The outbreak of Zika virus was reported which prompted insurance companies in India to consider providing coverage to those who are diagnosed with this illness. You can now avail a health insurance policy which will provide you coverage in case you or any member of your family are diagnosed with Zika virus.
The first case of Zika was reported back in 1953. Since, then it has been reported many times regarding its outbreak in various parts of the world including in India where the first case was found to be in Kerala.
Will Zika virus be considered as a pre-existing condition
Zika virus is caused mainly by infected mosquitoes. Though there is no treatment, the focus during the treatment process is to treat the symptoms including fever with proper medication. However, if left unchecked, the virus can, however, create serious repercussions for pregnant women. The virus may also lead to the newborn baby being diagnosed with birth defects.
Hence, keeping this in mind, the insurance companies in India have decided not to consider Zika virus as a pre-existing condition. In case you are diagnosed with the illness, the insurer will cover the cost of treatment and not reject your claim provided you submit the necessary documents.
Things to keep in mind before availing a health insurance policy covering Zika virus
Before availing a health insurance policy covering Zika virus, there are certain points you must keep in mind:
- The sum assured offered will vary from insurer to insurer. Hence, conduct a thorough research to determine the coverage amount you need and which insurance company will be suitable for you.
- At the moment, majority of insurance companies in India offer coverage against Zika virus. However, you must check with the insurance company whether they do offer the coverage and the terms and conditions associated with it.
- In most cases, the policy term will be for 12 months and can be renewable.
- It is recommended that instead of availing a health insurance policy which specifically covers only Zika virus, you can avail a policy which covers a majority of vector-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue, Zika virus, etc.
- Though, every citizen of India can avail a health insurance policy providing cover against Zika virus, the terms and conditions mentioned in the policy document will differ from insurer to insurer.
Types of claims for Zika Virus treatment
- Cashless claims:
- Reimbursement claims:
Visit the network hospital and produce your health card to get treated for the Zika virus. Make sure to inform the insurer about your treatment. The hospital will send all the relevant bills to the insurer who in turn will verify them. If all the details are found to be correct, then the bill will be paid by the company to the hospital.
Inform the insurance company that you will be getting treated for Zika at a hospital of your choice. Initially, you will have to pay the bills from your own pocket. However, keep the bills safely with you, and during the claim process, submit them to the insurer who will verify them. If all the details are correct, then the amount spent by you will be reimbursed to you by the insurance company.
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.