What is a damaged passport?
According to the Passport Act and Rules, a damaged passport can be classified based on the damage that is done. This is classified into two types:
- The damage that is beyond recognition.
- The passport is damaged but the number is clear, the photograph is intact, and the name is still legible.
What to do if the passport booklet is damaged and the holder wants to go abroad urgently?
If the passport is not damaged to an extent that it cannot be recognized, then the respective passport holder can apply for a re-issue under the Tatkaal program. He or she can even go to nearest RPO (Regional Passport Office) and discuss the situation with the concerned officer.
What to do while applying for a new passport knowing that the old one is damaged or lost?
The event of the lost passport has to be reported immediately at the closest police station and to the India Mission or PO (Passport Office), if abroad. Once this is done, the next step is to apply for a “re-issue” at the closest PSK (Passport Seva Kendra) along with the form and other essential documents.
What to do if an Indian citizen living abroad temporarily loses his or her passport?
In such a case, a copy of his or her old passport may not be mandatory to submit. In fact, it is not applicable if a person has the passport damaged/lost/stolen. However, submitting the old passport details like the passport number, issue date, expiry date, and issued place is required when filling the application form. For some reasons, if the applicant does not remember any of such details, then he or she can seek the help of the post/mission of the foreign country.
What to do if a person loses his/her passport in the United States and he/she has been sent back to India for an Emergency Certificate? In such a case what documents need to be submitted to get a new passport?
If the passport is lost in a foreign country, then the person has to apply for a re-issue of the passport. For this, the documents given below need to be submitted:
- Birth certificate or any ID that mentions the date of birth
- Present address proof
- An affidavit that states where and how the passport was damaged/lost (Annexure ‘F’)
- Original police report
- Self-attested copy of the first two and the last two pages of passport, if available
How to apply for a duplicate passport if it is damaged or lost?
A duplicate passport can be applied with the help of “re-issue.”
Read More About Other Passport Related Pages
- Indian Passport
- Applying for Passport Services
- Apply for Passport Online
- Apply for Passport Offline
- PSK Passport Applications
- Passport Forms
- Fill Passport Application Form
- Track Passport Application Status
- ECR ECNR Status
- Emergency ID Surrender LOC
- OCI and PIO Card
- Passport Grievance and Feedback
- RTI and Passport
- Police Verification
- PSK Locations and Appointment
- Diplomatic Passport
- Passport Glossary Terms
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges