Applying for a passport can be done online by visiting the official Passport Seva website. The Ministry of External Affairs has now made all passport applications online, so if you’re looking to renew or apply for a fresh passport, you will have to go through the online application process.
How to Apply for a Passport Online?
When looking to apply for a passport online, an applicant needs to follow certain steps. The steps involved are described in details below:
Step 1: Passport Seva log-in
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva & Click on the ‘APPLY’ section.
- If you are an existing user, you can login using the user ID and password.
- If you are a first-time user, you will have to register and create an account. Follow the steps below to register:
- Click on ‘Register Now’ under the ‘New User’ tab.
- Enter the login ID & password. Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Register’.
Step 2: Choosing the Application Type
After logging in, you will have to choose the relevant service from the options provided. You can choose to apply for a:
- Fresh passport/passport reissue
- Diplomatic passport/official passport
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
- Identity Certificate
Step 3: Filling the Application Form
Filling in the application form can be done online or offline. To fill in the application form offline, follow the steps given below:
- Click on the link provided to download the application form in soft copy.
- A link to an electronic copy of the following forms will be displayed. Download the relevant form based on your application type:
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Identity Certificate
- Fill in the application e-form and click on the ‘Upload e-form' link.
- Upload the filled-in application form.
You can also fill in the application form online and submit the same. You can also partially fill-in the form and complete the process at a later date. It is advisable to check the form once before submitting it.
Step 4: Schedule, Pay & Book the appointment
After filling in and submitting the form, you will have to schedule an appointment at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or relevant passport authority. Booking an appointment can be done as mentioned below:
- Go to the ‘Applicant Home’ page & click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’.
- The submitted application form details will be displayed. Choose the ARN of the form you have submitted.
- Click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option from the ones provided.
- Next, choose the mode of payment from among the two provided, viz. Online payment and Challan payment.
Note: If paying for tatkaal appointments, the online fee is the same as a regular passport fee. The balance amount is to be paid at the PSK on the appointment date.
If you are paying online, you can move on to booking the appointment immediately. If you choose to pay through challan, you will have to do the following:
- Take the challan to an SBI branch and pay the required amount in cash. (Note: This can be done only after 3 hours of challan generation, which is valid for 85 days.)
- Next, collect a copy of the challan from the receiving bank personnel.
- The bank takes 2 days to verify the ARN details provided on the challan.
- Successful payment of the fees will be displayed on the website post-verification where the applicant can ‘track the payment status’. An email update is also sent.
Scheduling the appointment
- On the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ page, select the PSK of your choice.
- Choose a convenient slot from the available dates mentioned. There, the applicant is required to select a PSK based on the available date.
- Confirm your appointment slot by entering the CAPTCHA code.
- Next, select ‘Pay and Book the Appointment’
- Application details such as ARN, name, type of application, the amount that needs to be paid, contact number, and the appointment date will be displayed.
- If you have chosen to pay online, you will be redirected to the payment gateway.
On successful completion of payment, you will receive confirmation of the appointment and an appointment number. An SMS with the details will also be sent. Print a copy of the application receipt. All PSKs now also accept the SMS for appointment proof.
In case, multiple payments are made for the same appointment/application/ARN, the excess amount will be refunded by the RPO. The passport appointment can be rescheduled twice within a year from the date of the original appointment. However if you miss the appointment, you can’t reschedule the appointment.
How to Apply for Diplomatic Passport/Official Passport Online
Diplomatic or Official passports are issued to those individuals who hold diplomatic status or are deputed by the Government of India to travel abroad on official duty. This document can also be used as proof of address and identity. Applications for Diplomatic and Official passports are normally entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division, Patiala House, New Delhi. However, you can also choose to apply at the Passport Office attached to the present address of the applicant.
The pointers mentioned below will help guide applicants, who wish to apply for an Official or Diplomatic passport online -
- Visit the official website of the Passport Seva Kendra & click on the ‘Register Now’ link.
- On doing so, they will be given an ID which needs to be used to login to the Passport Seva Online Portal.
- Applicants then have to click on the link that reads ‘Apply for Diplomatic Passport’.
- After doing so, the necessary form needs to be downloaded, filled in and submitted along with required documentary proof.
- Next, the printout of the completed application will have to be taken through the ‘View/Print Submitted Form’ link that is available on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ page.
- This printed copy of the online application form will have to be taken to the Consular Passport and Visa Division, Patiala House in New Delhi Passport Office along with necessary documents in original, attached to the current address and submit the application.