Since October 2013, the Traffic Police has used the e-Challan to levy fines on individuals who break the traffic rules. In case an individual breaks a traffic rule, an SMS along with the Challan number is sent to his/her mobile number. The penalty must be paid within 60 days from the date the e-Challan is given. The procedure to check the status of the e-Challan is simple and can be completed online.
Traffic Rules in Kolkata
The different traffic rules that must be followed in Kolkata are mentioned below:
- Overtaking rules must be followed.
- You can drive or ride the vehicle off-road.
- Helmet or seatbelt must be worn.
- You cannot use a mobile phone while driving or riding.
- Traffic signal rules must be followed.
The procedure to check the status of the e-Challan is mentioned below:
- Go to https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/.
- Click on ‘Get Challan Details’.
- Next, enter the Driving License (DL) number, vehicle number, or challan number.
- Enter the captcha.
- Click on ‘Get Detail’ to check the relevant information.
The e-Challan can be paid both offline as well as online. The different methods by which the e-Challan can be paid are mentioned below:
The different methods by which you can pay the e-Challan offline are mentioned below:
- By sending a money order to the Kolkata Traffic Police.
- By sending a Pay Order, Cheque, or Demand Draft via courier to the Kolkata Traffic Police headquarters.
- Visit the Kolkata Traffic Police headquarters and make the payment.
- You can make the payment to a Kolkata Traffic Police officer. However, vehicle and e-Challan details must be provided before the payment can be made.
The procedure to make the e-Challan payment via Paytm is given below:
- Download the Paytm app or visit the official website of Paytm.
- Log in to your account by entering the mobile number and password.
- Click on ‘More’.
- Next, select ‘Other Services’ or ‘City Services’.
- Choose the traffic authority.
- Next, you will need to enter the relevant details such as the DL number, vehicle number, Registration Certificate (RC) number, and e-Challan number.
- Choose ‘Proceed’.
- Next, enter the amount that must be paid. You can make the payment via UPI, credit card, net banking, or debit card.
Official Website of West Bengal Traffic Police
The procedure to make the payment on the official website of West Bengal Traffic Police is mentioned below:
- Visit http://www.wbtrafficpolice.com/index.php.
- Click on ‘GRIPS Online Fine Payment’.
- Enter the depositor’s name, address, mobile number, vehicle number, office name, police station, section, compound slip number, compounding officer name, issue date, payment mode, and the amount that must be paid.
- Click on ‘Pay Now’ to complete the procedure.
Official Website of Kolkata Traffic Police
The procedure to make the payment on the official website of Kolkata Traffic Police is mentioned below:
- Visit kolkatatrafficpolice.gov.in.
- Click on ‘Make Online Payment’.
- On the next page, enter the vehicle number, chassis number, email ID, and mobile number.
- Select ‘Get OTP’. Enter the OTP that is sent to the registered mobile number.
- Click on ‘Confirm’. The e-Challan details will be displayed.
- Choose the case and enter the payment details to complete the procedure.