Fog is among the most dangerous weather conditions in which you can drive. It reduces the visibility and brings trouble to both new and experienced drivers alike. The best approach would be to stay off the roads when there is fog. Check the weather forecasts and delay your trip in case there is a fog warning. However this may not be possible at all times.
In case you have to drive through fog, remember that such severe weather conditions require the driver to stay completely focussed. Hence, distractions such as talking over the phone or listening to music should be avoided at all costs. Follow these simple steps to stay safe while driving through fog.
- Monitor Your Speed
- Use Low-Beam Headlights
- Roll Down Your Windows
- Use Fog Lights (If Equipped)
- Keep Safe Distance
- Switch On The Heater
- Do Not Drift
- Ask For Help
- Use The Indicator
- Do Not Overtake
- Make Sure You Are Adequately Insured
It is best to go slower than usual when driving in extreme weather conditions. When you slow down you will have more time to react to situations like roadblocks and other such hazards. If the visibility is very poor, it is crucial that you park your car at a safe place until it gets better.
Since fog consists of water droplets that reflect light and even spread it, you should refrain from using high-beam when driving through fog. For other drivers to see you, low-beam headlights are the best option. Your tail-lights and blinkers should ideally be on for other drivers to spot you.
As indicated previously it is best to avoid distractions while driving in such conditions. If you roll down your windows, you can hear the traffic on the road as well.
Fog lights, as the name suggests, are specifically developed for driving through thick fog or other conditions in which visibility is heavily reduced. These lights extend the driver’s visibility as far as possible.
You should keep a good distance between your vehicle and that in the front. In case the distance is too less you will not have enough time to react if things go wrong.
If there is fog on the outside and your windows are closed there could be condensation inside. It is best to turn on the heater to avoid this.
When driving through fog there is a tendency to move towards the middle of the road. Keep a check on this and ensure that you are in your lane throughout.
If needed, you can ask the passengers in your car to help you in seeing the obstacles on the road or oncoming cars.
It is important to indicate your intentions to the drivers at the back. So, if you are making a turn you should turn on the indicator for a minimum of 10 seconds, so that the cars behind you can slow down.
When driving through extreme weather conditions, patience is the key. Hence, trying to overtake is something you should never attempt to do. You could unintentionally catch the driver in front unaware, resulting in a collision.
It is crucial to have adequate car insurance at all times. This is very important when you are driving through extreme weather conditions, as there are higher chances of collisions.
- All You Need To Know Before Insuring Your Car In India
- Looking To Switch Insurance Companies? Read This
- Keep These Points In Mind Before Renewing Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Why Your Car Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Consumables Cover In Car Insurance - Coverage And Claim Process
- The Engine Protect Add-on Cover In Car Insurance Demystified
- Incorporate Changes In Your Car Insurance Policy Through Endorsements
- Why Should You Insure Your Car?
- Saving Money On Car Insurance Is This Easy
- When Should You Get Your Car Inspected?
- How Engine Capacity Of Your Car Is Important In Determining Its Insurance Rate
- When Should You Not Claim Under Your Car Insurance?
- Online Or Offline Purchase Of Motor Insurance - Which One Would You Choose?
- How To Detect Fraudulent Car Insurance Policies
- All You Need To Know While Insuring Your CNG Vehicle
- Points To Note Before Cancelling Your Car Insurance
- What You Should Know About IDV In Car Insurance
- How Insurers Calculate Premiums In India
- Get Adequate Protection Through Car Insurance Add-on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Customer Care
- Bharti Axa Car Insurance Customer Care
- Chola Ms Car Insurance Customer Care
- Future Generali Car Insurance Customer Care
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care
- IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance Customer Care
- Liberty Videocon Car Insurance Customer Care
- Magma Hdi Car Insurance Customer Care
- National Car Insurance Customer Care
- New India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Oriental Car Insurance Customer Care
- Reliance Car Insurance Customer Care
- Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Customer Care
- SBI Car Insurance Customer Care
- Tata AIG Car Insurance Customer Care
- United India Car Insurance Customer Care
- Universal Sompo Car Insurance Customer Care