The monsoon season is notorious for causing serious damages to vehicles on the road. Heavy rains can let loose a lot of issues such as:
- The discomfort of driving through roads that are clogged with traffic due to overflowing water
- The struggle to get parking space in an area that is not prone to flooding
How Can A Comprehensive Insurance Cover Help?
Apart from the heavy downpour, poor urban planning is one of the main reasons for waterlogged roads in our cities. However, with a little foresight and preparation, you can brave your way through the rains around the city. The best way to do this is to equip yourself ahead of the monsoons.
If you are protected by a comprehensive car insurance, you can file claims that amount to the insured declared value of your car. Claims can be filed for total damage to the vehicle, or for a refund of the amount spent on repairing the car when it is partially damaged. If your policy does not cover electrical parts or engine damage, you need to upgrade your coverage with an add-on cover that provides the same.
- Hailstorms - Hailstones can crack your windows or windshields, letting moisture into the car. A comprehensive cover helps in protecting your vehicle against such situations.
- Flooding - Rising water levels could damage your vehicle’s interiors or its engine. An add-on cover with your insurance policy helps in protecting the vehicle in such a scenario.
- Leaks in the doors and window sealing - Imperfect sealing around the doors, windows and sunroof can let water into the car. It is the responsibility of the driver to keep the vehicle in good condition. If the car is subjected to such negligence, the damages incurred through leaks will not be covered by the insurance policy.
- Damage to equipments - A comprehensive cover will not provide reimbursement for damage to equipments that are not permanent installations in the vehicle.
Tips For Braving The Rains:
Puddles and potholes are an inherent part of our roads during the rainy season. The best way to overcome the difficulty of traversing such roads is to drive at a cautious speed. Driving slowly in waterlogged areas can prevent the engine from getting stalled.
Listed below are some essential tips that can help you immensely when you are stuck in the rains:
- Keep the car air conditioning off when you are driving through flooded roads. The AC should be put off when your car is idling in stagnant water as well. This is to prevent the car AC vent from bringing water into the vehicle.
- Avoid cranking your car if it breaks down in the rain. If you try cranking it, water could enter the system and cause damages to the engine.
- Do not start the engine when your car is submerged in water. If you start an engine that is covered in moisture, there will be some serious damage to the system.
- You should refrain from using the centralised locking system for keeping the car doors closed during heavy rains and waterlogging.
- In case there is a breakdown, take the help of roadside assistance to get the car towed to a safe area. This coverage can be added to the comprehensive cover of a motor insurance policy, and it is immensely useful when you are in need of help.
- In the chaos of a flood, it is possible to misplace your car insurance documentation or get it drenched like the other valuables in the car. The best way to overcome this is to always keep a digital copy of your motor insurance policy in your emails. If you have taken the assistance of neutral third-party financial websites for securing an insurance for your car, you can view and manage your insurance policy online. This is a great convenience in drastic situations like floods.
What To Do When Your Car Is Damaged By The Rains?
In spite of precautionary measures, if your vehicle is damaged by the water you should raise car insurance claims to avail a refund for the amount that was spent on the repair of the vehicle. Once your claim details are verified, the settlement process begins immediately. Cashless claims are usually settled within 7-10 working days, and it takes 15-20 working days to settle reimbursement claims.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care
GST Update: GST of 18% is applicable on car insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017