Passport is an important document which is useful and mandatory for various types of applications and services. Whether you want to travel abroad somewhere or use it as a proof of identity, having a passport can help you in many situations. Passports are issued by the RTO which is regulated by the Ministry of External Affairs. In order to get a passport, the applicant must fulfil certain criteria outlined by the governing authority. The passport application process is often sought as a complex task, however, with the right amount of guidance, anyone can apply for a passport without any difficulty.
Why Are Passports Essential?
Passport is a mandatory document which is required for international travel. Moreover, the visa application process requires the presence of a valid passport. An individual can use his/her passport to apply for other government recognized document such as Aadhaar, PAN, etc. Many employers and educational institutes in India encourage their employees/students to get a passport due to the police verification process. Having a passport means that the individual is verified by the local police against the details submitted by him/her for the passport application.
Documents Required For the Indian Passport Application Process
In order to initiate the application for a fresh/reissue passport, the applicant must have the following documents –
- Proof of Present Address
- Aadhaar or e-Aadhaar (subject to validation)
- Certificate from Employer (applicable for public limited companies only)
- Election Commission Photo ID Card
- Electricity Bill
- Gas connection Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Parent’s passport copy (for minors)
- Photo passbook of running Bank Account
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Spouse’s passport copy
- Telephone (landline or postpaid mobile bill)
- Water Bill, etc.
- Proof of Birth
- Birth Certificate issued by a recognized authority
- Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended
- Policy Bond (with date of birth) issued by Public Life Insurance Corporations or Companies
- Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar
- Driving license issued by the Transport Department of the concerned State Government
- Election Photo Identity Card issued by the Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department
- A declaration from the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home on their official letterhead of the organization confirming the DOB of the applicant
Additionally, the applicant will be required to submit his/her latest passport size photographs. The applicants who choose to furnish their Aadhaar will be provided with the benefit of expedite processing of the application. The Passport Seva Kendra will verify the particulars provided by the applicant.
Passport Application Fee
The applicant can choose from multiple fee payment options. The passport application fee can be paid through multiple payment options including Online Payment, Demand Draft, Cash, Debit and credit cards. The following table mentions the application fees for common passports in India -
|Passport Application||Regular Application Fee||Tatkal - Additional Fee|
|Fresh application and Reissue of Passport (also application for exhaustion of 36 visa pages)||Rs.1,500||Rs.2,000|
|Fresh application and Reissue of Passport (also application for exhaustion of 60 visa pages)||Rs.2,000||Rs.2,000|
|Fresh application and Reissue of Passport for minors under 18 years of age||Rs.1,000||Rs.2,000|
|Replacement for lost, damaged or stolen passport - 36 visa pages||Rs.3,000||Rs.2,000|
|Replacement for lost, damaged or stolen passport - 60 visa pages||Rs.3,500||Rs.2,000|
|Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)||Rs.500||NA|
The Passport Application Process
In order to apply for an Indian passport, the applicant can submit the filled-in Passport Application Form in any of the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK), Mini Passport Seva Kendra (within the jurisdiction of the applicant’s Passport Office), District Passport Cell (DPC), Select Speed Post Centre (SPC), or Citizen Service Centre (CSC).
Factors Involved In the Passport Application Process -
- Application Form - The passport application form can be either downloaded online or obtained from a post office or a passport office. The applicant has the flexibility either submit the form online itself or visit any of the location mentioned above.
- Appointment – Depending on the type of passport, the applicant is required to pay the fee before he/she can schedule an appointment. The convenience of online payment allows the applicants to immediately book their appointments.
- Acknowledgment - Once the payment is made and the appointed is scheduled, the applicant will be provided with a Passport Application Receipt that also contains the appointment details.
- Documents – The applicant will need to carry the documents and the Passport Application Receipt for the appointment. After the documents are verified, the applicant will be approached by the local police station for a verification.
- Issuing passports – Provided all the documents, police verification, and the application form clears the checks, the passport will be issued within a specified time based on the type of it.
The individuals who wish apply for a fresh passport or a re-issue of the passport are advised to visit www.passportindia.gov.in to obtain detailed information pertaining to passport applications in India. The above steps are applicable for regular passports with 36 and 60 Visa pages. The individuals who require general or any other passport related information can consider using the toll-free number 1800-258-1800 or write to the Support Centre through the Feedback link provided on the website.