India is a land of vibrant colours, a destination of myriad hues, designed to open your eyes to new wonders. India has a long history of artefacts, with Indian products finding a fan base across the globe. It is a known fact that Indian made ornaments decorate some of the most popular spots in the world, with millions of tourists coming down to India to get a first-hand taste of its splendour.
Indian jewellers are famous across the world, a trend which has been alive for centuries. In the past kings and queens of different nations welcomed Indian artisans and craftsmen with open arms, artisans who crafted exquisite creations for them. Indian jewellery is a sought after commodity in international markets, commanding a high value largely due to its intricacy and design.
There is a special place for jewellery in Indian traditions and customs, with thousands of unique designs to cater to different tastes. There are many reasons why jewellery is significant in Indian culture and heritage, some of which are mentioned below.
- Adornment – Jewellery is considered as the perfect adornment, an accessory which brings out beauty, making one stand out. Gold and diamond jewellery have been worn by nobility, kings and queens for centuries, highlighting their features and reflecting their regal nature. Every piece of jewellery worn by a person has certain significance, for instance a mangalsutra signifies that the woman wearing it is married. Indians have purchased gold jewellery without second thought about rising gold prices, buying ornaments for different occasions.
- Gifts – Jewellery is gifted on most auspicious occasions in India. Most Indians believe in gifting gold ornaments for celebrations like birthdays or anniversaries. Women are gifted gold jewellery for different phases in life, with each gift showcasing a socially significant event. For example, rings are generally presented at birth, chains when they come of age, necklaces and bangles before weddings, etc. Gold jewellery has dual benefits, it acts not only as a beauty enhancer but also an astute investment. Gifting gold to women at her wedding is referred as “Stridhan”, translating to wealth of a woman. Jewellery, in India is essentially the wealth of a woman and is a reflection of her strength and resolve.
- Investment – Indians are not known to be frivolous with their hard earned money, deciding to invest it rather than spend it mindlessly. With gold prices on a high across the globe, investing in gold jewellery is the perfect solution for Indians wishing to invest smartly. Gold rates in India are on a roller-coaster ride and it makes sense to buy gold jewellery to offset any changes in the economy. With not many modes to invest in gold available to most Indians, jewellery becomes the best option for them, as it can be easily purchased and doubles up as an investment which can be easily liquidated in times of need.
- Cultural significance – Every region in the country has a unique culture and tradition, which is often reflected through their designs. Traditional jewellery from different parts of India are an integral portion of the lives of people in that region, being of great significance to them. It is this cultural uniqueness which have made Indian jewellery extremely desired across the world. It is often through jewellery that other people get to know about a particular culture and tradition, thus jewellery has helped enlighten thousands of people about a particular culture.
Read more on Gold
- Auspicious Days to Buy Gold in 2020
- Auspicious Days to Buy Gold in 2019
- Auspicious Days to Buy Gold in 2018
- Auspicious Days to Buy Gold in 2017
- Auspicious Days To Buy Gold In 2016
- Buying Gold This Akshaya Tritiya
- Buying Gold On Onam
- Buying Gold This Dhanteras
- Celebrating Diwali With Gold
- Buying Gold On Makar Sankranti
- Auspicious Days To Buy Gold In 2015
- Ugadi – A Great Time To Buy Gold
- Gold And Devaluation
- Gold Price Valuation In India
- Reasons Why Gold Rates Fell Since February
- Why Is Gold Rate Fluctuating
- Why Investing In Gold Is A Golden Opportunity
- How Gold Rate Fluctuation Affects Indian Economy
- Top 8 Reasons to Invest in Gold
- How Does Gold Investment Affect Indian Economy?
- How Will Restricting Gold Imports in India Affect Gold Rates?
- Tax on Gold 2016
- Is Buying Gold a Good Investment in 2016
- Top 5 Factors That Affect Gold Rate In India
- Why Gold Prices Are Up