sam Vikas Yojana
- Sampoorna Gramin Rojgar Yojana
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji Urban Mission
- Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme from Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana
- Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana
- Vikas Yojana Skill India Program
- 4 Essential-documents About Death Claims
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- Banking Ombudsman
- Gold Saving Funds vs Gold ETF
- Gramin Bhandaran Yojana
- Gratuity Calculator and How to Calculate Gratuity
- Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana
- Pooled Finance Development Fund Scheme
- Salary Definitions for Calculation of Gratuity HRA
- Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
- Losing Bank Locker Keys Here What You Need to Know