What is an E-Challan
The system of the e-Challan had been introduced in October, 2013. This had replaced the paper challan system. An e-challan mixes state-of-the-art technology and also the Traffic Police of the city services. An ANPR camera will record the violation and immediately send the screen grab to the nearest police room.
Traffic Rules and Regulations in Mumbai
- When the traffic light turns amber, you should stay alert. This light means that you will need to start the vehicle and the light will change soon.
- When the traffic light turns red, you have to come to a stop and not cross the line. If your vehicle crosses the stop line, it will be an offence.
- When the light is flashing red, you need to stop vehicle before you check if the road is clear and then proceed.
- When the traffic light is green, you need to move your vehicle forward.
- If the light is at an intersection, then, you have to move forward slowly.
Pay Your Mumbai Traffic E-Challan Online
Via the Website
- Step 1:Visit the website https://mahatrafficechallan.gov.in/payechallan/PaymentService.html and type in your registration number and last 4 digits of the chassis number.
- Step 2:After you log in, you will be taken to a page with all the fines.
- Step 3:Choose the fee and make payment via debit or credit card.
- Step 1:Go to the Paytm app and choose 'More’.
- Step 2:Select ‘City Services’ and click on 'Other Services' and choose ‘Challan’.
- Step 3:Choose the traffic authority.
- Step 4:Key in details like registration certificate number, e-challan number, driving licence, and vehicle number.
- Step 5:Choose ‘Proceed’
- Step 6:Enter the fine amount and complete the payment.
Via the Parivahan Website
- Step 1:Visit the website https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan
- Step 2:Key in vehicle number, challan number, and DL (Driving Licence) mumber.
- Step 3:Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Get Details’
- Step 4:Verify details of the traffic offence and make payment.
How to Check Traffic Fine and e-Challan Status Online
- Step 1:Go to https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/
- Step 2:Choose ‘Check Challan Status’
- Step 3:Enter your challan number or vehicle number or driving licence (DL) number.
- Step 4:Enter the captcha code and chose ‘Get Detail'.
- Step 5:You will be directed to a page with all violations detail.
- Step 6:Make the payment for the required transaction ID.
Mumbai Traffic Police Challan Fees
|Traffic Offence||New Traffic Fine|
|No PUC copy while driving||Rs.2,000|
|Violation of Air Pollution Standards or excess black smoke emission||Rs.10,000|
|No Driving Licence while driving||Rs.5,000|
|No valid Insurance while driving||Rs.2,000|
|Going through a Red light||Rs.1,000|
|Over-speeding or going over the speed limit||Rs.1,000 – Cars Rs.2,000 – Commercial vehicles|
|Over-speeding along with dangerous driving||Rs.5,000 and suspension of licence for 3 months|
|No seatbelt while driving||Rs.1,000|
|No seatbelt is worn by passengers in the rear seat||Rs.1,000|
|Driving a bike, scooter, or scooty with sandals or flip-flops||Rs.1,000|
|Driving with more than a single passenger on 2-wheeler||Rs.1,000|
|No helmet while driving/pillion on a 2-wheeler||Rs.1,000 + suspended licence for 3 months|
|Jumping a Red light and driving dangerously||Rs.5,000 and suspended licence for 3 months|
|Disobeying the directions of a police officer||Rs.2,000|
|Over-speeding with dangerous driving as well as disobeying a police officer||Rs.7,000|
|Not allowing an Emergency Vehicle to pass-through||Rs.10,000|
|Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs||Rs.10,000 and a Court Challan|
|Use of mobile phone while driving||Rs.5,000 and suspended licence for 3 months|
|No High Security Number Plate while driving||Rs.2,000|
|Taking selfies while driving||Rs.2,000|
|Using a private car for commercial purposes||Rs.2,000|
|Minor driving||Rs.25,000 and imprisonment for 3 years|
|Driving without a front or rear bumper guard||Rs.1,000|
|Driving on the opposite side on a one-way road||Rs.500|
How to Pay Traffic Challan Online in Mumbai FAQs
What will happen if I do not pay the amount of my e-challan in Mumbai?
If you do not pay the E-Challan, a police officer will visit your registered address and collect it. If the payment has still not made, then, then, you will be called to court and justify yourself.
Who has been authorised to collect traffic fines in Mumbai?
The Mumbai Traffic Police has been authorised to collect fines in Mumbai.
How can I check my traffic challan online in Mumbai?
You can check your traffic challan by visiting the official website https://mahatrafficechallan.gov.in/payechallan/PaymentService.html. You can check for fines and make payments through the website as well.