The monsoon season is notorious for causing serious damages to vehicles on the road. Heavy rains can let loose a lot of issues such as:
- The discomfort of driving through roads that are clogged with traffic due to overflowing water
- The struggle to get parking space in an area that is not prone to flooding
How Can A Comprehensive Insurance Cover Help?
Apart from the heavy downpour, poor urban planning is one of the main reasons for waterlogged roads in our cities. However, with a little foresight and preparation, you can brave your way through the rains around the city. The best way to do this is to equip yourself with an appropriate car insurance ahead of the monsoons.
If you are protected by a comprehensive car insurance, you can file claims that amount to the insured declared value of your car. Claims can be filed for total damage to the vehicle, or for a refund of the amount spent on repairing the car when it is partially damaged. If your policy does not cover electrical parts or engine damage, you need to upgrade your coverage with an add-on cover that provides the same.
- Hailstorms - Hailstones can crack your windows or windshields, letting moisture into the car. A comprehensive cover helps in protecting your vehicle against such situations.
- Flooding - Rising water levels could damage your vehicle’s interiors or its engine. An add-on cover with your insurance policy helps in protecting the vehicle in such a scenario.
- Leaks in the doors and window sealing - Imperfect sealing around the doors, windows and sunroof can let water into the car. It is the responsibility of the driver to keep the vehicle in good condition. If the car is subjected to such negligence, the damages incurred through leaks will not be covered by the insurance policy.
- Damage to equipments - A comprehensive cover will not provide reimbursement for damage to equipments that are not permanent installations in the vehicle.
Tips For Braving The Rains
Puddles and potholes are an inherent part of our roads during the rainy season. The best way to overcome the difficulty of traversing such roads is to drive at a cautious speed. Driving slowly in waterlogged areas can prevent the engine from getting stalled.
Listed below are some essential tips that can help you immensely when you are stuck in the rains:
- Keep the car air conditioning off when you are driving through flooded roads. The AC should be put off when your car is idling in stagnant water as well. This is to prevent the car AC vent from bringing water into the vehicle.
- Avoid cranking your car if it breaks down in the rain. If you try cranking it, water could enter the system and cause damages to the engine.
- Do not start the engine when your car is submerged in water. If you start an engine that is covered in moisture, there will be some serious damage to the system.
- You should refrain from using the centralised locking system for keeping the car doors closed during heavy rains and waterlogging.
- In case there is a breakdown, take the help of roadside assistance to get the car towed to a safe area. This coverage can be added to the comprehensive cover of a motor insurance policy, and it is immensely useful when you are in need of help.
- In the chaos of a flood, it is possible to misplace your car insurance documentation or get it drenched like the other valuables in the car. The best way to overcome this is to always keep a digital copy of your motor insurance policy in your emails. If you have taken the assistance of neutral third-party financial websites for securing an insurance for your car, you can view and manage your insurance policy online. This is a great convenience in drastic situations like floods.
What To Do When Your Car Is Damaged By The Rains?
In spite of precautionary measures, if your vehicle is damaged by the water you should raise car insurance claims to avail a refund for the amount that was spent on the repair of the vehicle. Once your claim details are verified, the settlement process begins immediately. Cashless claims are usually settled within 7-10 working days, and it takes 15-20 working days to settle reimbursement claims.
- Best Tips to Save Money on Car Insurance Renewal
- Best Reasons To Buy Car Insurance Online
- Car Insurance Tips - When Not to Claim Your Insurance Policy
- Top Reasons Why Car Insurance Claims Are Denied
- Simple Ways To Help You Save On Motor Insurance Premium
- Useful Add On Covers To Save Your Car In Monsoon
- Must Have Car Insurance Add-On Covers for Luxury Cars
- Best Kept Secrets of Car Insurance
- Insurance for Car Damaged Due to Natural Disaster
- Insurance for SUV Cars
- Factors Affecting Car Insurance Premium in India
- How to Keep Your Car Protected During Winters
- Car Stolen? You Deserve Insurance As Much As Anyone
- Top Seven Car Checklist before Long Drive
- How to Claim for Accidents Occurred in the Middle of Vehicle Ownership Change
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017