Moving to another city can be quite stressful, and in the midst of the chaos it is easy to forget about your auto insurance. It is important to be prepared and have a clear idea of the requirements to continue on your car insurance policy after the move.
Here we have listed the requirements that you need to get in order, if you are anticipating a location shift in the near future.
Update your car insurance cover
An auto insurance cover that works for one area may not be relevant to another. Hence when you relocate, you should focus on your current insurance needs and upgrade your car insurance accordingly.
For instance, when you relocate to an area which is prone to natural disasters like earthquakes or hurricanes, you may consider upgrading your third-party liability insurance to a comprehensive plan. This cover will safeguard your vehicle from the risk of natural disasters, and additionally, it offers you protection from accidents, theft and vandalism.
Update your address
In addition to your email address and phone number, it is important to keep your permanent address updated in all insurance documentation. This is because the insurance company sends critical information about your car to your home address. This includes information on insurance coverage, rise in premium, renewal, details on No Claim Bonus, etc.
Transfer of No Claim Bonus
A no claim bonus is a discount given by the insurer to a car owner if he has not made any claims during the term of the car insurance policy. In other words, this is a reward for the car-owner for using the vehicle in a prudent manner. If you relocate to a different city, and even if you buy a new vehicle, your accumulated NCB is transferred to your new vehicle. Likewise, if you would like to change over to another insurance provider, you can get your NCB transferred to the new insurance policy.
Network garages for cashless service
Your auto insurance will provide you coverage all throughout the country. In case your vehicle has met with an accident, you will be able to claim for the repair amount,
- through cashless service at network garages, or,
- by paying for the repair work initially and then requesting reimbursement.
- So, when you relocate, you should identify the location of network garages in your new locality. In case there aren’t any, you should keep track of ordinary garages where you can get the repair work done and later request for reimbursement to the insurer.
When you shift to a different location, either permanently or for a duration of 12 months or more, you should ideally get your vehicle registered locally. You need to inform your insurance company about the move, so that your records are updated accordingly. It should be noted that the re-registration process will require a No-Objection Certificate from the Road Transport Authority in the previous city. So, you need to be prepared in advance for the required changes.
Avoid a coverage gap
If you are switching insurance companies, then you need to ensure that there is no gap in your coverage. You should line up the new policy before you cancel the previous one. Remember to confirm the effective start date of your new insurance policy and the end date of the existing one. You also need to confirm with the current car insurer that your policy is being cancelled. Additionally, it is required to print your new insurance ID cards and keep it with you for future reference.
In summary, the above guidelines will assist you in handling your car insurance when you are relocating. However, the terms and conditions of the insurance policy and the coverage depends on the insurance provider; hence it is advisable to inform them about the move in advance, to prevent confusions during the final hour.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Videocon Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- Tata AIG Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017