Passport Required Documents Queries and FAQs

  1. Who is responsible for issuance of passports to Indian citizens?
  2. The Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for issuance of passports to Indian citizens. Passports are issued to them through a network of 37 Passport offices located in the country and 180 Indian embassies and consulates located abroad.

  3. How do I apply for a passport and what are the documents that I need to submit?
  4. You can apply for a fresh passport through the Passport Seva website or the app. The documents that adults need to submit along with the application form if a normal application is filed are as follows:

    • Proof of present address.
    • Proof of date of birth.
    • Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR categories.
  5. Which documents can I submit as proof of address while applying for a fresh passport?
  6. When an individual applies for a fresh passport, the following documents can be submitted by him/her as proof of address:

    • Aadhaar card
    • Election Photo ID card
    • Landline or Postpaid mobile bill
    • Proof of Gas connection
    • Electricity bill
    • Rental agreement
    • Water bill
    • Income Tax Assessment order
    • First and last page of spouse’s passport which includes the details of the family and mentions the applicant’s name as spouse of the passport holder.
    • Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head.
    • Bank passbook of any active account having the applicant’s photo in any public sector bank, private sector bank and regional rural banks.
  7. What are the reasons under which I can apply for a re-issue of passport?
  8. You can apply for a re-issue of the passport due to a variety of reasons. The reasons for which an application of re-issue can be made are as follows:

    • Expiry of validity
    • Exhaustion of pages
    • Validity due to expire
    • Renewal of Short Validity Passport
    • Loss/stolen passport
    • Damaged passport beyond recognition
    • Damaged passport with the passport number readable, name legible and photograph intact
    • Change in appearance
    • Change of signature
    • Change in name
    • Change in date of birth
    • Addition/Change in spouse’s name
    • Change in Address
    • Deletion of ECR
    • Change of place of birth (involving state or country)
    • Change of place of birth (not involving state or country)
    • Change in sex
    • Change in parent’s name
  9. If minors apply for re-issue of passport, which documents are needed to be submitted?
  10. In case, the passport of a minor needs to be reissued, any of the documents mentioned below needs to be submitted along with the application form depending on the reason for re-issuance:

    • Old passport, original.
    • Proof of date of birth.
    • Proof of place of birth.
    • Proof of present address.
    • Self-attested copies of the first and last two pages of the passport, ECR/Non-ECR page, page of observation and validity extension page (if any).
    • Document which eliminates the cause for issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
    • Police report in original.
    • Sworn affidavit regarding change in sex.
    • Certificate from hospital where the applicant successfully underwent sex change operation.
    • Recent photograph showing latest appearance of the applicant.
    • Affidavit stating the reason for change in place of birth.
    • Affidavit stating the reason as to how and where the passport got lost or damaged.
    • Parent’s passport with new name in original along with the self-attested photocopy of the first and last two pages, ECR/non-ECR page, page of observation and page of validity extension (if any).
    • Service order/pension order/property documents showing that parents changed their names.
    • Order from the First class judicial magistrate or Sub-divisional magistrate (civil court), if the change in date of birth is more than 2 years/change in place of birth involving change in country or state/in case of conflicting documents/.
    • Certificate of citizenship issued by Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), if change in place of birth involves country.
  11. If I apply for re-issue of the passport due to loss/stolen/damaged passport, the application should be accompanied by which documents?
  12. The application filed for reissue of passport needs to be accompanied by:

    • Proof of present address.
    • Proof of date of birth.
    • Police report in original.
    • Affidavit stating how and where the existing passport got lost/stolen/damaged.
    • No Objection Certificate (NOC)/ Prior Intimation (PI) letter.
  13. What documents are required to be submitted for availing a diplomatic/Official passport?
  14. Diplomatic/Official passports are issued to people who hold diplomatic status or are deputed by the Government of India for official duty abroad. To avail a diplomatic passports, one copy each of the below mentioned documents needs to be submitted along with the application:

    • Official identity card of the applicant or of the Head of Office.
    • Certificate that is issued by the Head of Office.
    • Official request letter from the forwarding officer.
    • Political/PMO clearance certificate (if applicable).
  15. Who issues the certificate of citizenship that is required to be submitted if the change in place of birth involves state or country?
  16. The certificate of citizenship is issued to the applicant by the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.