When you are looking to buy a new car, there would be many decisions to make. This includes the body style, engine type, colour, and transmission of the vehicle. It is important that you spend some time on researching the different options in the market, particularly the transmission type.
If you are confused about the type of transmission you would like to have in your car, you should look at your personal preferences and driving habits in general. This will surely help you make the right decision.
Difference Between Manual And Automatic Transmission:
The main difference between a manual transmission and an automatic transmission is the way in which the car shifts gears. When a vehicle has automatic transmission, the driver does not have control of when the gear should be shifted. The car automatically shifts the gears for the driver. In a vehicle with manual transmission, the driver is responsible for shifting gears through the clutch and gear stick.
The shifting of gears, irrespective of whether it is done by the car or the driver, is an important part of the driving process. As the driver increases the speed of the vehicle, the RPM of the engine also goes up. The tachometer on the dashboard shows the RPM of the engine. In order to protect the vehicle’s engine and align it with the speed, the gear has to be changed. In a manual transmission vehicle, the driver will change the gear. In an automatic transmission vehicle, the car does the changing of gears.
Advantages Of Vehicles With Automatic Transmission:
A vehicle with automatic transmission will offer you the simplest driving experience. Some of the key benefits of such a vehicle are as follows:
- It helps the driver to stay focussed on the roads.
- If you stay in an area with heavy traffic, it is better to go for an automatic transmission vehicle. Driving in stop-and-go traffic with a manual transmission car can be very exhausting. It is also easier to operate automatic transmission vehicles if you reside in hilly areas.
- The latest models of automatic transmission vehicles are helpful when you need to accelerate fast.
Advantages Of Vehicles With Manual Transmission:
Cars with stick shifts also have die-hard fans. Some of the advantages of buying such a vehicle are elaborated below:
- Cars with manual transmission offer better mileage.
- Manual transmission cars gives you better control over the vehicle.
- The repair expenses in a manual transmission car are usually very low.
- Manual transmission cars are, more often than not, cheaper than automatic transmission vehicles.
- It is essential for a driver to be able to drive a manual transmission car, as it can be quite handy during an emergency.
Best-Selling Cars In India With Automatic Transmission:
The top 5 best-selling automatic transmission vehicles in India are as listed below:
- Maruti Dzire - Maruti Dzire has unmistakable styling, seamless enhancements, and luxurious interiors that are sure to turn some heads on the roads. The LED projector headlamps of the vehicle with DRLs, the auto gear shift technology, leather wrapped steering wheel, rear AC vent, keyless entry, automatic climate control, and SmartPlay infotainment system are highlights of the Dzire.
- Hyundai Creta - The Hyundai Creta has a strong body made of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) and Ultra High Strength Steel (UHSS). The interior features enhance the driving experience. The vehicle has a refined engine that delivers high performance. The car comes with a warranty scheme that ensures complete peace of mind for the driver. Some of the noteworthy features of the car include the piano black roof with spoiler, rear defogger and wiper, black shark fin antenna, and push button start.
- Maruti Alto K10 - The Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 has a bold look and a cool and classy design. Some of the prominent features of the vehicle include keyless entry, sweptback headlamps, fog lamps, tail lamp cluster, and dual tone interiors. The vehicle also sports a swanky speedometer cluster and piano finish stereo. The auto gear shift (AGS) technology in the car helps the driver move through heavy traffic in a hassle-free way.
- Maruti Baleno - Maruti Baleno has a powerful body and attractive features that symbolise the attitude the carmaker wants to convey through the model. The Baleno has a unique Liquid Flow Design that is based on the energy of water in motion. There are chrome highlights on the front of the car that extend through the sides to the rear of the vehicle. The projector headlamps equipped with Daytime Running Lamps and LED Rear Combination Lamps are highlights of the exteriors of the vehicle. The lights have the Lead Me to Vehicle/Follow Me Home functionality which lights up the road ahead for a short duration. The premium all-black interiors and comfortable seats symbolize perfection.
- Hyundai Grand i10 - The Hyundai Grand i10 looks sporty and vivacious and it comes with advanced features. The rear spoiler and chrome door handles are highlights of the exteriors. The car also has diamond-cut alloy wheels and a cascade design grille that gives it a fresh design identity. The interiors of the car are feature-loaded with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Connectivity. The steering has a voice recognition system. The Touch Screen Audio Video System also helps in navigation.
The petrol version of the car has engine capacity of 1197 cc. The maximum power generated is 61 KW and peak torque is 113 Nm. The diesel engine has cubic capacity of 1248 cc. Maximum power generated by the engine is 55KW and top torque is 190 Nm.
The 1.6 L CRDi VGT diesel engine creates best power of 128 PS and 26.5 kgm torque. The 1.6 L Dual VTVT petrol engine generates maximum power of 123 PS and peak torque of 15.4 kgm. The 1.4 L CRDi diesel engine creates peak power of 90 PS and maximum torque of 22.4 kgm. The vehicle is also equipped with advanced safety equipments.
The car has a lightweight K-Next engine that helps it accelerate from 0 to 60 km per hour in 5.3 seconds. The maximum power output of the engine is 68 PS. The Alto K10 also has the best mileage in its class, in both the manual and AGS variants.
The SmartPlay Infotainment System provides entertainment on the go. The tilt and telescopic steering functions ensure that the drive is always comfortable. The TFT multi-information display shows the average fuel consumption and engine output. The car also has additional boot space and UV Cut glass that would be very appealing for the passengers. The Baleno has Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with an auxiliary gearbox offering excellent fuel efficiency.
The car is available in two engine options - 1.2 litre VVT petrol engine with 5-speed manual transmission and CVT. The maximum power generated by this engine is 62 kW and peak torque is 115 Nm. The diesel variant of the car has a DDiS 190 engine that has reduced emissions but great fuel efficiency. The maximum power generated by this engine is 55.2 kW and peak torque is 190 Nm. The fuel efficiency of the petrol engine is 21.4 km/l and that of the diesel engine is 27.39 km/l.
The car is available in petrol and diesel variants with a 1.2 litre Kappa Dual VTVT petrol engine and a 1.2 litre 2nd Gen U2 CRDi diesel engine. The petrol motor generates 83 PS of maximum power and 11.6 kgm of torque. The diesel engine creates top power of 75 PS and 19.4 kgm of peak torque.
The features mentioned above are for the top spec models. All the listed features may not be available in the lower variants.
Models like the Maruti Alto K10 and Hyundai Grand i10 are also easy on the pocket, as one can get a basic model of one of these cars with automatic transmission within the ex-showroom price of Rs.8 lakh. However, the low price does not mean that there is any compromise on safety. These vehicles are equipped with ample safety gear to ensure that you have a safe and pleasurable ride.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017